The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage…

The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage Trilogy) (edition 2015)

by Brian McClellan (Author)

Member:BubiBalboa
Title:The Autumn Republic (The Powder Mage Trilogy)
Authors:Brian McClellan (Author)
Info:Orbit (2015), Edition: First Edition first Printing, 592 pages

The Autumn Republic by Brian McClellan

English (11)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (13)
The conclusion to The Powder Mage Trilogy reveals the fate of Tamas' revolution and his country Adro. After a failed strategy left Tamas and his men stranded in enemy territory, the Field Marshal returns to find the capital held by a new player, and the Kez pushing further into Adro.

This one felt a little rushed in some parts, but was still an enjoyable read. Taniel and Tamas both get opportunities to shine, while Adamat is much less prominent though he is still key to finding out what is really going on. Nila gets more time in the spotlight, although I would have like more answers regarding her power. Everything Tamas and his council have been planning is coming to fruition but there remains another threat to the new republic. ( )
  Cerelin | Jul 12, 2018 |
OK, I only have myself to blame after the first two. I can't explain it. ( )
  quondame | Dec 23, 2017 |
3.5 stars.

It took me a while to figure out how to review The Autumn Republic, because when I finished it, I was dissatisfied and I wasn't sure why. I enjoyed it, it was fun, fast, exciting and the battle scenes glorious, but it it wasn't satisfying.

At first I thought it might have been because I'd built the final instalment of The Powder Mage trilogy up so high with anticipation it couldn't compare to my expectations. Then, it hit me. The pacing. It was really rushed. I don't mean it was a fast paced book, I mean it was rushed to the point of it being detrimental to the overall story line.

I felt like the author wrote all of the big battle and confrontation scenes first and then couldn't quite figure out how to connect them properly or how to resolve the issues that occur because of them. I can't actually say over what time period this instalment spans, because things just occurred without a good sense of timing and attachment. There is a need, people just seem to show up, fighting ensues, fight won, there's a meeting (in which everybody notices how everybody's aged over and over and romantic scabs picked over and over), there's a need, ad infinitum. However, due to the connective tissue being so weak, it could've all occurred in 2 hours and the reader would be none the wiser.

I guess I like to care about what the outcome is in a novel, and I didn't with The Autumn Republic. I wasn't given time to and there was no real depth, just surface material. A major character falls and I just kind of shrugged it off because it just pushed past it without a pause to grieve. It was probably the weakest of the three novels, but it did wrap everything up without any major lose threads. I just wish I cared in the end.

Physical Copy Worthy?

No, not unless the next few months are lacking in good, solid novels, that I have some sort of emotional attachment to! ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: The war has come to a head, and no one knows how it’s going to end in this thrilling conclusion to the Powder Mage trilogy.

Opening Sentence: Field Marshal Tamas stood in the ruins of the Kresim Cathedral in Adopest.

The Review:

The war with the Kez has finally reached its peak. Tamas is moving as fast as he can to reach his troops in time. Taniel is missing, last seen hanging from a Kez pole. Adamat, Bo, and Nila find themselves on the front in their efforts to find Taniel. Basically, everything’s gone to hell, and no one knows how it’s going to end. Will anyone be left standing when it’s all over?

I was pleasantly surprised by the first two books in this trilogy, so I was greatly looking forward to reading this last installment. I am happy to say my excitement was not unwarranted. This final book started off quickly and never let up the pace. I found myself reading as quickly as I could because I kept wanting to get to the next page, the next scene as quickly as possible so I could find out what was going to happen. Before I knew it, the book was over, and I was completely satisfied with how everything turned out, but sad that I had to leave this incredible world that McClellan has created.

All of the main characters have their time to shine in this last book, most notably (in my opinion) Tamas and Nila. If you had told me back in book one that Nila would turn out to be one of my favorite characters, I would have called you a liar. But here, I found myself looking forward to her scenes most of all. She has come quite a long way from being just a laundress for a noble family. As for Tamas, it’s easy to see the toll his actions have taken on him. At this point, he is just ready for this war to be done so he can finally rest. As tired as he is, both mentally and physically, he still feels a great responsibility towards his people and will not allow himself to take it easy until peace is gained. He is definitely one of the most honorable characters I’ve come across in recent memory.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this book. I had one nitpicky thing bugging me as I read, but by the end of the book, that small issue had been taken care of, so I have nothing to complain about. The book was honestly a joy from start to finish, full of action, drama, and great characters. As I read, I could easily picture everything in my mind, almost as if it were a movie. Fans of the first two installments of the trilogy should be greatly satisfied with how everything turns out. I for one am looking forward to seeing what else McClellan has to offer in the future. I will definitely be putting his books on my must-read list!

Notable Scene:

Nila gave a scream – half startled, half victorious. “I’ve got it!”

“What? You haven’t got it,” Adamat said. “Do you even know what you did?”

Nila held her off-hand away from herself gingerly, pointing toward an open patch of ground between two nearby tents. She brushed her thumb across her forefinger, then touched it gently to her pinkie.

Flame erupted from her dominant hand – not a thin tendril this time, but a gout that seemed to spring up from the ground, setting fire to the grass and rising five or six feet in the air, traveling from her to the spot she’d pointed at as if following a line of lamp oil.

“All right,” Adamat said. “I’m impressed.” “Terrified” seemed a better word for it, but Adamat didn’t think the girl needed to hear that. She didn’t know what she was doing. Who knew what an untrained Privileged was capable of? She might be able to set fire to the entire enemy army, but could she keep from doing the same to her allies?

He wondered if he should head toward the Adran lines. If Tamas was back, Adamat would need to report everything that had happened over the last several months. But during a battle wouldn’t be the best time.

At least it might get him farther away from the approaching Kez auxiliaries.

“Nila, we should…” he trailed off. The girl was gone. He cast about, then spotted her sprinting, skirts in hand, toward the Wings’ rearguard and the Kez auxiliaries beyond them.

What was she doing? She couldn’t possibly think she could help. She was just rushing off to get herself killed.

Adamat looked toward the Adran lines. He could make it. The Adran command tent was less than two miles away. He could get there and report to Tamas, and maybe manage to send some help this direction.

The girl wasn’t his responsibility. She was Bo’s, and Adamat owed Bo nothing.

With a curse, Adamat set off after Nila.

FTC Advisory: Orbit provided me with a copy of The Autumn Republic. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Apr 15, 2016 |
Skemmtilegur lokakafli á mögnuðum ævintýra-þríleik. Must READ fyrir alla unnendur fantsy bóka. ( )
  Erlingur | Oct 28, 2015 |
For Mum, For pushing me in the right direction and making all of this possible.
Field Marshall Tamas stood in the ruins of the Kresim Cathedral in Adopest

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316219126, Hardcover)

The capital has fallen...

An army divided...

All hope rests with one...

THE AUTUMN REPUBLIC is the epic conclusion that began with Promise of Blood and The Crimson Campaign.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:13 -0400)

"IN A RICH, DISTINCTIVE WORLD THAT MIXES MAGIC WITH TECHNOLOGY, WHO COULD STAND AGAINST MAGES THAT CONTROL GUNPOWDER AND BULLETS? The capital has fallen... Field Marshal Tamas returns to his beloved country to find that for the first time in history, the capital city of Adro lies in the hands of a foreign invader. His son is missing, his allies are indistinguishable from his foes, and reinforcements are several weeks away. An army divided... With the Kez still bearing down upon them and without clear leadership, the Adran army has turned against itself. Inspector Adamat is drawn into the very heart of this new mutiny with promises of finding his kidnapped son. All hope rests with one... And Taniel Two-shot, hunted by men he once thought his friends, must safeguard the only chance Adro has of getting through this war without being destroyed... THE AUTUMN REPUBLIC is the epic conclusion that began with Promise of Blood and The Crimson Campaign"--… (more)

Brian McClellan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible