The Last Chronicle of Barset (Wordsworth…

The Last Chronicle of Barset (Wordsworth Classics) (original 1867; edition 1999)

by Anthony Trollope

1,428378,165 (4.29)5 / 306
Member:Samuel.Sotillo
Title:The Last Chronicle of Barset (Wordsworth Classics)
Authors:Anthony Trollope
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (1999), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 712 pages
Collections:Your library, Books
Tags:Books

The Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope (Author) (1867)

2019 reread via LibriVox audiobook:
This final book in the Barsetshire series brings together characters from all the previous books. I love the way so many things come together in this book. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 18, 2019 |
I thought this would be a great book to have with me on the plane for a couple of trips, but I ended up reading it only in spurts for two weeks and then racing through the last 600 pages in one day. It's a pretty wonderful end to the Chronicles closing with the last days of the Warden, Septimus Harding. The proto-mystery wraps itself up pretty instantaneously after being dragged out for 700-odd pages, but I didn't mind. I am sure there will be some people who believe Lily Dale to be perfectly marvelous, but I found her mostly unbearable, not because she should have taken up with the young man who wooed her, but because she is so pleased with herself and her abnegation. In fact, when they make the Broadway musical of this book it will just be called "Abnegation!".

I have loved the entire series, although I did prefer them when they were under 400 pages. Next up the Palliser novels. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
'The Last Chronicle of Barset' is a novel about Privilege, and how when you have Privilege you suffer more than common people, whose lives being always terrible, are used to it and don't feel pain. Trollope goes to great lengths to prove to the reader that starving in a hovel doesn't compare to the exquisite pain of not having a new pair of evening gloves. Trollope may have an upswing in popularity in the next four years.

Josiah Crawley had first made an appearance in Framley Parsonage as a poverty-stricken curate of a poor district, far away from the usual comforts enjoyed by the clergy in these novels. Crawley's situation has improved in some ways, since a few of his children have died, but shame is about to come down on his head. He would almost rather the family be put out onto the streets than take assistance from concerned friends.

Crawley's final shame comes about at the start of the novel when a tradesmen, a butcher, pressures Rev. Crawley to pay a bill and so he pays with a banknote that...it appears he's stolen! He cannot account for how it came into his possession. It is the talk of the county and, unfortunately, is spoiling his daughter's chances of marriage with a son of the Archdeacon.

Jane Crawley is too noble by half to let herself marry the man she loves and drag the Grantly's into shame, but like so many other Trollope heroines, she is suspected of the lowest motives and never given information she has every right to possess until the last minute. Her story is a decent one, but the heart of the novel is in the slow fading of Septimus Harding, the former Warden, and Lily Dale, whose continued refusal to ever marry at the end 'The Small House' is tested. She is thrown up against all the former heroines of Barchester, each one, yes, even Miss Dunstable, washed of personality by marriage.

This novel was not as rewarding as others by Trollope, but it at least tied up any loose ends and it did justice to more characters than not. The majority of the authors attention was already turning to the politics of London rather than the clerical gentry that were the heart of the Barchester stories.

Previous: 'The Small House at Allington' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
slow moving but therefore easy to remember.
minister charged with cashing check.
his daughter's engagement therefore in trouble.
lily 's former boyfriend who dumped her wants her back. another guy wants her too. ( )
  mahallett | May 6, 2017 |
My first Trollope and what a one to start with! An exquisitely constructed Victorian world inhabited by vivid characters and a strong plot to carry them along with.

Trollope contrives a plot wherein an impoverished vicar (quite presciently based on my own father) is implicated in the scandal of a stolen cheque. Trollope then uses this storyline to illustrate a range of Victorian societal views on issues of morality, religion, crime, gossip, friendship and, in a subplot, marriage and the role of women in determining their own futures. Along the way, we meet such unforgettable characters as the bishop and his insufferable wife and the ever-present vicar Josiah Crawley who we at once find ourselves both sympathising with and wanting to smack in the face.

The result is a very detailed portrayal of 19th century British life which, unlike Dickens, stops short of being at all an exaggerated caricature of the world of the novelist.

This is the last in a series of six books that Trollope wrote about the mythical county of Barsetshire and if any of the other novels are even half as good as this then that's an awful lot of good reading out there. I'll focus for the time being on the three other novels he wrote that have appeared on the 1001 list. But if I should in fact finish that before I die, I know where to come for more engrossing reads. ( )
  arukiyomi | Sep 9, 2016 |

Trollope, AnthonyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gilmartin, SophieIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Skilton, DavidEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Small, HelenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trollope, JoannaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
West, TimothyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'I can never bring myself to believe it, John,' said Mary Walker, the pretty daughter of Mr George Walker, attorney of Silverbridge.

Anthony Trollope was a masterful satirist with an unerring eye for the most intrinsic details of human behavior and an imaginative grasp of the preoccupations of nineteenth-century English novels. In The Last Chronicle of Barset, Mr. Crawley, curate of Hogglestock, falls deeply into debt, bringing suffering to himself and his family. To make matters worse, he is accused of theft, can't remember where he got the counterfeit check he is alleged to have stolen, and must stand trial. Trollope's powerful portrait of this complex man-gloomy, brooding, and proud, moving relentlessly from one humiliation to another-achieves tragic dimensions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:07 -0400)

When Reverend Josiah Crawley, the impoverished curate of Hogglestock, is accused of theft it causes a public scandal, sending shockwaves through the world of Barsetshire. The Crawleys desperately try to remain dignified while they are shunned by society, but the scandal threatens to tear them, and the community, apart. Drawing on his own childhood experience of genteel poverty, Trollope gives a painstakingly realistic depiction of the trials of a family striving to maintain its standards at all costs. With its sensitive portrayal of the proud and self-destructive figure of Crawley, this final volume is the darkest and most complex of all the Barsetshire novels.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140437525, 0141199865

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,314,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible