The Nightingale

by Kristin Hannah

"From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes Kristin Hannah's next novel. It is an epic love story and family drama set at the dawn of World War II. She is the author of twenty-one novels. Her previous novels include Home Front, Night Road, Firefly Lane, Fly Away, and Winter Garden"-- "Viann and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Viann lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Viann and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Viann and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions. Vivid and exquiste in its illumination of a time and place that was filled with great monstrosities, but also great humanity and strength, Kristin Hannah's novel will provoke thought and discussion that will have readers talking long after they turn the last page"--… (more)

English (394)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  All languages (401)
  archivomorero | Jun 28, 2022 |
Star and a half for vivid descriptions of scenery and food. Zev please don't read this again ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 20, 2022 |
Another great Hannah novel. This one is based on two French sisters. Vianne is the reliable older sister, who is married with a child when the war breaks out. Her younger sister, Isabelle, is the trouble-maker who wants to do something tangible to defeat Germany. Both contribute in their own way and both make great sacrifices. One sister survives the war and returns to Paris for a 50th anniversary of the resistance, but which sister is it? ( )
  mojomomma | Jun 18, 2022 |
Do yourself a favor... READ THIS BOOK. So heartbreakingly beautiful. I don’t remember the last time I cheered characters on more. So hopeful for Isabelle’s continued strength and Vianne’s resilience. Some books make you realize how lucky you are to live the life you do. I’m beyond blessed for the life that I have and beyond grateful for those that went before me. ( )
  Cheyenna | Jun 7, 2022 |
If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be, in war we find out who we are. Today's young people want to know everything about everyone. They think talking about a problem will solve it. I come from a quieter generation. We understand the value of forgetting, the lure of reinvention. Lately, though, I find myself thinking about the war and my past, about the people I lost.
  taurus27 | Jun 1, 2022 |

Kristin Hannahprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, PollyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The lights are going out all over Europe; We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime. ---SIR EDWARD GREY, ON WORLD WAR I
Asking yourself a question, that's how resistance begins. And then ask that very question to someone else. ---REMCO CAMPERT
If you're going through hell, keep going. ---WINSTON CHURCHILL
To Matthew Shear. Friend. Mentor. Champion. You are missed.
And to Kaylee Nova Hannah, the newest star in our world.
Welcome, baby girl.
If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.
I know that grief, like regret, settles into our DNA and remains forever a part of us.
The stairs unfold from the ceiling like a gentleman extending his hand.
"I think, as this war goes on, we will all have to look more deeply. These questions are not about them, but about us."
"We are all fragile, Isabelle. It's the thing we learn in war."
If I had told him the truth long ago, or had danced and drunk and sung more, maybe he would have seen me instead of a dependable, ordinary mother. He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.

Vianne and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Vianne lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Vianne and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Vianne and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,751,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible