Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

Bone Gap (2015)

by Laura Ruby

After finishing this YA "fantasy" book up a couple of days ago, I'm still not quite decided on where I stand. And maybe where I stand is "This would be great for semi-mature YAs - they'd totally connect with the storyline and characters!" Was it great for me, personally? It was just okay. It felt more like a realistic fiction novel than fantasy and in that regard I was disappointed. But did I keep reading? Yeah, I did, and not because I had to. So there's that. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Feb 21, 2019 |
This book received many honors, including the 2015 Michael Printz award, a National Book Award Finalist, and one of the top ten best fiction for Young Adults Top Ten.

Few can write magic realism and make it work as well as Alice Hoffman or Sarah Addison Allen, yet Laura Ruby was successful in making this work in Bone Gap.

While at times the plot seemed somewhat convoluted, I stayed with the book, and I'm glad I did. Bone Gap is a small town, one in which everyone knows each other. And, as usual, small towns have their noisy neighbors, their near-do-wells, and a smattering to those who try to rise above the fray and all that is stifling about small-town life.

The book begins with the disappearance of Rosa who left the town as mysteriously as she entered. Finn saw the abduction, but cannot recall the details. Finn is known by many names throughout the town, most of them dealt with his inability to stay on track.

We follow the story of Finn who hears the corn talk to him in his rural setting, who allows the nasty Rude brothers to pick on him and beat him up, and we also know that Finn has a gift of understanding people. He knows his brother loves Rosa, but he is to afraid to try to find herr.

As Finn finds a love of his own and in this strength learns his abilities to face what seems impossible to rescue his brother's love. Only Finn can rescue Rosa, and it is a very difficult task. As the magic both prevents and aids him.

Three and 1/2 stars! ( )
  Whisper1 | Dec 13, 2018 |
I didn't much care for the magical realism. Although the magical parts were integral to the plot, they didn't feel well integrated into the world of Bone Gap. I also felt that Finn's difficulties with facial recognition were dealt with in enough depth. It was an interesting twist and I wanted more, such as a section from Sean's perspective when he found out about it.

Dan Bittner did a very good job narrating, especially in Roza's voice. ( )
  leslie.98 | Oct 3, 2018 |
This was so out of the box and weird. The magic and message were all kinds of inspired. Discovering what's up with Finn was really interesting. He had such a good heart and felt so bad for him that no one believed him about Roza. Petey was such a great partner in crime for him. She's brash but vulnerable. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
RGG: So beautiful, so heartfelt. The magic is how Laura Ruby crafts such an entrancing story out of a plot that could be summarized in a hundred words. All the praise is well-deserved. Reading Interest: YA.
  rgruberhighschool | May 18, 2018 |

Bone Gap is the story of Roza, a beautiful girl who is taken from a quiet midwestern town and imprisoned by a mysterious man, and Finn, the only witness, who cannot forgive himself for being unable to identify her kidnapper. As we follow them through their melancholy pasts, their terrifying presents, their uncertain futures, acclaimed author Laura Ruby weaves a heartbreaking tale of love and loss, magic and mystery, regret and forgiveness—a story about how the face the world sees is never the sum of who we are.
Jacket Copy

Eighteen-year-old Finn, an outsider in his quiet Midwestern town, is the only witness to the abduction of town favorite Roza, but his inability to distinguish between faces makes it difficult for him to help with the investigation, and subjects him to even more ridicule and bullying.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,205,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible