Truthwitch: A Witchlands Novel (The…

Truthwitch: A Witchlands Novel (The Witchlands) (original 2016; edition 2017)

by Susan Dennard (Author)

Series: Witchlands (1)

On a continent ruled by three empires, some are born with a "witchery," a magical skill that sets them apart from others. In the Witchlands, there are almost as many types of magic as there are ways to get in trouble--as two desperate young women know all too well. Safiya is a Truthwitch, able to discern truth from lie. It's a powerful magic that many would kill to have on their side, especially amongst the nobility to which Safi was born. So Safi must keep her gift hidden, lest she be used as a pawn in the struggle between empires. Iseult, a Threadwitch, can see the invisible ties that bind and entangle the lives around her--but she cannot see the bonds that touch her own heart. Her unlikely friendship with Safi has taken her from life as an outcast into one of of reckless adventure, where she is a cool, wary balance to Safi's hotheaded impulsiveness. Safi and Iseult just want to be free to live their own lives, but war is coming to the Witchlands. With the help of the cunning Prince Merik (a Windwitch and ship's captain) and the hindrance of a Bloodwitch bent on revenge, the friends must fight emperors, princes, and mercenaries alike, who will stop at nothing to get their hands on a Truthwitch.… (more)
Member:UndercoverBooksVI
Title:Truthwitch: A Witchlands Novel (The Witchlands)
Authors:Susan Dennard (Author)
Info:Tor Teen (2017), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

Work Information

Truthwitch by Susan Dennard (2016)

Eh, ok, I had a hard time with this book.

On the one-hand, I really like the world; on the other hand, the characters are just past flat and there are some plot holes which were bothersome -- and I'm not talking about continuity, I'm talking about transitions that were so abrupt I went back to the last page to see if I had skipped a paragraph or a page or something.

I also was frustrated because I really like the world (really, really like the world), but it isn't explained enough -- like I had to read a synopsis outside the book to find out that everyone in the Witchlands has a witchery, and it's not just some people. And if that's the case, then how can Safi get away without a witchmark? Wouldn't you have to have one? Ok, maybe the synopsis was wrong? But also, what are the Hell-bards, exactly? And there's references to "elemental" witches being enslaved in Dalmotti... but not if they are from a visiting kingdom? What defines "elemental"? What kind of slavery? Is it imprisonment? Or are they forced to join the hell-bards?

I get that there is a lot, a LOT, left to be explained in later books, but I feel like fleshing out the world shouldn't be something that you hide for later. Also, I'm coming to despise the Teen Series Trope of To Be Continued... I mean, really. I do understand that there's a larger, overarching plot that needs more pages to tell, but one of the things I value in the great series that I read is that the authors don't enslave the book to the overarching plot -- you don't have to leave every thread hanging for me to want to come back and read your books -- you can, in fact tell a complete story, with smaller hints that there's a background arc going on and leave your readers satisfied. I guess my preference is for more episodic work? I love how Patricia Briggs or Ilona Andrews or even Patrick Rothfuss does that, for instance. The characters and the world are so well realized that you can come back to them at any point, and while there are key plots that happened in previous books, they hit the highlights in episode 2 or 3 or 14 so you don't have to go back and start all over again to figure out what's going on.

Sorry, Susan Dennard. I didn't mean to use my book review as a platform to rail against the world. Not your fault, you're just doing what Sarah J. Maas encourages you to do. I liked her first books, too. But I tend to stop reading her series because they sacrifice storytelling for TBC plots. I hope it's something YA lit can grow out of, and I'll read the next in the series in hopes that the itch of plots dropped will be rewarded. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Listened to the audiobook, really interesting world and the magic users are different than the usual mages that I've been coming across recently. The characters were all interesting and I'm looking forward to continuing this series when the next one comes out.

The audiobook did have some odd narration, all the characters spoke in accents but the narrator was normal/midwest accent. It took awhile for me to get used to this and I don't think it was entirely necessary to switch around during the story. ( )
  fellanta13 | Feb 14, 2022 |
Enjoyed the characters and magic system, still not sure about the politics and religion parts Im gonna keep reading. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
I've had this on my list to read for a while but it has been checked out at my library and I was unsure if I wanted to buy it because lately I can't seem to really like any of the fantasy YA books I have read. I'm glad I finally got to check this out. I won't lie, I really liked this book. From the beginning I really liked Safi and Iseult friendship, they work really well off of each other. Safi being the one that takes risks and Iseult being the straight shooter who helps keep Safi focused. Of course when Safiya leads them into a bit of trouble that causes a chain reaction of things do things get interesting. The book starts right into the thick of things, leading to a blood witch named Aeduan to stay on their tail. Considering that Safi is a rare Truthwitch this turns out to be very dangerous.

Dennard does an amazing job at keeping you interested in the different character point of views, I can honestly say that I did not dislike any of the main characters and there was not one point of view that I loved more than the others. The tension between Safi and Prince Merik was great and I really found myself rooting for them to get together. I liked Merik so much that I think I'll be adding him to my list of top book boyfriends.

The reason I didn't give it a 5 out of 5 was because it was a bit on the predictable side for me, and I kept wanted to reach in and knock some sense into Aeduan to stop acting like a jerk since he showed time and time again he had redeemable qualities and his interactions with Iseult was so interesting.

I will be getting Windwitch as soon as it's available in the library. ( )
  Lattes_Literature | Dec 23, 2021 |
The Twenty Year Truce of the Witchlands is coming to an end and the different empires and countries are jostling for position.

Safi and Iseult are Threadsisters make a living in Veñaza City. Iseult, a Nomatsi whom people are suspicious of, is a Threadwitch which means she can see peoples emotions by the colours of their threads but Safi, a Cartorran domna, is a Truthwitch which means she can tell when people are lying. This makes her magic a valuable commodity and rulers would do anything to control it so she has to keep her magic hidden, especially as there are no other known Truthwitches.

As the story opens, the girls tangle with a Bloodwitch (also the only known of his type - but whose magic is immediately identifiable) who is then able to track them by their scent. In trying to get away from him they have to leave their lives in Veñaza behind but then they get embroiled in politics thanks to Safi's rank. Some people in power are trying to extend the Truce but others are eager to see war recommence.

I'm still a bit confused about the magic in this world and whether everyone has some power or only some people and I also got a bit lost with the concept of Thread families and Heart threads although I think I got the hang of it in the end. I'm usually a proponent of 'show, don't tell' but I could have done with a bit more explanation. I am intrigued by the history of the war and the origin wells which were hinted at; hopefully they will be explained further in the following books.

I found the story enjoyable but a bit bumpy, especially at the beginning when I was a bit lost trying to sort out magic and threads, but it mostly smoothed out towards the end. I will keep reading because I'm curious about the backstory. I'm not sure, though, why Safi's magic should make her a target for the power-hungry especially when a lot of the other magical talents are more destructive or helpful.

3.5*** ( )
  humouress | Jul 23, 2021 |

Susan Dennardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my Threadsister, Sarah
Everything had gone horribly wrong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,086,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible