Uprooted: A Novel by Naomi Novik

Uprooted: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Naomi Novik (Author)

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life. Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood. The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows--everyone knows--that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn't, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her. But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.… (more)
Member:BrittneySalazar
Title:Uprooted: A Novel
Authors:Naomi Novik (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2016), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Graceling by Kristin Cashore (cransell)
    cransell: Both excellent YA fantasy with strong female characters and great world building.
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For similar moods of utter desperation.
    Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales by Angela Carter (nessreader)
    Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (tralliott)
    Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley (evymac)
    evymac: Fairy tale-like read with great characters and an enchanting plot.
    Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (beyondthefourthwall)
    The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert (jen.e.moore)
    jen.e.moore: Two stories inspired by fairy tales (in different ways), with fierce female leads and satisfyingly complex takes on fairy tale tropes.
    The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker (Marissa_Doyle, Runa)
    Marissa_Doyle: Different settings, but both share excellent worldbuilding and an older, emotionally wounded wizard training a young woman apprentice in magic.
    Enchantment by Orson Scott Card (carriehh, beyondthefourthwall)
    Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente (Euryale)
    Od Magic by Patricia A. McKillip (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Because the dang kings keep getting in the way of important magical work.
    Blood Ties (The Castings Trilogy) by Pamela Freeman (chlorine)
    chlorine: Both books share a theme, but it's hard to say anything about it without spoilers...
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (Othemts)
    East by Edith Pattou (smallisle)
    smallisle: For the world steeped in ancient tales and the strong female protagonist carried off by a mysterious and misunderstood magical being.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (g33kgrrl)
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (majkia)
    majkia: Not entirely sure why this book reminded me of Uprooted, perhaps because neither is really YA IMO
    Baba Yaga Laid an Egg by Dubravka Ugrešić (Othemts)
    The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (beyondthefourthwall)
    Shearwater, Part One: An Ocean Depths Mermaid Romance by D. S. Murphy (Othemts)
    The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro (Othemts)

English (315)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (319)
I really like this book and was hoping to give it 5 stars but one event (The protagonist, Agnieszka and the wizard, known as the Dragon Lord have a raving sex scene, which in my opinion was totally unnecessary forced me to take a star away.

The story revolved around Agnieszka and the place she calls home, the valley. It is a idyllic world except for the the edges, where The Wood lives and cast a frightening shadow over the towns that border it. Their valley is watched over and attended to by a wizard, known as The Dragon Lord.

Every ten years The Dragon Lord chooses a young girl to take into his tower. No one knows why, it is just a fact of their lives. They know he never harms them, but when they return after the ten years they come back to the valley towns pack their belongings, say their goodbyes and leave.

Agnieszka and her best friend Kasia have come of age and it is time for the Dragon Lord to choose and take away a new girl. Everyone knows it will be Kasia. She is the brightest, the prettiest, the nicest of all the girls. But the Dragon Lord shocks them all and takes Agnieszka.

Ms. Novak comes from Polish stock and she colors the novel with wonderful Polish touches here there. It reads like fairy-tale and I enjoyed it so much until the above mentioned event ruined it for me.

I have another book on my shelf by Ms. Novak and I am looking forward to reading it. ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
Much like the heroine herself, this book should not work. It has all the ingredients for something foppish and cliche and yet it is a very good fantasy novel.

Confidently written, well paced, enjoyable (even funny in many places), with refreshingly angst-free protagonists. ( )
  Sunyidean | Sep 7, 2021 |
Delightful! A sometimes thrilling always interesting romp through Poland’s magical woods. ( )
  MrsHammyMax | Sep 4, 2021 |
I really wanted to like this and I thought it started out as a very promising fantasy story. But it dragged at points, taking far longer than was needed to get to its destination. Many of the characters seem to be cardboard cutouts and there's very little here in terms of character dynamics. And the resolution was too quick, easy, and confusing to make much sense, overall. This just didn't hit the mark for me, but I can see how others might find it enjoyable. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
I meant to write so much about this book, but then the world of 2020 swallowed me whole. I'm deeply saddened by it, too, because there was a lot that I deeply liked/loved/was mleh about. I liked how this one, unlike [b:Spinning Silver|36896898|Spinning Silver|Naomi Novik|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1513872748l/36896898._SX50_.jpg|58657620], didn't automatically turn itself straight into its love story only.

I remember loving the ending, where we get the inference of where the couple is going, but we don't see it yet. I remember most being disappointed by the fact we never met the earlier girls who were taken to the tower and then went "away to the city" were never run into when our main character ended up in the city a long time, too.

I am still interested in reading more of Novik's fairytale stories. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
Uprooted is not, as I thought it might be after those first three chapters, any of the following: a Beauty and the Beast story; a somewhat quiet tale about learning one’s magical abilities and negotiating a relationship with one’s teacher; or a story that includes intrinsically-gendered magic. What it is, is a kingdom-level fantasy with great magic and an engaging narrator—which packs a surprising amount of plot into its single volume. I recommend it highly.
added by SimoneA | editTor.com, Kate Nepveu (Jun 10, 2015)

The pages turn and the Kindle screens swipe with alacrity. An early expedition into the Wood to rescue a long-missing Queen is particularly white-knuckle. Temeraire fans will be pleased to know that a superb tower-under-siege sequence demonstrates that Novik has lost none of her facility for making complex battle scenes clear and exciting. And Agnieszka remains a scrappy, appealing hero throughout. It’s just that one can’t help but be reminded that Novik’s Temeraire series will conclude next year as a nine-novel cycle and wonder why a writer so skilled at pacing a long, complicated chronicle over multiple books has crammed this story into one.

It’s as if Novik is overcorrecting for the kind of Hollywood bloat that causes studios to split fantasy-novel adaptations into multiple films. Here, she packs an entire trilogy into a single book. Agnieszka’s corridors-of-power adventures in Polnya’s capital have kind of a middle-volume vibe to them, while some fascinating late-breaking revelations about the nature of the Wood definitely feel like they deserve their own dedicated installment. I felt this most particularly in Agnieszka’s evolution as a character. While it’s thrilling in the book’s final third to read about her taking control of her own magical identity as a latter-day Baba Yaga, it does feel as though it’s happened without giving her the opportunity to explore a few blind-alley identities on the way there.
added by SnootyBaronet | editSlate, Mac Rogers

McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sobey, KatyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, David G.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zucker, Christopher M.Designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our Dragon doesn't eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside the valley.
She'd remembered the wrong things, and forgotten too much. She'd remembered how to kill and how to hate, and she'd forgotten how to grow.

Agnieszka helps
the Dragon battle the dark
power of the Wood.
(passion4reading)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,430,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible