The Nightingale: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

The Nightingale: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Kristin Hannah (Author)

"Viann and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Viann lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Viann and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Viann and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions. Vivid and exquiste in its illumination of a time and place that was filled with great monstrosities, but also great humanity and strength, Kristin Hannah's novel will provoke thought and discussion that will have readers talking long after they turn the last page"--… (more)
Member:Kcall101
Title:The Nightingale: A Novel
Authors:Kristin Hannah (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2017), Edition: Reprint, 608 pages

Work Information

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

English (380)  Spanish (3)  German (3)  Catalan (1)  All languages (387)
This was a good book, once I let aside all the prejudices to hate it.

This book has been an adventure for me, beyond the nature of itself. No one that knows me can let me lie and say I like "realism". I trully trully dislike it. But thats my pressumption and prejudice that this kind of work is for the lazy writers who piggyback reality to tell their stories. So I always assume the worst of this books and just can't enjoy them at all, I never feel it calls to my imagination, to wake up my mind and see the world that surrounds me in a new light. However, with this book i was in a conflict, i really really liked it. I could not understand why would anyone who obviously can write a good story not use all their potential and tell... well... a real invented story, and not just... a complex lie. At this point I talked to my friends about this, and one of them gave me a clue, "Realism is about interaction between people, not about the world", and that was the key, that let me put aside all my preconceptions and just enjoy the book by its own merit.

This book is not about world war ii, nor is about france, nor the nazi, the jews or the french even. This book is not about them because it's not its intention to be. This book is about emotions, its built around pain, love, sorrow, hate, shame, pride, regret... it's a book about people growing up, people fighting for their freedom, to protect their loves, to help their friends and themselves, to find their place in the world and to try and make the world become a better place. It's a book about being better than what you where, even if you are broken and your odds are almost null.

I liked this book very much, I cried with the last few chapters, but I don't feel heavy sorrow for having finished it, I don't feel like I've lost something or that I won something. I can just jump to the next book and hope for the best. I will always remember Isabelle as one of my favourite book heroes from now on, but hardly much more. I loved her most of the book, she was the kind of person I would like to imagine I would want to be, maybe because of that I disliked Vianne for a long run, almost to 2/3 of the book, when she won my heart too.

This is a weird book for me, because of my own reasons, but regardless of those reasons, this is a great book. ( )
  GridCube | Jan 17, 2022 |
I have read many novels about ordinary people during WWII in Europe. A lot of them were set in the Netherlands where I come from. I did not know much about the war in France, but learned a lot from The Nightingale. In the end it doesn't matter where the book is set. The cruelty of the Germans, the tearing apart of families, the betrayals, deportations, sacrifices, turn of fate, excruciating deaths are nothing new in this kind of book wherever the action takes place. I wonder why a very well read author like Kristin Hannah felt she had something new to add. To me it was more of the same.

Nevertheless the book was well written and researched and I enjoyed reading it, as far as one can enjoy reading about so much cruelty and suffering. ( )
  Marietje.Halbertsma | Jan 9, 2022 |
Fiction, Read, R2021, 2010s ( )
  JWoods63 | Jan 6, 2022 |
The story of two sisters, Isabelle and Vianne, during WWII in France. I really liked this book. Felt very connected to each character, and loved the detail in the story. The ending of the book is phenomenal. Everything just comes together so well and it is extremely emotional. It's up there for one of my favorite books ever, so close to getting a five star review. Really an exceptional book, that makes you want to keep turning the page. ( )
  Zach-Rigo | Dec 30, 2021 |
no actually fuck this book ( )
  noramd | Dec 17, 2021 |

Kristin Hannahprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, PollyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The lights are going out all over Europe; We shall not see them lit again in our lifetime. ---SIR EDWARD GREY, ON WORLD WAR I
Asking yourself a question, that's how resistance begins. And then ask that very question to someone else. ---REMCO CAMPERT
If you're going through hell, keep going. ---WINSTON CHURCHILL
To Matthew Shear. Friend. Mentor. Champion. You are missed.
And to Kaylee Nova Hannah, the newest star in our world.
Welcome, baby girl.
If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.
I know that grief, like regret, settles into our DNA and remains forever a part of us.
The stairs unfold from the ceiling like a gentleman extending his hand.
"I think, as this war goes on, we will all have to look more deeply. These questions are not about them, but about us."
"We are all fragile, Isabelle. It's the thing we learn in war."
If I had told him the truth long ago, or had danced and drunk and sung more, maybe he would have seen me instead of a dependable, ordinary mother. He loves a version of me that is incomplete. I always thought it was what I wanted: to be loved and admired. Now I think perhaps I'd like to be known.

Vianne and Isabelle have always been close despite their differences. Younger, bolder sister Isabelle lives in Paris while Vianne lives a quiet and content life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. When World War II strikes and Antoine is sent off to fight, Vianne and Isabelle's father sends Isabelle to help her older sister cope. As the war progresses, it's not only the sisters' relationship that is tested, but also their strength and their individual senses of right and wrong. With life as they know it changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Vianne and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,934,719 books! | Top bar: Always visible