The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

The Nightingale

by Kristin Hannah

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr (LISandKL)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (pdebolt)
    Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi (dara85)
    Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian (cataylor)
    The blue bicycle by Régine Deforges (Cecilturtle)
    Cecilturtle: The book from which The Nightingale is "deeply inspired" (read: practically identical except for the ending); itself, ironically, "deeply inspired" from Gone with the Wind - Desforges was brought to court for plagiarism and initially found guilty even though she was later absolved.… (more)
    Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (deslivres5)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (dara85)

English (236)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (242)
Probably more like 3.5 stars. I found the story engaging, and I was caught up in the twists and turns. The writing sometimes left something to be desired however, and this might have been exacerbated by the fact that I was listening to it instead of reading it. There were many times - especially during emotional scenes - where the writing just kept going, and going, and going, when really one or two sentences would have been sufficient, and would have resulted in tighter writing and a more connected experience for me as a reader.

That being said, I enjoyed listening to it, and am looking forward to the movie. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
The best book I've read all year. It's one of those great, engrossing reads. Kristin Hannah is known for strong female characters, drama, and romance. In her latest forte into historical fiction, she doesn't disappoint. In fact, I hope she writes more historical fiction and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this turns out to be a movie one day.

I was held in suspense as her characters continually fight for survival in German-occupied France. The book was not only an emotionally charged read, but also it taught me a unique historical prospective. Normally, when I think WWII, I envision individuals on the home front in the U.S., England, or Germany. Now I can add occupied France to the list.

Vianne and Isabelle are sisters, but family dysfunction, age and personality differences have strained their relationship. When a German solider takes up residence in their home, Vianne struggles to remain calm for the sake of her daughter, while Isabelle is eager to rebel. Suspense, action, romance, and murder follow suit.

Highly recommended. Although the subject matter seems grim, I didn’t want my journey with the Vianne and Isabelle to end. I only wish I’d read it sooner!
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
I read this book because it was our chosen read for our library Reading Club.

The story begins with a wise woman being forced to leave the majority of her belongings and her home of fifty years and move to a smaller retirement community to live out the remaining days of her life. During this process, an invitation from Paris arrives, and her mind is forced to remember a life that she tried to forget.

As we enter the next chapters, we are introduced to World War II, when France was occupied by Germany under the dictatorship of Herr Hitler. Vianne's husband has been called to serve. Her sister, Isabelle, has been dismissed from yet another school. Their father, Julian present, but not throughout their lives...damaged from the Great War and the loss of his wife. Their relationships strained and damaged by the past and now to endure a new war filled with horrors beyond the imagination.

This book is hard to put down. Realizing that it is a work of fiction does not limit the horrors of the reality of the reign of Adolf Hitler. This book evokes so many emotions and questions... ( )
  shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
4.5 stars, on account of I take issue with the idea of a "good Nazi." ( )
  smiteme | Aug 28, 2017 |
The Nightingale provides a wealth of detail about living in small-town France during the Nazi occupation. It is also a meditation on the evil of war: how World War I transformed one French generation, while WWII another. The book poses the question to the reader: "What would I do in the face of pure evil and barbarity." The central family in this novel answers by putting their lives on the line to resist in various ways and to suffer the consequences of their bravery. Death may be preferable to freezing to death in the winter, or dying of disease or malnutrition, all forced upon the French people by the Nazis. Yet, there are gaping plot holes and short cuts that the author has taken than undermine the book's credibility. It is certainly a satisfying page-turner; but it needs another 100 pages to fully flesh out characters who deserve better. ( )
  neddludd | Aug 18, 2017 |
The lights are going out all over Europe; We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime. ---SIR EDWARD GREY, ON WORLD WAR I
Asking yourself a question, that's how resistance begins. And then ask that very question to someone else. ---REMCO CAMPERT
If you're going through hell, keep going. ---WINSTON CHURCHILL
To Matthew Shear. Friend. Mentor. Champion. You are missed.
And to Kaylee Nova Hannah, the newest star in our world.
Welcome, baby girl.
If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.
I know that grief, like regret, settles into our DNA and remains forever a part of us.
The stairs unfold from the ceiling like a gentleman extending his hand.
"I think, as this war goes on, we will all have to look more deeply. These questions are not about them, but about us."
"We are all fragile, Isabelle. It's the thing we learn in war."
If I had told him the truth long ago, or had danced and drunk and sung more, maybe he would have seen me instead of a dependable, ordinary mother. He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.

Vianne and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Vianne lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Vianne and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Vianne and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions.

From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes Kristin Hannah’s next novel. It is an epic love story and family drama set at the dawn of World War II. She is the author of twenty-one novels. Her previous novels include Home Front, Night Road, Firefly Lane, Fly Away, and Winter Garden.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:47 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,687,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible