Uprooted: A Novel by Naomi Novik

Uprooted: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Naomi Novik (Author)

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life. Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood. The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows--everyone knows--that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn't, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her. But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.… (more)
Member:tayritch
Title:Uprooted: A Novel
Authors:Naomi Novik (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2016), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Two stories inspired by fairy tales (in different ways), with fierce female leads and satisfyingly complex takes on fairy tale tropes.
    Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (evymac)
    evymac: Fairy tale-like read with great characters and an enchanting plot.
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For similar moods of utter desperation.
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (tralliott)
    Graceling by Kristin Cashore (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales by Angela Carter (nessreader)
    Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (beyondthefourthwall)
    Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (Euryale)
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (carriehh, beyondthefourthwall)
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Because the dang kings keep getting in the way of important magical work.
    The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker (Marissa_Doyle, Runa)
    Marissa_Doyle: Different settings, but both share excellent worldbuilding and an older, emotionally wounded wizard training a young woman apprentice in magic.
    East by Edith Pattou (smallisle)
    smallisle: For the world steeped in ancient tales and the strong female protagonist carried off by a mysterious and misunderstood magical being.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (g33kgrrl)
    Blood Ties (The Castings Trilogy) by Pamela Freeman (chlorine)
    chlorine: Both books share a theme, but it's hard to say anything about it without spoilers...
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (beyondthefourthwall)
    Shearwater, Part One: An Ocean Depths Mermaid Romance by D. S. Murphy (Othemts)
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (majkia)
    majkia: Not entirely sure why this book reminded me of Uprooted, perhaps because neither is really YA IMO
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (Othemts)
    Baba Yaga Laid an Egg by Dubravka Ugrešić (Othemts)
    The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (Othemts)

English (337)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (340)
Lovely story. I'd say 4.5 stars at least. ( )
  panamamama | Aug 2, 2022 |
Uprooted is a book that, despite seeming so interesting did it take me a long time to get to it, mostly because it seemed so thick and time-consuming. And, when I finally started to read it did I read it during one day. I'm actually a bit impressed by that myself since the book is 435 page long. But, then again I did start it after (or around can't really remember) midnight, slept and then read all through Saturday. A perfect day!

What I like about Uprooted is that the blurb doesn't give away the story, it only gives a hint to the beginning of the book, there are just not any spoilers to what will happen. And, that's pretty much how I'm going to do with my review. Try to spoil as little as possible because the story is so good, and the best is going in blind and just discover everything for yourself. What I can tell you is that Agnieszka starts off in this book as very clumsy, seriously, she drives the Dragon nuts. However, she will evolve through the books progress, and the person that we get to know at the beginning is, but a memory towards the end of the book. Speaking of the Dragon, I liked how Agnieszka and his relationship evolved through the book as well. They really start off on the wrong foot and it will take some time (and clumsy accidents) for them to be more of a team.

Also, the setting of the book, the worldbuilding, and the history of the land is a strong point with this book. I could easily image the world and its characters. One of my favorite moments is towards the end of the book when we get an explanation for what went wrong in the past, why the Wood is corrupted. It's a sad and very moving tale.

Uprooted is a great fantasy book. I liked it very much. However, I did not love it enough to give it a higher rating. It was not hard to read, but I had moments when the story felt a bit sluggish. Not that it was boring, I just didn't feel captivated all the way through the book. That said, it's still a fabulous book, and I recommend it warmly.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Edelweiss for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
I recieved this ARC from Netgalley and this is my honest Review of this book.

In the kingdom of Polnya the dark and twisted Wood is steadily creeping trying to corrupt more of the land all that keeps it from expanding is the Dragon in his tower.

He is not an actual dragon but a wizard who will take a girl every 10th year away to his tower -to do what no one knows. All the villagers know is that when the young women returns,they are changed and can no longer stay in the village.

Everyone in Dvernik knows he will chose Agniszeiskas friend Kasia. She is the most beautiful and gifted in so many ways. Not like akward Agniszieska who is always tearing her clothes or getting her hair tangled.

So it comes as a shock when at the ceremony Kasia is not chosen-but Agniszieska is.

The Dragon is very brusque with her once she arrives at his tower but as time passes she starts to gain an understanding of him and learns that his purpose for bringing her and the other girls to his tower.

In fact it might change her whole life.For better or worse.

I have to admit that I have never read Naomi Noviks Temeraire series before. So this is my first experience reading this authors work

If I would have to describe this book it would be as Pygmalion ( My Fair Lady but I just love Pygmalion more. It has Leslie Howard.enough said) in medievalish times with magic.

The setting is the kingdom Polnya wich I at first thought as merely a made up land but the mentions of zupan and letnik made me realize that it was reminscient to Poland so I started to think of it as an alternate universe of Poland where magic exists.

There are some niggling things I have to mention that I felt could have been improved on.

Certain characters like Agnszieszkas family well I just wish we had seen more of them more show and less telling would have been preferable.

There were moments when Agniszieska would wonder something to herself,that is in her mind and in the next the Dragon would answer her. I felt it distubed the flow of the scene,like there was a gap or I had missed something.

The Dragon sees magic as something precise like a perfect mechanism or clockwork while Niszheska sees it as a living and changing thing.

The Dragon is a grumpy and oftentimes rude man but at least he is honest. Though truth be told sometimes I wanted Niszekha to slap him.

As for our heroine...Niszeska is very relatable. She might have trouble keeping tidy and but she means well and while she advances quickly in her magic powers she never turns into that dreaded thing:the Mary Sue.

She reminded me of Rhea from "The Seventh Bride" by T.Kingfisher.

When it comes to romances in books there is a plot I dislike immensely and that is the teacher-student as its usually an unequal one so I appreciated that Agniazieska was not very subservient to the Dragon Oh she might have been intimitated by him but she has a will of her own and if anyone instigates things its her.

But I have to say if I had gone in to this expecting a huge sweeping romance I would have been disappointed.There are no "I love you-s" altough there is a sex scene.

Altough that scene at the ending was very moving in its subtle way.

The blurb of the book mentions that its like a Grimm fairytale and I agree that its Grimm..but its also very Grim. The woods is such a creepy place It infects people with its dark magic in horrific ways.

And a fair warning its a bloody book. I am talking Game of Thrones the tvseries bloody.

When they went into the woods I was on the edge of my seat.Thats a good thing for a book.

There are two covers for this book and while the old cover is good and the golden rose on that cover is not a pretty cover thingy but something from the book I will have to say the new one is amazing in its colorful simplicity.The tower looming over the village and casting a shadow on the one house really captures the feeling of the book.

So in the end. This is a good book and if you are in the mood for a dark fairytale with a good dose of female empowerment this is the one for you.
  Litrvixen | Jun 23, 2022 |
I could barely put this book down. The characters are effortlessly crafted and portrayed, the language is vivid, and the story is delightfully twisting but entirely comprehensible. The magic system is one of the most realistic I've ever read and the whole conflict is gripping and uniquely conceived. Read this now. ( )
  karimagon | Jun 23, 2022 |
Dreamlike and lovely

I think I will be keeping a copy of this on my night stand for a very very long time. It hits my favorite highlights of descriptive prose, world-building, and faery tale elements. Lovely. ( )
  Jackelopette | Jun 22, 2022 |
Uprooted is not, as I thought it might be after those first three chapters, any of the following: a Beauty and the Beast story; a somewhat quiet tale about learning one’s magical abilities and negotiating a relationship with one’s teacher; or a story that includes intrinsically-gendered magic. What it is, is a kingdom-level fantasy with great magic and an engaging narrator—which packs a surprising amount of plot into its single volume. I recommend it highly.
added by SimoneA | editTor.com, Kate Nepveu (Jun 10, 2015)

The pages turn and the Kindle screens swipe with alacrity. An early expedition into the Wood to rescue a long-missing Queen is particularly white-knuckle. Temeraire fans will be pleased to know that a superb tower-under-siege sequence demonstrates that Novik has lost none of her facility for making complex battle scenes clear and exciting. And Agnieszka remains a scrappy, appealing hero throughout. It’s just that one can’t help but be reminded that Novik’s Temeraire series will conclude next year as a nine-novel cycle and wonder why a writer so skilled at pacing a long, complicated chronicle over multiple books has crammed this story into one.

It’s as if Novik is overcorrecting for the kind of Hollywood bloat that causes studios to split fantasy-novel adaptations into multiple films. Here, she packs an entire trilogy into a single book. Agnieszka’s corridors-of-power adventures in Polnya’s capital have kind of a middle-volume vibe to them, while some fascinating late-breaking revelations about the nature of the Wood definitely feel like they deserve their own dedicated installment. I felt this most particularly in Agnieszka’s evolution as a character. While it’s thrilling in the book’s final third to read about her taking control of her own magical identity as a latter-day Baba Yaga, it does feel as though it’s happened without giving her the opportunity to explore a few blind-alley identities on the way there.
added by SnootyBaronet | editSlate, Mac Rogers

McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sobey, KatyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, David G.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zucker, Christopher M.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our Dragon doesn't eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside the valley.
She'd remembered the wrong things, and forgotten too much. She'd remembered how to kill and how to hate, and she'd forgotten how to grow.

Agnieszka helps
the Dragon battle the dark
power of the Wood.
(passion4reading)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,558,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible