Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: Higher, Further,…

Captain Marvel, Vol. 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More (2014)

by Kelly Sue DeConnick, David Lopez (Illustrator)

Other authors: Lee Loughridge (Illustrator)

Series: Captain Marvel Vol. 8 [2014-2015] (#1-6)

"Captain Marvel, Earth's Mightiest Hero with an attitude to match, is launching headfirst into an all-new adventure! As Carol Danvers comes to a crossroads with a new life and new romance, she makes a dramatic decision that will alter the course of her life-- and the entire Marvel Universe. But as Carol takes on a mission to return an alien girl to her homeworld, she lands in the middle of an uprising against the Galactic Alliance and the Spartax! Investigating the forced resettlement of Rocket Girl's people, Carol discovers she has a history with the man behind the plot. But when the bad guy tries to blackmail [her] and turn the Avengers against her, it's payback time!"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

I grabbed this as a free read via Prime Reads through my Kindle app. I haven't seen the Captain Marvel movie yet and all I know about her character is from her small role in Ms. Marvel.

This graphic novel has great inks and art, and good insight to Captain Marvel. Much of the issue is a crossover with the Guardians of the Galaxy, which was a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed Rocket's reaction to Captain Marvel's cat, Chewie. What did throw me off in a big way, though, was the order of events. I wish it had just gone in chronological order. ( )
  ladycato | Apr 28, 2019 |
Boring

Less action excess conversation. This was first captain marvel comic i read and if it's supposed to be like this, it's not for me. ( )
  Nakul.Phulambrikar | Dec 31, 2018 |
Three and a half stars. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
This was so much fun. I adored Carol's snark and her anger and her dedication to helping the people who needed her help. I also really enjoyed Tic, Jackie, Gil, and Bee; their addition gave such a Firefly feel to this book.

This was my first time reading about Carol Danvers in a very long time. It won't be my last. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
This installment of DeConnick's Captain Marvel is fun. Sometimes on the side of frivolous fun, but since when is that a bad thing? Highlights include Rocket of the Guardians of the Galaxy mistaking Carol's cat for a "flerken" and declaring war on it, Jackie -- warrior goddess with prehensile hair, and an exchange where Carol asks Iron Man, "You okay if we multitask?" and he responds with "Are you kidding? That's like asking if you like Star Wars and punching things."

Attempts at serious social critique miss the mark a bit. There's a moment when Carol meets the leader of the settlers, waltzing in like every colonialist white savior who's ever thought they could save a people from themselves without any deep understanding of that people's situation or motivations. Carol has her ass gently handed to her in a way that's fairly satisfying, but then that moment is eroded, when, not many pages later, she does figure out the central problem that ails them. But what do you expect? This is still a superhero comic. At least at that point, Carol is working more with the settlers than as their savior.

Some very Firefly-ish moment, which of course makes me happy. Could always use more Spider-Woman, but hey, at least they worked in a few references. Good, girl-power superhero fun. ( )
  greeniezona | Dec 6, 2017 |

Kelly Sue DeConnickprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lopez, DavidIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Loughridge, LeeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,117,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible