The Nightingale: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

The Nightingale: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Kristin Hannah (Author)

"Viann and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Viann lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Viann and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Viann and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions. Vivid and exquiste in its illumination of a time and place that was filled with great monstrosities, but also great humanity and strength, Kristin Hannah's novel will provoke thought and discussion that will have readers talking long after they turn the last page"--… (more)
Member:august8914
Title:The Nightingale: A Novel
Authors:Kristin Hannah (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2017), Edition: Reprint, 608 pages

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

English (363)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  All languages (370)
DNF-ed at about 25%.
The storyline is interesting, but it wasn't grabbing my attention really. I may pick this one up again at a later date.
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
Haunting and sometimes brutal story of two sisters, their lives and and their roles resisting the Germans in WWII occupied France. ( )
  pennykaplan | Jul 22, 2021 |
Another WWII gem. Combining French history during the Nazi occupation, complex family dynamics, and the moral ambiguities of doing what is necessary to survive the horrors of war, this excellent novel encaptures readers. The story of two sisters and their estranged father: one sister is wild and wants to make a difference while the other wants nothing of the sort. Each is forced to make difficult decisions but in the end help work to save lives, as precious few did in France during WWII: helping soldiers escape or hiding Jews, who were being sent to concentration camps. Highly recommended.
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
This was a cracking good page turner. Not overly literary, but I'd put her in the same category as Liane Moriarty or Jeffrey Archer - a great storyteller, not to be scoffed at. ( )
  MuggleBorn930 | Jul 11, 2021 |
This was like reading a really dramatic movie script. I can appreciate that a lot of people liked it but I felt like there was so much missing in the development of supporting characters and over emphasis on emotions and clothes. I'd like to hear Madame Anouk's backstory or anything at all about Gaetan, for example. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |

Kristin Hannahprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, PollyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The lights are going out all over Europe; We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime. ---SIR EDWARD GREY, ON WORLD WAR I
Asking yourself a question, that's how resistance begins. And then ask that very question to someone else. ---REMCO CAMPERT
If you're going through hell, keep going. ---WINSTON CHURCHILL
To Matthew Shear. Friend. Mentor. Champion. You are missed.
And to Kaylee Nova Hannah, the newest star in our world.
Welcome, baby girl.
If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.
I know that grief, like regret, settles into our DNA and remains forever a part of us.
The stairs unfold from the ceiling like a gentleman extending his hand.
"I think, as this war goes on, we will all have to look more deeply. These questions are not about them, but about us."
"We are all fragile, Isabelle. It's the thing we learn in war."
If I had told him the truth long ago, or had danced and drunk and sung more, maybe he would have seen me instead of a dependable, ordinary mother. He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.

Vianne and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Vianne lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Vianne and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Vianne and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,456,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible