The Lake of Dead Languages: A Novel by Carol…

The Lake of Dead Languages: A Novel (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Carol Goodman

Twenty years ago, Jane Hudson fled the Heart Lake School for Girls in the Adirondacks after a terrible tragedy. The week before graduation, three lives were taken, all victims of suicide. Only Jane was left to carry the burden of a mystery that has stayed hidden for more than two decades. Now Jane has returned as a Latin teacher, recently separated and hoping to make a fresh start with her young daughter. But ominous messages from the past dredge up forgotten memories. And once again, young, troubled girls are beginning to die.… (more)
Member:krranky
Title:The Lake of Dead Languages: A Novel
Authors:Carol Goodman
Info:Ballantine Books (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:**

The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman (2002)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (amyblue, lahochstetler)
    Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris (dmenon90)
    dmenon90: Boarding school, buried history, disturbed protagonist, a whodunit-type narrative, layered story with themes of adolescent longing and yearning, cliques and betrayals.
    The Chatham School Affair by Thomas H. Cook (amyblue)

English (58)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (60)
It was a very well plotted and captivating tale of buried secrets. Jane knows that she is the only living soul that knows the truth behind the deaths of her friends from twenty years ago. She had hoped and prayed that it would never come to light but now it has. Someone has found her journal with the details of the deaths and begins to recreate the past. I have read a couple Carol Goodman's other books but I believe this one is absolutely her best. The story jumps back and forth between Jane's past and present but is very easy to follow. Anyone that likes a well told mystery should give this author a try. ( )
  Carol420 | May 10, 2019 |
  Carol420 | May 10, 2019 |
This book is quite the page turner. Set at an all girls boarding school, this mystery novel weaves together a scintillating portrait of teenage angst and gothic romanticism. Told through the lens of main character Jane Hudson, one is able to experience Jane's world as a naive adolescent and as a single mother rediscovering herself while forcing her to re-examine her past. ( )
  Amberlee1208 | Sep 20, 2017 |
While not a perfect book (the conclusions to the various mysteries became somewhat transparent as the book came to a close), I enjoyed the pace and tone of the book. There was an almost "otherness", a dream-like quality the events and main characters, which jarred (in a good way) with the realism of the minor characters and the setting. Even though I had personally correctly solved all of the mysteries before they were concluded, I still wanted to know how everything worked out in the end. I love unreliable narrators, so that was a huge plus for this book for me. The final "twist" was a bit over the top, but I didn't feel as if detracted from the other good parts of the story. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
Twenty years after her graduation from the Heart Lake School for Girls in the Adirondacks, Jane Hudson returns as a Latin instructor following a separation from her husband. Having buried the trauma and secrets surrounding the suicides of three friends during her time as a student, Jane hopes for a fresh start for herself and her young daughter. However, the school year takes a dark turn as the events taking place seem suspiciously similar to those of the past and girls begin dying again. A deliciously Gothic mystery with a somewhat predictable ending, but plenty of suspense, mythology, and Latin to make up for its shortcomings. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |

Carol Goodmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lodewijk, AnnemarieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, Margaret Goodman, and in memory of my father, Walter Goodman 1924-1999
The lake in my dreams is always frozen. It is never the lake in summer, its water stained black by the shadows of pine trees, or the lake in fall, its surface stitched into a quilt of red and gold, or the lake on a spring night, beaded with moonlight. The lake in my dreams reflects nothing; it is the dead white of a closed door, sealed by ice that reaches sixty feet down to the lake's glacial limestone cradle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,572,793 books! | Top bar: Always visible