Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

Bone Gap (2015)

by Laura Ruby

A slow burn of a young adult mystery with strong hints of magical realism that feels like riding a carousel at a very creepy abandoned carnival of ghosts.

This book took me pleasantly by surprise - it started slow and quiet, but built itself up to stealthily into a burning climax. Wonderful usage of magical realism, fantastic twist, down-to-earth genuine romantic relationships between teens which is a rarity in YA lit, and a powerful message about love, and sight. ( )
  wildrequiem | Feb 22, 2017 |
2.75 stars

I had some difficulty figuring out what was going on with this book. I like the characters, but I'm not sure if the story was suppose to be completely realistic or what really happened at the end. When his issue with recognition was revealed it was really interesting to me, and really a lot of it was interesting to me. I was left feeling confused after reading it though. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This novel of magical realism centers around a mysterious disappearance in a small town with unexplained gaps--gaps of memory and gaps between worlds. Finn doesn't fit in and can't figure out why; he witnessed the abduction of Roza, his brother's girlfriend, but can't describe the assailant; he's drawn to the beekeeper's daughter who is burdened by the town's prejudices; and he must travel between the gaps to save Roza. ( )
  sylliu | Jan 10, 2017 |
This was an amazing read. The story kept jumping between reality and magic reality. Characters are believable. I dove into this novel, and just tore through it. I will read it again. The poetry of character's thoughts, feelings and perceptions was unexpected and delightful. Everything moved the story forward. So much magic, so much believable magic. This was a santathing surprise and I'm just thrilled with it!! ( )
  jaelquinn | Jan 8, 2017 |
Bone Gap is like any town in many ways. It has its secrets, its bullies, its outcasts everyone looks at sideways. Finn is one of the outcasts, the one the bullies of the Rude family call names and beat up on a regular basis. They have two new reasons to come after him; they think he had something to do with Roza's disappearance, and they think he is taking advantage of the beekeeper's daughter. Roza appeared out of nowhere in Finn and Sean's barn, spoke little English, and stole their hearts. Then, Finn saw her kidnapped one night, and no one has seen or heard from her since. She was whisked away by a man she told Finn was her husband, who keeps coming for her no matter where she runs and keeps asking, "Do you love me yet?" As Finn searches for Roza and tries to make sense of his life after knowing her, he meets Petey, who is also an outcast of the town. Finn and Petey's relationship is just they each need, but the town tries to tear them apart. And when Finn finally realizes how he can save Roza, it turns out to be Roza who ultimately saves him. A good dose of magical realism and the backdrop of small town USA draws you in to the story. Though the story jumps around a bit and I sometimes got mixed up about where in time the story was, I liked the element of magical realism. I am sure there is some symbolism in the bee imagery throughout the book, but I don't know what it is. Pretty good story, though. ( )
  litgirl29 | Dec 31, 2016 |

Bone Gap is the story of Roza, a beautiful girl who is taken from a quiet midwestern town and imprisoned by a mysterious man, and Finn, the only witness, who cannot forgive himself for being unable to identify her kidnapper. As we follow them through their melancholy pasts, their terrifying presents, their uncertain futures, acclaimed author Laura Ruby weaves a heartbreaking tale of love and loss, magic and mystery, regret and forgiveness—a story about how the face the world sees is never the sum of who we are.
Jacket Copy

97 wanted2 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,645,089 books! | Top bar: Always visible