The Ionian Mission by Patrick O'Brian

The Ionian Mission (original 1981; edition 1997)

by Patrick O'Brian

Series: Aubrey-Maturin (8)

Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin, veterans now of many battles, return in this novel to the seas where they first sailed as shipmates. But Jack is now a senior captain commanding a line-of-battle ship in the Royal Navy's blockade of Toulon, and this is a longer, harder, colder war than the dashing frigate actions of his early days. A sudden turn of events takes him and Stephen off on a hazardous mission to the Greek Islands, where all his old skills of seamanship and his proverbial luck when fighting against odds come triumphantly into their own.… (more)
Member:caledfwlch
Title:The Ionian Mission
Authors:Patrick O'Brian
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (1997), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

The Ionian Mission by Patrick O'Brian (1981)

English (27)  Spanish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (30)
Spectacular - one of the best I've read of the series so far. ( )
  JohnNienart | Jul 11, 2021 |
Well, this was the first one of these that I had a little trouble finishing. It a lot going on here. I mean, of course the writing is beautiful, the language incredible, but I’ll admit I was a bit bored. ( )
  BooksForDinner | May 14, 2021 |
This book seems to just be going on fumes from previous action filled novels. Also, cliff hanger novels I do not like.

I don't have much to say considering I didn't really like the book. Nothing much happened in very many pages. The only ones that should read this are people wanting to complete the story about Aubrey/Maturin. ( )
  bratell | Dec 25, 2020 |
Book number eight in O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series, featuring action on the high seas during the Napoleonic Wars.

Although there is less action in this one than usual. Indeed, for much of the novel, there is incident after incident of utterly failing to engage with the enemy for one reason or another. You'd think this might be dull, but I found this one as pleasantly readable as any of them. And you'd think it would be frustrating, which is actually is, but it's frustrating the way I believe it's meant to be, as you vividly experience the characters' desire for battle and success along with them.

And, of course, there is O'Brian's usual low-key humor scattered throughout it all to make it much more fun, no matter what is or isn't going on, plot-wise. ( )
  bragan | Apr 22, 2020 |
O'Brian is as excellent as ever. Rich characterisation, evocative prose, an intriguing plot which balances action with realism. Superb ( )
  malcrf | Mar 16, 2020 |

Patrick O'Brianprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hunt, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tull, PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mariae sacrum.
Marriage was once represented as a field of battle rather than a bed of roses, and perhaps there are some who may still support this view; but just as Dr Maturin had made a far more unsuitable match than most, so he set about dealing with the situation in a far more compendious, peaceable and efficacious way than the great majority of husbands.

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393308219, 0393037088

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,519,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible