The Conspiracy of Us

by Maggie Hall

Series: The Conspiracy of Us (1)

3091972,282 (3.7)6
When sixteen-year-old Avery West learns her family is part of a powerful and dangerous secret society, and that her own life is in danger, she must follow a trail of clues across Europe.

This book was a book that a group of us readers from PageHabit met and agreed to read together for the month of July. I was very hesitant to read this book, due to the fact that it was a Young Adult Novel. Now, I don't have a problem with Young Adult books as a whole, but it makes it a lot harder for me to get into the protagonist's mind when I am NOT as young as her.

For one, Avery was/is very gullible, to leave her home, at the age of 15, to travel across the world with complete strangers is something that I could not believe. I thought it was irresponsible and stupid, quite frankly. As Stellan points out when they are on the plane leaving for France.

I also HATE love triangles. The whole tenson between Avery, Jack, and Stellan is an old troupe that I would love to see put to rest. I am tired of seeing love triangles in all of the genres. This is not how life is. For those reading this SPOILER review, I know that books are supposed to take you out of the realm of reality and into a fictional world, but I just couldn't.

Also, that quasi semi-sex scene in the book with Avery and Jack, was ridiculous and I just didn't believe it was right. There are teeenagers that are going to read this book and think that this is okay. They have known each other for a couple of days and already they are in bed with each other. I really feel like if these characters were 5 or 10 years older I would have been able to stand a lot more of these plot holes.

As for those few things that I did not like about the book, I did find the premise and plot extrememly interesting. I loved the history of Alexander the Great and the 12 families. I really wanted to know more about. I want know about the crypt and the treasure. It's the mystery that got my through the book. The wanting to know what happened.

I haven't made up my mind as to whether or not I want to read the second book, because the first one leaves off in a cliff hanger. I am going to have to wait it out a few days and see how I feel about it. I just finished the book 5 minutes ago and I felt like I needed to write a review on this. This is the first review that I have written about in length. ( )
  Courtagonist | Aug 15, 2022 |
Interesting conspiracy theories and assassination plots abound! This had lots of twists and turns. A fun, light read. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
WOW! This book certainly surprised me; it is a book full of action & suspense. You don't know who is who and who you can or can't trust.
The story starts with the ancestry of Great Alexander, ancient Greek history, and mythology. As my heritage is Greek, it is certainly a subject that interests me. Loved that at the beginning, we are in a small town in the United States (even though the main character has traveled all over the United States) she travels without a passport to different parts of Europe.
The book reminds me the Dan Brown's books that I really enjoyed, but this series is for a young audience, as Avery, the main character, isn't yet 17. It is a book that you have an entangled spool, and when you think that you have unraveled the tangle, boom, another part of the spool is again tangled. I am happy that the other two books in the trilogy are out to read the continuation of the story because Maggie Hall left the first book in a cliffhanger, and I know that the second book of the series also has a huge cliffhanger.
You know that Maggie Hall is a well-traveled author because the descriptions of the places are very detailed. I like her writing, and I also know it won't be the last book I will read from Maggie Hall. Please read the book without knowing anything about it. On my next book haul, I know that the second and third books will be bought. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 9, 2020 |
This book was so much fun! ( )
  margaretkwon | Oct 24, 2020 |
I did not really care for this book. It originally had a lot of great reviews, but after reading it, I found the writing to be too fast-paced, the character relationships forced, and overall pretty bland. There's almost too much description of the detailed movements people make, too much focus on how something is happening rather than why it is happening. Many questions are also left unanswered until the last 75 pages or so of the book. Most of the time, I was very confused on what was going on and the background of The Circle. It does leave a little bit of a cliffhanger at the end that is somewhat provoking enough to want to know what happens next, but it was tough enough to make it to the end of this book that I don't know I'd want to continue reading what comes out next in the series. ( )
  nframke | Apr 30, 2019 |

Maggie Hallprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,554,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible