Beta

by Jasinda Wilder

Series: Alpha (2)

Roth and I are on an open-ended tour of the world. Roth being Roth, this means missionary in Morocco, reverse cowgirl in Calcutta, bent over the bow of a houseboat in Hanoi, slow and sleepy on St. John. Anywhere and everywhere, in every conceivable position, and some I didn't know were possible. Life was pretty incredible. Until I woke up in his chateau in France, alone. On the bed next to me was a note. There were only four words: He belongs to me.… (more)

Loved the book, hated the ending...So glad there was another in the series. I loved that Haris was able to offer more support than just driving Valentine around, and I love that Kyrie kicked ass in this. Although this book and this series is sooooo good, it had much of the same plot points of another series that came out about this time....not going to say who, but if you read it, you know. That's not to say I am pointing fingers, but it's like the universe manages to give the same basic ideas to different people about the same time. Great minds think alike and all. ( )
  Rellwood74 | Feb 18, 2021 |
There was so much to know and love about this book and Jasinda Wilder stepped things up a notch with this one. In the first book we see the strong connection these two have and there is more than enough smexiness. They definitely explore things in their relationship. At the start of Beta, they are traveling all over the world and having a blast. But our heroine, Kyrie wakes up one morning and discovers Valentine is gone with a note with blood on it "He Belongs To Me" and she is on the run for her life. With the help of Valentine's friend she manages to escape and they start to track down the location of Valentine. And they discover who is behind it, a crazy and insane woman who will do anything to have Valentine. A woman scorned, Gina (who is literally a woman that needed to be put down years ago). No seriously she is crazy. She pretty much rapes and tortures Valentine and some methods I wasn't a fan of even waterboarding which was pretty intense and not my thing to read in a book. Now Valentine goes through a rough time here. But its not over after he has been rescued. The plot really kicks in and man it never ends and boy was it dang good!! I liked the first book, it was more smooth and slow build up. But now we get into the action and mystery and suspense that this author brings to the story. And I adored the character growth. We don't see all that much from our hero to be honest. We do see how he deals with the trauma and its a tough road for him.

We both needed to know, regardless of the hell we’d endured, regardless of what was still coming, that Kyrie was mine, and I was hers, and we would have each other and be okay.

Our heroine though, she kicks ass!!! Like seriously she really steps up here and does what needs to be done to save her man. And I liked that we have multiple POV. Both from Valentine and Kyrie, but then at the end here we are given a bit of a cliffhanger with the villain of book three. You see, its Gina's father, and its more a matter of family honor more than anything, you see how he doesn't want to go after our couple, but will have to. Yeah I have a feeling book three will be pretty intense and I can't wait to see what happens!!! Beta is an edgy, intense filled romance that packs a punch and leaves you breathless!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Apr 6, 2019 |
If you read my Last Review, you know that I wasn't overly crazy about the first book in this series, Alpha. The overly long intimate scenes hindered the plot development, which prevented me from connecting with the characters. I wasn't gung ho to continue reading the series, until I peeked at the blurb for Beta. And man, what a blurb! I tried to go on to another book - but I kept thinking about the Beta blurb. It sucked me in and I ended up starting the book this morning. I am SOOOOO glad I did. This book is leaps and bounds better than the first one. Everything I did not like about Alpha, was resolved in Beta, then some. Beta is a solid 4 star read, and I will discuss later why I couldn't give it that extra star.

First, for the characters. This book is told in an alternating POV, going back and forth from Kyrie and Valentine and at one part, Vitaly. I really enjoyed the story being told this way, because it allowed us to get to know Valentine more, which is what I was missing from the first book.

Kyrie: I felt like Kyrie regressed a little here. She doubted herself alot, even though she ended up kicking a$$ when it counted. I just didn't like the initial cowering from Gina. However, once she lost her hair, the only person I could see her as is Amber Rose. Think of looks only, and not Amber Rose's attitude. Kyrie is blonde with boobs, butt and curves, and looks good bald. So this is what stuck in my head. Don't judge me.

Valentine: Yay, we finally get to know him in this story, and learn all about his back story and dark dealings as he was trying to make his way in life. I totally fell in lust with Valentine in Beta, and my heart bled for everything that he went through at the hands of the evil witch, Gina. It was an interesting dynamic to see violation from a male point of view, though I didn't think him becoming somewhat catatonic jived with his character. When I first started Alpha, I envisioned Roth as Jason Lewis. He was compared to Alexander Skarsgard later in the book, so I tried to alter my perception, but I just couldn't. He went back to being Jason Lewis for me.

Gina: Holy shitballs batman - Gina is an evil bitch from hell. She took sadistic psychopath to a whole new level. I mean, waterboarding, really?

So I mentioned how the blurb is so fantastic - it pretty much summarizes the first chapter again. And then we are right off into the action. I'm not spoiling anything by telling you that Kyrie and Roth are going to be separated for a time, you can tell that from the blurb. I liked this as it allowed the characters to develop separately, and we got to see a lot more of Harris. The book was chock full of suspense and kept me turning the page. And again, the author got me with some unfamiliar terms that I embarrassingly had to google again. Obviously, I am not quite as enlightened as Ms. Wilder (though pegging and fetching wouldn't float my boat anyway, so I don't mind that I didn't know what the heck they were).

Overall, I highly recommend this book. Why didn't I give it 5 stars? Once our characters are reunited, the sex scenes started to get a little long again. I would have preferred if the author would have ended them sooner, or at the end of a chapter, rather than keeping them going. I found myself skimming to the end to get back to the story faster. So that took off a half a star for me. What happened to the other half star? The story is left unfinished, and I simply could not believe it. We see a chapter from Vitaly's POV and learn that he is planning vengeance. But then the book ends, and the author says she doesn't know if she is going to write another one in the series. WHAT?!?!?!? Don't leave me hanging like that - PLEASE! Lucky for us, it looks like Ms. Wilder is going to write that next book, we just don't know when. Omega

Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Wait...there's more...??
  GwendolynGrace | Jul 15, 2015 |

Jasinda Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Roberts, SummerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Alpha (2)
The wind whistling through the shattered back window was evidence enough that this was no joke and that each choice I made from this moment on would determine whether I lived or died
God, the touch of her lips, the soft heat of her flesh against mine, her presence, calm and comforting, the love and the hope and the determination exuding from her…I soaked all this up and let it spread like a healing salve over the wounds within me."
As long as I know you love me, and that you want me, and that you don’t—that you don’t…regret…us, I’ll be okay. We’ll be okay somehow. One day at a time

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,340,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible