The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

The Nightingale

by Kristin Hannah

Recently added bydimajazz, private library, jenmicter, roznik, gaylebones, priyankamenon, Cassidyx95, audier, THS_LMC, rena75
    All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (LISandKL)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (pdebolt)
    Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi (dara85)
    Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian (cataylor)
    The blue bicycle by Régine Deforges (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: The book from which The Nightingale is "deeply inspired" (read: practically identical except for the ending); itself, ironically, "deeply inspired" from Gone with the Wind - Desforges was brought to court for plagiarism and initially found guilty even though she was later absolved.… (more)
    A Train in Winter: An Extraordinary Story of Women, Friendship, and Resistance in Occupied France by Caroline Moorehead (charlie68)
    charlie68: Similar setting
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (dara85)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (deslivres5)

English (274)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (279)
This was a surprise winner for me. It is a great read. I like most things WW2 and this was no exception. I have not spent as much time reading about what happened to the French people while they were under German occupation. It was great to get that perspective. ( )
1 vote dharper1 | Oct 26, 2018 |
Life is interrupted and changed for the worse when Nazis invade France in 1939. Two sisters, different in age, ambition and outlook, experience the worst of war. ( )
1 vote KatherineGregg | Oct 21, 2018 |
It is the beginning of World War II. Vianne and Isabelle are sisters, two very different women. Vianne stays home, while her husband Antoine goes to war. Isabelle is involved in the war in a very different way. In this well-written novel, Kristin Hannah shows us the effects of war on lives, families, and friendships. This tale is told by one of the sisters, but her identity is not revealed until the end.

I was not in the mood for yet another story of war and loss. But this one is different. Although accurate in its historical aspects, this book shows how family and friendship and love can survive the terrible and unimaginable horrors of war.

This is an unforgettable book, and it will make a truly unforgettable and life-changing movie. ( )
1 vote Sandralovesbooks | Oct 16, 2018 |
Opening line: "If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are." (words of the book's narrator)

No one warned me to keep a box of tissues at the ready as I devoured this book; but weep, I did. Very few stories move me quite so, but this is the one for me so far this year. It's a story war; of sisters; of loss; of love hidden away to keep the heartache at bay; of tremendous courage and sacrifice and of forgiveness and redemption.

I was immediately captivated by the author's superb command of language. The exquisite prose draws the reader in where one could experience the story with all five senses. Hannah's meticulous attention to the historic record and its many details was spot on while she still evoked a beautifully written fictional account of the sisters' lives. This is a book that lingered a while with me. It begged the question, "What would you do if put into a similar situation?" I honestly do not know how I would react when faced with such painful and challengin choices. Would I have the courage to choose; to go on; to protect others? Who can say?

Synopsis (from publisher's website):
France, 1939 - In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn't believe that the Nazis will invade France … but invade they do, in droves of marching soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill the skies and drop bombs upon the innocent. When a German captain requisitions Vianne's home, she and her daughter must live with the enemy or lose everything. Without food or money or hope, as danger escalates all around them, she is forced to make one impossible choice after another to keep her family alive.

Vianne's sister, Isabelle, is a rebellious eighteen-year-old girl, searching for purpose with all the reckless passion of youth. While thousands of Parisians march into the unknown terrors of war, she meets Gäetan, a partisan who believes the French can fight the Nazis from within France, and she falls in love as only the young can … completely. But when he betrays her, Isabelle joins the Resistance and never looks back, risking her life time and again to save others.

With courage, grace, and powerful insight, bestselling author Kristin Hannah captures the epic panorama of World War II and illuminates an intimate part of history seldom seen: the women's war. The Nightingale tells the stories of two sisters, separated by years and experience, by ideals, passion and circumstance, each embarking on her own dangerous path toward survival, love, and freedom in German-occupied, war-torn France—a heartbreakingly beautiful novel that celebrates the resilience of the human spirit and the durability of women. It is a novel for everyone, a novel for a lifetime. ( )
1 vote KateBaxter | Oct 12, 2018 |
This book will stay with me for a long time! I don’t even know where to begin, these women were so heroic! I can’t even begin to imagining living life like they did. This truly tugged at me feelings and you hurt right along with these characters, and felt like you were fighting the fight with them. This will be on my list of top 10 all time favorites! I also just loved Kristin Hannah’s writing! ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
The lights are going out all over Europe; We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime. ---SIR EDWARD GREY, ON WORLD WAR I
Asking yourself a question, that's how resistance begins. And then ask that very question to someone else. ---REMCO CAMPERT
If you're going through hell, keep going. ---WINSTON CHURCHILL
To Matthew Shear. Friend. Mentor. Champion. You are missed.
And to Kaylee Nova Hannah, the newest star in our world.
Welcome, baby girl.
I know that grief, like regret, settles into our DNA and remains forever a part of us.
The stairs unfold from the ceiling like a gentleman extending his hand.
"I think, as this war goes on, we will all have to look more deeply. These questions are not about them, but about us."
"We are all fragile, Isabelle. It's the thing we learn in war."
If I had told him the truth long ago, or had danced and drunk and sung more, maybe he would have seen me instead of a dependable, ordinary mother. He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.

Vianne and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Vianne lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Vianne and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Vianne and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions.

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes Kristin Hannah’s next novel. It is an epic love story and family drama set at the dawn of World War II. She is the author of twenty-one novels. Her previous novels include Home Front, Night Road, Firefly Lane, Fly Away, and Winter Garden.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

"An epic love story and family drama set at the dawn of World War II"--Provided by publisher."Viann and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Viann lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Viann and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Viann and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,127,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible