The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the…

The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) (edition 2016)

by Renée Ahdieh (Author)

In this reimagining of The Arabian Nights, Shahrzad plans to avenge the death of her dearest friend by volunteering to marry the murderous boy-king of Khorasan but discovers not all is as it seems within the palace.
Member:rayneichii
Title:The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1)
Authors:Renée Ahdieh (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages
Rating:*

Work Information

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

English (129)  German (1)  All languages (130)
The book wasn't out-of-this-world cleverly written. However, that doesn't mean that it wasnt a fun or an interesting read. The jump from hate to love was sudden and a little too early but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. Would definitely recommend to others as a light retelling of one thousand and one nights.
I give it 3.5 stars and a respectful nod. ( )
  kritieeee | Jun 16, 2022 |
One hundred lives for the one you took. One life to one dawn. Should you fail but a single morn, I shall take from you your dreams. I shall take from you your city.

And I shall take from you these lives, a thousandfold.

RTC 😊 ( )
  XSassyPants | Jun 11, 2022 |
Pretty smart retelling of the 1001 Nights ( )
  profpenguin | May 3, 2022 |
Great story that makes you want to keep turning the pages. My only complaint is I feel like I needed more connection and story at the beginning. Shazi and the caliph quickly fall In love but the drastic changes of heart they have is hard to accept that quickly. There is really no reason given why the caliph felt differently about shazi to start with, even before she started her nightly stories. Although once things start to progress, it's easy to forget these things and get wrapped up in their love story ( )
  Crystal199 | Apr 11, 2022 |
Nothing like having a front row seat as literally everyone's terrible decisions come home to roost. Perhaps if I'd had more than a passing interest in the characters, I would've been more accepting of the story's need to burn everything down around them, but most of the characters felt like stock tropes instead of individuals. I loved the culture and the sensory details, but amid melodramatic writing and soap opera-style characters and relationships and decision-making, even that lush setting felt stagy.

It is so frustrating, and disappointing, to see so many young adult novels offer such promising premises and fail to deliver anything more than pallid shadows of what they might have been. I hope that the sequel offers greater depth and subtler storytelling, but I honestly don't know if I'll read it. ( )
  slimikin | Mar 27, 2022 |

Ahdieh, Renéeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Delawari, ArianaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

I once had a thousand desires,
But in my one desire to know you,
all else melted away.
Jalal al-Din Rumi
For Victor,
the story at the heart of mine.
And for Jessica,
the first star in my night sky.
It would not be a welcome dawn.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,573,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible