Why Not Me?

by Mindy Kaling

From the author of the beloved New York Times bestselling book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? and the creator and star of The Mindy Project comes a collection of essays that are as hilarious and insightful as they are deeply personal. In Why Not Me?, Kaling shares her ongoing journey to find contentment and excitement in her adult life, whether it's falling in love at work, seeking new friendships in lonely places, attempting to be the first person in history to lose weight without any behavior modification whatsoever, or most important, believing that you have a place in Hollywood when you're constantly reminded that no one looks like you. In "How to Look Spectacular: A Starlet's Confessions," Kaling gives her tongue-in-cheek secrets for surefire on-camera beauty, ("Your natural hair color may be appropriate for your skin tone, but this isn't the land of appropriate-this is Hollywood, baby. Out here, a dark-skinned woman's traditional hair color is honey blonde.") "Player" tells the story of Kaling being seduced and dumped by a female friend in L.A. ("I had been replaced by a younger model. And now they had matching bangs.") In "Unlikely Leading Lady," she muses on America's fixation with the weight of actresses, ("Most women we see onscreen are either so thin that they're walking clavicles or so huge that their only scenes involve them breaking furniture.") And in "Soup Snakes," Kaling spills some secrets on her relationship with her ex-boyfriend and close friend, B.J. Novak ("I will freely admit: my relationship with B.J. Novak is weird as hell.") Mindy turns the anxieties, the glamour, and the celebrations of her second coming-of-age into a laugh-out-loud funny collection of essays that anyone who's ever been at a turning point in their life or career can relate to. And those who've never been at a turning point can skip to the parts where she talks about meeting Bradley Cooper.… (more)

5 Stars because I took away the best quote to help with self-confidence. ( )
  Krissxten | Oct 1, 2020 |
I love Mindy Kaling. Seriously, if I ever met her I would probably cry like a 15 year old at a boy band concert. ( )
  SSBranham | Sep 17, 2020 |
I love reading Mindy's stories because she has such a unique voice. Her work ethic and talent always make for good and sometimes motivational stories. ( )
  mackinsquash | Aug 15, 2020 |
I love listening to Mindy Kaling's audiobooks, because her voice is the best. This was cute and funny, but not quite as much to my taste as her last book. BUT. There was a joke about possums that had me laughing out loud. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
I just had a mini spree of reading memoirs by funny women (Schumer & Fey) and this was my favorite. Kaling was by far the best writer and used the least fluff. Though, I'm curious, all three books included short chapters that were just lists. Is this a requirement of funny lady memoirs? Kaling does deviate from the format though (unlike Schumer and Fey) even including one chapter comprised of emails sent back and forth from a fictionalized version of herself that teaches Latin at a prep academy in New York. I really appreciated the variety of storytelling in this book. She still gave some great advice and let the reader learn a lot about her. ( )
  luzdelsol | Jul 31, 2020 |
For my mother.
In seventh grade I started at a new school.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,426,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible