Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from…

Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents (2014)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Won this book in the giveaway.
Very nice book. Really informative in a fun reading style good for both adults and children.
Little known facts about various Presidents when they were growing up. This was an unfinished early copy, would love to read the finished book, because the illustrations were very fun in a cartoonish manner.
This is probably one of my favorite books I've read in a while. ( )
  hredwards | May 17, 2015 |
id Presidents is a fun, fact-filled book. My daughter, and I, loved learning that our presidents were not perfect kids but were often mischievous, funny, scared, brave just like kids everywhere. We giggled and laughed and were touched by the bravery and determination of many of the presidents. It lead to good discussions about why there was only one Black president and why no women have been elected. Good history books should lead to further inquiry and open discussion and this is exactly what Kid Presidents does with its compelling stories and beautiful illustrations. Thank you to NetGalley for giving me this opportunity to review this book for an honest review. ( )
  Karen59 | Mar 14, 2015 |
3.25-3.5 Stars
A fun collection of interesting tidbits about some of the U.S. Presidents during their childhood years. The sections are loosely separated by topics, not chronological order, and not every POTUS has a story. A starting place for younger kids interested in history and how leaders are just like everyone else. Lots of humorous illustrations.

Net Galley Feedback ( )
  LibStaff2 | Mar 2, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love these types of books and though they are marketed towards children, adults stand a lot to learn too. I think this book in particular is very successful as humanizing our past presidents. Often times we think of U.S. Presidents as out of touch or above reality, but they were kids once. They disobeyed their parents and struggled with school. I think this is important to remember whether you are young or old.

In any case, this book is well written, well organized and chalk full of fun illustrations and facts. I think I will be passing this one on to one of my nieces or nephews knowing they will enjoy it too. ( )
  rosylibrarian | Jan 20, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Which president could ride bareback and do trick riding? Which had a stutter? Who collected arrowheads? Who was bullied by his big brother? These and many other questions are answered in Kid Presidents by David Stabler. This interesting book of presidential facts shows U.S. Presidents in a way kids can understand: as kids. Filled with funny illustrations and interesting facts, it would be hard for any reader to come away from it without learning something new. My only complaint is that only some presidents received full sections in the book, while others only had a sentence or two written about them.

I appreciate the references listed in the back for where children can find more information on some of the presidents. This is a good book for getting young children interested in history and the U.S. Presidents. ( )
  jugglingpaynes | Jan 18, 2015 |
Once upon a time, a Virginia farm boy named George Washington was playing with a hatchet in his parents' garden. (intro.)
He was a brave general who led the North to victory in the Civil War.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Kid Presidents was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,175,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible