Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Uprooted (edition 2016)

by Naomi Novik (Author), Katy Sobey (Erzähler), Pan Macmillan Publishers Ltd. (Verlag)

Member:drachenbraut23
Title:Uprooted
Authors:Naomi Novik (Author)
Other authors:Katy Sobey (Erzähler), Pan Macmillan Publishers Ltd. (Verlag)
Info:Pan Macmillan Publishers Ltd. (2016)
Collections:Your library, Audiobooks, 2016
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales by Angela Carter (nessreader)
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For similar moods of utter desperation.
    Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (evymac)
    evymac: Fairy tale-like read with great characters and an enchanting plot.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (tralliott)
    Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (Euryale)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (carriehh)
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Because the dang kings keep getting in the way of important magical work.
    The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Two stories inspired by fairy tales (in different ways), with fierce female leads and satisfyingly complex takes on fairy tale tropes.
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (Othemts)
    Blood Ties (The Castings Trilogy) by Pamela Freeman (chlorine)
    chlorine: Both books share a theme, but it's hard to say anything about it without spoilers...
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (g33kgrrl)
    The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: Boh draw inspiration from varied stories and are unique full length fairytales in their own right. Great for lovers of folklore and fey.
    The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker (Marissa_Doyle)
    Marissa_Doyle: Different settings, but both share excellent worldbuilding and an older, emotionally wounded wizard training a young woman apprentice in magic.
    East by Edith Pattou (smallisle)
    smallisle: For the world steeped in ancient tales and the strong female protagonist carried off by a mysterious and misunderstood magical being.
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (majkia)
    majkia: Not entirely sure why this book reminded me of Uprooted, perhaps because neither is really YA IMO
    Baba Yaga Laid an Egg by Dubravka Ugrešić (Othemts)
    The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (Othemts)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (Othemts)

English (225)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (229)
Good writing. Very descriptive. Some scenes are too wordy. Yet still engaging. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jun 14, 2019 |
Read this years ago when it first came out. I still have my paperback copy and haven't given it away just because of the cover is so pretty.

I thought this was YA. It is not YA. It has a pretty detailed sex scene in it, but not as detailed as some romance novels. It was awkward and weird in my opinion and not sexy. The writing is beautiful, but it's just that, pretty and not emotional. It also didn't help that I cared very little about the heroine. This was an overhyped book. This was not anything new or spectacular. I did enjoy the first half since it was like fantasy/paranormal romance, but then the second half was was like a completely different book that I had no interest in reading. ( )
  leighannewrites | Jun 4, 2019 |
An incredible fantasy novel. The writing is stunning, the magic is completely believable and the story is deep and rich, with real moral choices and real consequences. The stakes are very high and there's no cheating in the resolution.
The romance, which some readers have felt was problematic, occupies such a small fraction of the novel that it seems almost inconsequential to me. Call it the difference between 4.9 and 5 stars.
I enjoyed Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, but this is like an offering from a completely different author: mature and assured and very, very good at what she does.
Highly recommended. ( )
  TwoBooksBlog | Jun 4, 2019 |
7/3
Uprooted is such a delight. It's the kind of book that's easy to recommend to people, because it's impossible not to fall in love with this book.
---
This book isn't perfect. But it's fun and glorious and surprisingly funny. The last third is a bit of a mess, and I need to reread it to understand exactly what happened.

But it's a great story about the clumsiest young woman and the grumpiest man ever and how they manage to infuriate and frustrate each other at every turn. Agnieszka (and you thought Katniss had a bad name) should be frustrating and unlikable beyond words, but she's a treasure. Although I am glad I don't have to deal with her in real life. She's clumsier than Bella Swan, emotional, and not exactly brilliant (afraid for her safety, it takes her weeks to realize that she can use a knife from the kitchen for protection). She's also stubborn, brave, and doesn't give a flip what anyone thinks of her, which is quite refreshing. The Dragon (a human wizard with a cool name, not an actual fire-breathing reptile) is determined to always be in a bad mood, but somehow this becomes endearing and he's a great foil for Agnieszka. The setting, a psuedo-Russian countryside with a terrifying forest inhabited by evil spirits and malevolent tree creatures who can possess you and turn you into tree zombies, is nothing short of fantastic. It's also a nice break from the very Western bent epic fantasy tends to take.

It doesn't always flow smoothly: Kasia, Agnieszka's best friend, is more of a plot point than a character and becomes tiresome. Far too many characters are introduced when Agnieszka goes to court, and far too much happens too quickly from that point onwards. Novik has a habit of telling instead of showing, which tends to grate by the end.

But I don't really care. This book made me feel very happy, and I am happy to read it a second time. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
This was an engaging fantasy world and coming-of-age story set in the shadow of Baba Yaga. I wasn't sure how I felt about the narrator using a "Polish" accent for the audio book. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
The pages turn and the Kindle screens swipe with alacrity. An early expedition into the Wood to rescue a long-missing Queen is particularly white-knuckle. Temeraire fans will be pleased to know that a superb tower-under-siege sequence demonstrates that Novik has lost none of her facility for making complex battle scenes clear and exciting. And Agnieszka remains a scrappy, appealing hero throughout. It’s just that one can’t help but be reminded that Novik’s Temeraire series will conclude next year as a nine-novel cycle and wonder why a writer so skilled at pacing a long, complicated chronicle over multiple books has crammed this story into one.

It’s as if Novik is overcorrecting for the kind of Hollywood bloat that causes studios to split fantasy-novel adaptations into multiple films. Here, she packs an entire trilogy into a single book. Agnieszka’s corridors-of-power adventures in Polnya’s capital have kind of a middle-volume vibe to them, while some fascinating late-breaking revelations about the nature of the Wood definitely feel like they deserve their own dedicated installment. I felt this most particularly in Agnieszka’s evolution as a character. While it’s thrilling in the book’s final third to read about her taking control of her own magical identity as a latter-day Baba Yaga, it does feel as though it’s happened without giving her the opportunity to explore a few blind-alley identities on the way there.
added by SnootyBaronet | editSlate, Mac Rogers

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionscalculated
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, David G.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zucker, Christopher M.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our Dragon doesn't eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside the valley.
She'd remembered the wrong things, and forgotten too much. She'd remembered how to kill and how to hate, and she'd forgotten how to grow.

Seventeen-year-old Agnieszka is unexpectedly chosen by The Dragon, her valley's resident wizard, to be his companion in a ritual enacted every 10 years. As she finds herself thrust into a world of magic, she's shocked to learn that she is herself a powerful witch. Prince Marek enlists the help of The Dragon and Agnieszka to help rescue his mother the Queen, who has been ensnared in the evil Wood for decades. But even if they manage to rescue the Queen, will she emerge uncorrupted by the evil spirits who imprisoned her or will her freedom endanger the existence of the kingdom itself?
Agnieszka helps
the Dragon battle the dark
power of the Wood.
(passion4reading)

WINNER OF THE NEBULA AWARD FOR BEST NOVEL ?Naomi Novik, author of the New York Times? bestselling and critically acclaimed Temeraire novels, introduces a bold new world rooted in folk stories and legends, as elemental as a Grimm fairy tale. HUGO AWARD FINALIST NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY NPR |?BuzzFeed | Tor.com | BookPage |?Library Journal | Publishers Weekly Uprooted is confidently wrought and sympathetically cast. I might even call it bewitching.Gregory Maguire, bestselling author of Wicked and Egg & Spoon Our Dragon doesnt eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course thats not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but hes still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and were grateful, but not that grateful. Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life. Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood. The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knowseveryone knowsthat the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isnt, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her. But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.Praise for Uprooted Uprooted has leapt forward to claim the title of Best Book Ive Read Yet This Year. . . . Moving, heartbreaking, and thoroughly satisfying, Uprooted is the fantasy novel I feel Ive been waiting a lifetime for. Clear your schedule before picking it up, because you wont want to put it down.NPR A very enjoyable fantasy with the air of a modern classic . . . Naomi Novik skillfully takes the fairy-tale-turned-bildungsroman structure of her premise . . . and builds enough flesh on those bones to make a very different animal. . . . The vivid characters around her also echo their fairy-tale forebears, but are grounded in real-world ambivalence that makes this book feel quietly mature, its world lived-in.The New York Times Book Review Novik here delivers a tale that is funny and fast-paced, laced with hair-raising battle scenes and conspiracies; it also touches on deeper ecological concerns we grapple with today.The Washington Post… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,568,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible