The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London) by Ben…

The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London) (edition 2017)

by Ben Aaronovitch (Author)

Member:evareads
Title:The Hanging Tree (Rivers of London)
Authors:Ben Aaronovitch (Author)
Info:DAW (2017), Edition: Reissue, 304 pages
Tags:fantasy

The Hanging Tree by Ben Aaronovitch

English (22)  Dutch (1)  All (23)
first book of the series that I've read and nothing in it to draw me back. To have got more out of this I needed to understand the large number of characters' backstories. Finished, but it was a struggle. ( )
  celerydog | Mar 18, 2018 |
I still don't have the impression that BenA knows where he's going with this series. Each episode is kind of fun, and this is no exception, and while there are plenty of references to past events, and the return of a few favourite nemesis, there doesn't feel to be any long reaching plan as to what is going on or why Mr Punch behaves the way he does. This time we've had the sudden inclusion of two new groups of Practioners whom you might reasonably have expected to at least have cropped up in passing beforehand. As well as the unearthing of an important trinket conveniently stored in a pub basement frequented by many.

The initial premise is that one of Lady Tyburn's daughters is caught up in a police raid following up some suspicious drug deaths. Olivia got the drugs from Reynard the Fox who offers the trinket for his freedom. Everybody piles in and the outcome goes about as you'd expect. Peter is funny as ever - the habitual defense of a tired copper coping as best he can, and this uniform banter remains the highlight of the series.

Reasonable continuation of the series but neither as original as the first nor as clever. Hopefully a plan will emerge. ( )
  reading_fox | Jan 1, 2018 |
I didn't find this volume of the Peter Grant/Rivers of London series quite up to the standard of the previous ones. It felt a little too much like Aaronovitch was marking time. Nevertheless it's still very witty and lots of fun to read.

Peter is back in London after his outing to Herefordshire in the last book. His relationship with Beverley Brook seems quite serious. He gets a phone call one morning from Bev's sister, Lady Ty, asking him to check on a suspicious death case that may implicate her daughter Olivia. Seems Olivia and her mates were partying in an apartment in the very expensive One Hyde Park complex the night before. Someone had procured some designer drugs and one of Olivia's school chums had died after consuming them. The pathologist finds that the deceased had damage to her brain that was consistent with practising magic and this damage was what caused the death. So this makes it a case for Peter and his boss, Nightingale, and they start digging into the habits of the party-goers and their families. One thing they need to establish is who procured the drugs. After very little questioning Olivia confesses that she bought them. Peter and Nightingale are also trying to acquire an old document that may show where Sir Isaac Newton's third book can be located. Turns out others including Peter's old partner, Leslie, and her boss, The Faceless Man, are also after this. Various explosions, floods, gruesome killings ensue with Peter at the heart of everything. It's a wonder he survives. It's also a wonder he doesn't weigh 300 pounds with all the snacks, crisps, pints, bacon sarnies etc. he puts away in the course of his duties. ( )
  gypsysmom | Oct 1, 2017 |
Lady Tyburn's daughter Olivia is present at a party when her friend Christina Chorley dies after taking contaminated drugs. Lady Tyburn wants to call in a favour from Peter Grant to keep her daughter in the clear.

I enjoy the books in the series but they do not stand alone. Unless you have a better memory than I do of what happened in earlier installments, which I read two or three years ago, there will be many head-scratching moments. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Sep 30, 2017 |
In this most recent of the Rivers of London series, Constable Peter Grant is back in London, but still in a territory he’s unfamiliar with. This time it’s the realm of the very rich.

A rich girl ends up dead of an overdose at a party- in a place where they shouldn’t have been partying. Lady Tyburn calls Peter with a request (that’s putting it gently): her daughter was at the scene of the crime, and she wants her name kept out of it. Not just proven innocent of the drug thing, but completely not there.

Of course it turns out that there is a supernatural element to the situation, so Peter is on the case legitimately. The long story arc that started six books ago is advanced here: the Faceless Man is involved. And that means Lesley makes an appearance. Peter spends time having a fire fight in Harrods, having a super expensive flat blow up, building new tech things to use around magic, and narrating the story as the world’s best educated and most snarky POV ever.

Of course it’s a five star book. I hope this series goes on forever. It’s funny, it’s supernatural, and it’s the most diverse urban fantasy I’ve read. For that matter, it’s probably the most diverse stuff I’ve read, period. ( )
  lauriebrown54 | Sep 18, 2017 |

Aaronovitch, Benprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blum, ChristineÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Holdbrook-Smith, KobnaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knowles, PatrickCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through the streets our wheels slowly move;

The toll of the death bell dismays us.

With nosegays and gloves we are deck’d,

So trim and so gay they array us.

The passage all crowded we see

With maidens that move us with pity;

Our air all, admiring agree

Such lads are not left in the city.

Oh! Then to the tree I must go;

The judge he has ordered the sentence.

And then comes a gownsman you know,

And tells a dull tale of repentance.

By the gullet we’re ty’d very tight;

We beg all spectators, pray for us.

Our peepers are hid from the light,

The tumbril shoves off, and we morrice.
Tyburn ballad as transcribed by Francis Place
This book is dedicated to all librarians everywhere – for they are the true keepers of the secret flame and not to be trifled with.
I dreamt that I heard Mr Punch laughing gleefully by my ear, but when I woke I realised it was my phone.
And I thought I heard laughter echoing out of the city, but it might have just been the traffic.
Hyde Park Corner is what happens when a bunch of urban planners take one look at the grinding circle of gridlock that surrounds the Arc de Triumphe in Paris and think - that’s what we want for our town.

Suspicious deaths are not usually the concern of Police Constable Peter Grant or the Folly--London's police department for supernatural cases--even when they happen at an exclusive party in one of the flats of the most expensive apartment blocks in London. But the daughter of Lady Ty, influential goddess of the Tyburn river, was there, and Peter owes Lady Ty a favor. Plunged into the alien world of the super-rich, where the basements are bigger than the houses, where the law is something bought and sold on the open market, a sensible young copper would keep his head down and his nose clean. But this is Peter Grant we're talking about. He's been given an unparalleled opportunity to alienate old friends and create new enemies at the point where the world of magic and that of privilege intersect. Assuming he survives the week...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,936,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible