Roman Holiday {story}

by Jodi Taylor

Series: The Chronicles of St Mary's (2.2 novella), The Chronicles of St Mary's {Chronological Order} (novella 3.5)

1949111,453 (4.03)26
Another rollicking short story from the Chronicles of St Mary's. Question: What sort of idiot installs his mistress in his wife's house? Especially when that mistress is Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator, Queen of Egypt and the most notorious woman of her time? Answer: Julius Caesar - poised to become King of Rome. Or as good as. Question: At this potentially sensitive point in your political maneuverings, who are the last people you'd want crashing through the door, observing, recording, documenting ...?I think we all know the answer to that one. Roman Holiday - an epic, stand alone tale set in Ancient Rome, 44 BC, featuring, in no particular order: an attempted murder, stampeding bullocks, Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile, a bowl of poisonous snakes, a smallish riot, Julius Caesar, and Mr. Markham's wayward bosoms.… (more)

Julius Caesar?

Oh my. Time travel with bumbling historians and fake tits was never as painful as this.

Funny short story and pretty classic mini-adventure for our over-educated fools, but I think I can blame most of the misfortune firmly on the Director's shoulders, this time. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Another short to accompany the main St Mary’s series. While it’s perfectly possibly to follow the series without reading the short stories, I would certainly recommend them as it provides you with some extra adventures and postpones the inevitable moment where you’ll have to return to the normal, non-time traveling world.

Expect everything you’ve come to expect from the series. Now set in Roman times with Caesar (the one that gave it the name) and Cleopatra, because when you install your mistress in your wife’s house, this of course is asking for problems.

The only remark I have is that I would not read it as #3.5. Without going into spoilers, book three ends on quite an important moment with quite the cliff-hanger, and book four opens there, so personally, I would recommend to read it before starting A Second Time, as it probably takes place somewhere during the events of that book. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Just another delightful romp through history as the historians visit Caesar and Cleopatra in Rome. Just a simple visit what could go wrong? But remember who the travelers represent, St Mary's! ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 2, 2019 |
Under strict instructions to simply record and observe, our intrepid historians nevertheless manage to change (or should that be restore?) history by preventing the deaths of Caesar and/or Cleopatra and, true to form, have to run for their lives.

This was a fun and quick excursion to ancient Rome with my favourite historians. Of course the most fun is always to be had when reading how despite their best intentions, things go horribly wrong. All the usual ingredients are here, along with some interesting historical snippets. ( )
  passion4reading | Jun 1, 2019 |
No St. Mary's assignment goes the way it's supposed to. Never.

The historians of St. Mary's investigate major historical events in contemporary time (don't call it "time travel.") This time the assignment is really simple, and very popular; they'll be observing Rome when Caesar has moved Cleopatra into his home in Rome.

The same home he shares with Calpurnia.

They're just going to observe conditions. It's a peaceful day. What could possibly go wrong?

But this is the St. Mary's crew. Max, Peterson, and their colleagues always have way more excitement than they're supposed to.

It's a lot of fun. I particularly like Taylor's narrative voice and Ramm's narration. Recommended.

This book was free on Audible. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ramm, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The word on the street was that we had a project on Cleopatra.

Another rollicking short story from the Chronicles of St Mary’s.

Question: What sort of idiot installs his mistress in his wife’s house? Especially when that mistress is Cleopatra VII Thea Philopator, Queen of Egypt and the most notorious woman of her time?

Answer: Julius Caesar – poised to become King of Rome. Or as good as.

Question: At this potentially sensitive point in your political manoeuvrings, who are the last people you’d want crashing through the door, observing, recording, documenting …?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

Roman Holiday – an epic, stand alone tale set in Ancient Rome, 44 BC, featuring, in no particular order: an attempted murder, stampeding bullocks, Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile, a bowl of poisonous snakes, a smallish riot, Julius Caesar, and Mr Markham’s wayward bosoms. [retrieved 4/20/2016 from Amazon.com]
A leisurely day
trip ends with historians
running for their lives.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,519,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible