Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Rebecca (original 1938; edition 1997)

by Daphne Du Maurier

17,763538214 (4.22)3 / 1641
Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again... Working as a lady's companion, the heroine of REBECCA learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man. And the memory of his dead wife Rebecca is forever kept alive by the forbidding housekeeper, Mrs Danvers... Not since Jane Eyre has a heroine faced such difficulty with the Other Woman. An international bestseller that has never gone out of print, REBECCA is the haunting story of a young girl consumed by love and the struggle to find her identity.… (more)
Member:BSEM
Title:Rebecca
Authors:Daphne Du Maurier
Info:Harper Paperbacks (1997), Edition: 7th Thus, Paperback, 416 pages

Work Information

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (chrisharpe, fannyprice, ladybug74, HollyMS, lottpoet)
    chrisharpe: There are some similarities between these two books: a young woman marries an older widower and moves to his mansion, where the marriage is challenged by the unearthly presence of the first wife.
    fannyprice: These two books reminded me a lot of each other but Rebecca was more modern and somewhat less preachy.
    HollyMS: Since Rebecca was published, observers have noticed that it has parallels to Jane Eyre. Both are dark stories about young women who marry wealthy Englishmen.
    lottpoet: I can see the bones of Jane Eyre in Rebecca
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (HollyMS, EllieH)
    HollyMS: Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel has a similar theme as Rebecca.
    Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier (katie4098)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (citygirl)
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (starfishian)
    Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon (kiwiflowa, lahochstetler)
    The Scapegoat by Daphne Du Maurier (lois1)
    Lorna Doone by R. D. Blackmore (Sylak)
    Sylak: Another saga set against a hauntingly beautiful landscape - but this time its in Exmoor.
    We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (teelgee)
    Thornyhold by Mary Stewart (whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Although I believe that du Maurier was the better writer, Thornyhold and many others by Mary Stewart give the same suspenseful feeling.
    Don't Look Now and Other Stories by Daphne Du Maurier (Z-Ryan, cometahalley)
    The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (DaraBrooke)
    Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt (kraaivrouw, FutureMrsJoshGroban, Headinherbooks_27)
    Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust (bjappleg8)
    bjappleg8: first person narrative; ambiguous supernatural elements; slow unravelling of a mystery in a historical British setting
    Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart (Headinherbooks_27)
    Vera by Elizabeth von Arnim (bell7)
    A Sucessora by Carolina Nabuco (HollyMS, Anonymous user)
    HollyMS: When Rebecca came out, there were accusations that Daphne du Maurier had plagiarized A sucessora (The Sucessor) by Brazilian author Carolina Nabuco. Read it and decide for yourself.
    Bal masque by Elia Barceló (spiphany)
    Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy (WildMaggie)
    La voce della pietra by Silvio Raffo (Lapsus_Linguae)
    Lapsus_Linguae: Another Gothic story with an old mansion and a ghost of the beautiful previous mistress.

To Read (91)
My TBR (4)
1930s (5)

English (517)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Swedish (2)  Norwegian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (536)
I didn't think I would like this book at first, but about halfway through something clicked and I couldn't put it down. Wonderfully complex characters, a perfect read for a blustery October day. Still ruminating on that ending, though. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 19, 2022 |
I absolutely hated reading this book. And that's why it's getting 5 stars.
Daphne du Maurier created this awful atmosphere where a young girl is suffocated by the memory of the late Mrs. de Winter. I absolutely dreaded every moment I spent with the new Mrs. de Winter in Manderley, under the supervision of Mrs. Danvers. I can honestly say I hated Danny with all my heart and it was frustrating to read about her abusing this poor girl who just wanted to be a good wife.
That woman was a sadist. Not only did she mistreat the new Mrs. de Winter, which could be understandable under the circumstances, she tried to get her to commit suicide after ruining her first ball and, she hoped, her relationship. I was shocked.
As you can see, this book really got to me. I don't like this type of books. I don't like feeling powerless while reading a story without a happy ending and I don't think I'll read this one again. But I still think it's a great book, not every book can evoke feelings so strong in someone. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
Mr. Maxim De Winter, widowed from his bride Rebecca, meets the young, unnamed narrator of this book, who eventually becomes the second Mrs. De Winter. She moves into the infamous mansion called Manderley, but can't escape the persistent, almost ghostly presence of the beloved, beautiful Rebecca.

I do not read classic literature very often, but I had an abridged audiobook version of this (4 discs) and was looking for a quick read, so this fit the bill. I really had no background on the plot of this story, so it all unfolded naturally and came as a surprise as I was reading. This would be considered more of a modern classic, published originally in 1938 and I've seen it classified in several genres: romance, suspense, thriller, Gothic, etc. As a classic, I enjoyed this, probably more so than most classics I've read. Reading the abridgment, I obviously got the abbreviated version and I'm sure I missed out on a lot of the finer detail, but as abridgments go, I got the feeling that it was a good one and I got the main points of the story without it feeling too choppy or disjointed. That ending, though! It came out of nowhere and was so abrupt (esp. on audio, I think). I do have an actual paperback book copy on my shelf and I had to go back and re-read the ending to make sure I didn't miss anything. Overall, an enjoyable classic without feeling too outdated. ( )
  indygo88 | Dec 28, 2021 |
A little slow going at times but the writing was beautiful and atmospheric. I found a lot of the characters to be unlikable but I still liked reading about them. This book shows its age in the anachronistic way it talks about gender and race. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
All good romances are about houses, all good gothics are about romances (with houses). This is an excellent gothic romance. ( )
  misslevel | Dec 21, 2021 |
"Rebecca is a lowbrow story with a middlebrow finish,” announced The Times Literary Supplement when Daphne du Maurier’s bestselling novel was first issued in 1938. Critic V.S. Pritchett was even more dismissive in his review, announcing that Rebecca "would be here today, gone tomorrow." The novel did generate positive coverage in Good Housekeeping and Ladies Home Journal, but that kind of praise did more harm than good in elite literary circles.... [the] novel has slowly climbed the path from lowbrow to highbrow in the eight decades since its initial publication, and is now more likely encountered on a college syllabus than at a supermarket checkout counter. You will now find Rebecca on the assigned reading lists of classes on gender politics, British fiction, Gothic style and other academic subjects.... Rebecca ranks among the most acute literary explorations of jealousy.... In truth, plot plays only a small part in the lasting success of this novel. The story itself is simple, and even the supposedly surprising twists are often telegraphed long in advance. What sets Rebecca apart from its peers is its author’s mastery of tone and mood, emotion and psychology.

du Maurier, Daphneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.
'You see,' she said, snapping the top, and walking down the stairs, 'you are so very different from Rebecca.'
We came to Manderley in early May, arriving, so Maxim said, with the first swallows and the bluebells. It would be the best moment, before the full flush of summer, and in the valley the azaleas would be prodigal of scent and the blood-red rhododendrons in bloom.
Forget it, Mrs. de Winter, forget it, as he has done, thank heaven, and the rest of us. We none of us want to bring back the past, Maxim least of all. And it's up to you, you know, to lead us away from it. Not to take us back there again.
If only there could be an invention that bottled up a memory, like scent. And it never faded, and it never got stale. And then, when one wanted it, the bottle could be uncorked, and it would be like living the moment all over again.

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderley again..."

So the second Mrs. Maxim de Winter remembered the chilling events that led her down the turning drive past the beeches, white and naked, to the isolated gray stone manse on the windswept Cornish coast. Working as a lady's companion, she learns her place. Her future looks bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Max de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proprosal of marriage takes her by surprise. She accepts, but whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to the ominous and brooding Manderley, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man.

With a husband she barely knew, the young bride arrived at this immense estate, only to be inexorably drawn into the life of the first Mrs. de Winter, the beautiful Rebecca, dead but never forgotten... her suite of rooms never touched, her clothes ready to be worn, her servant -- the sinister Mrs. Danvers -- still loyal. And as an eerie presentiment of evil tightened around her heart, the second Mrs. de Winter began her search for the real fate of Rebecca... for the secrets of Manderley.
Nameless narrator

marries wealthy widower;

haunting Rebecca.

5 2087

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,364,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible