Bone Gap by Laura Ruby

Bone Gap (2015)

by Laura Ruby

I don't usually do audiobooks, but I have been taking a lot of long (5-10 mile) walks as part of my backpacking training and I am getting bored!!

I picked some young adult titles because I am not a great listener, so YA works well for me. I did not realize this was magical realism until I got to the crux of the story and--ta-da! magical realism! difficult situation solved! So frustrating. The story was good up to that point, and I was so curious how it would be worked out.

The narrator was fine, other than his female voices. Particularly his voice of Roza, a native Polish speaker. It was not good--it sounded like a 15-year-old making fun of someone.

But, I will continue to try some more audiobooks. ( )
  Dreesie | Jun 30, 2017 |
“Ruby’s novel deserves to be read and reread. It is powerful, beautiful, extraordinary.” - School Library Journal ( )
  kvessels | Jun 25, 2017 |
Their mother abandoned Finn and his big brother Sean when she fell in love and moved out of state after their father’s death. In the two years since she left, Sean gave up his dream of becoming a doctor so he could take care of Finn. Everyone in the town of Bone Gap loves Sean and his quiet ways of doctoring as an EMT, while Finn suffers name-calling and abuse because of being unable to look anyone in the eye. He’s different, and the town doesn’t like someone to be different.

Beautiful Roza left Poland to study in America, never expecting to find herself kidnapped by an insane stranger on her final day of classes. She managed to escape and find a good home with Sean and Finn, but it didn’t take long for the stranger to find her. The only witness to her abduction was Finn but, because he didn’t get a clear view of her abductor, no one believes him. Finn and Sean feel abandoned once again.

Through alternating chapters from Roza, Finn, Sean and others in the small town of Bone Gap, Ruby weaves a tale of love, intrigue, fantasy and magic. Her meandering tale reveals that sometimes what we see with our eyes isn’t really there, while what we don’t see with our eyes is really there – or something like that.

Though this book won the 2016 YALSA Printz Award, I couldn’t get into it. I was confused half the time, as I prefer books to be more realistic than magical. I will leave it up to you to decide if you want to read it or not.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2017/06/19/bone-gap-laura-ruby/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Jun 19, 2017 |
I'm not much of a fan of magical realism, and (in the end) I am unsure how much was actually magical. So many of the seemingly strange things like the horse and the ghost ended up being explained. So it was mainly realistic magical realism? I'm unsure of what the term is!

Anyway, the thing I loved about this book was its main character. Finn is a young boy who everyone in Bone Gap calls weird or strange--my kind of person already! He witnessed Roza's departure but can't offer any details about who she left with (was she kidnapped? Did she leave willingly? He can't even tell that much!). So everyone (because everyone in town loved Roza) is angry with him, including his brother who really liked her. Almost from the beginning, I guessed what the problem was. But even so, I still enjoyed the story and loved the characters. It was too weird for me at times (and if you're going to explain some things, explain ALL the things! Was it the honey? I'm blaming the honey).

However, the characters were great. I loved Finn and his brother Sean (awww, he was so sweet taking care of everyone) and Petey (the girl Finn likes whose family is all about bees) and Roza (who was a realistic mix of strong woman and woman needing rescuing). I even liked the "magical" horse that shows up that Finn and Petey take on adventures in the middle of the night.

Pop sugar Reading Challenge: An audiobook ( )
  katekintail | Jun 9, 2017 |
This subtly speculative novel about two brothers facing loss and a young woman fighting for her freedom from a kidnapper is absolutely gorgeous. I love the way each of the characters are portrayed and the magical realism of this small town, where everybody knows everything about everyone, even if they always get the story wrong. ( )
  andreablythe | Jun 2, 2017 |

Bone Gap is the story of Roza, a beautiful girl who is taken from a quiet midwestern town and imprisoned by a mysterious man, and Finn, the only witness, who cannot forgive himself for being unable to identify her kidnapper. As we follow them through their melancholy pasts, their terrifying presents, their uncertain futures, acclaimed author Laura Ruby weaves a heartbreaking tale of love and loss, magic and mystery, regret and forgiveness—a story about how the face the world sees is never the sum of who we are.
Jacket Copy

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,095,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible