Merchant of Venice, (The New Penguin) by…

Merchant of Venice, (The New Penguin) (original 1596; edition 1981)

by William Shakespeare (Author)

Bassanio, with the help of merchant, Antonio, borrows money from Shylock, a wealthy jew, in order to woo Portia. Portia disguises herself as a lawyer and foils Shylock's ability to exact retribution from Bassanio for failing to repay the debt.
Member:GeraldineTass
Title:Merchant of Venice, (The New Penguin)
Authors:William Shakespeare (Author)
Info:Penguin Classics (1981), 224 pages

Work Information

The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare (1596)

English (91)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (99)
Hmmmm I'm just now seeing a theme of faithfulness and faithlessness in these Shakespeare plays. I feel a paper coming on.... ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
And so ends my Year of Shakespeare. My roommates and I have, from April 2020 - April 2021, read aloud all of Shakespeare's plays (including Edward III, Pericles, and Two Noble Kinsmen, and excluding the contested Double Falsehood and Sir Thomas More, though those may be yet to come). What a ride. Honestly, I would recommend it to anyone for whom the idea holds some interest. There's a lot of underappreciated Shakespeare (though that seems like an oxymoron), some of which I'd read before but lots of which I hadn't. Stand-outs in the "unsung" crowd were Coriolanus, Two Noble Kinsmen, Troilus and Cressida, Henry IV Part 2, Antony and Cleopatra, and to a lesser extent Henry VI Part 3, King John, Edward III and Pericles.

But none of this has been about Merchant of Venice. So here goes-- mostly I don't quite know what to think about the play, but I'll take a stab at it. It seems to me that the main thrust of the play is that every person in it turns all of their personal relationships (with the possible exception of the relationship between Launcelot Gobbo and Old Gobbo) into monetary transactions-- not just employing each other, but buying each other's love, stealing from each other, praising beauty in terms of gold and jewels. Marriages especially are wealth contracts. Every character is turned into a merchant of affection. And then Shylock is the one among them who makes the natural extension of that paradigm and wants to turn a monetary transaction into one of flesh, literally, for which attempt he is completely undone and destroyed. Not that you SHOULD be able to cut a pound of flesh out of someone who owes you money. Just that Shylock's claim literalizes, and thereby exposes, the terrible and depressing way in which everybody is behaving. That's my interpretation, anyway. Oh and then Act 5 happens because Shakespeare remembered he was supposed to be writing a comedy.

In an ideal performance of Merchant of Venice, Shylock's "You have among you many a purchased slave" speech should be the center of the whole play. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
This abridged audio version of Shakespeare's famous play will be of use chiefly to those quite familiar with the original. Others will have to read the play along with listening to this recording, in order to tell the characters apart. Even that approach will have its limits, given how abridged this version is. Hence the low rating that I have awarded.

Note: LT listings have combined hundreds of different manifestations of Shakespeare's famous play, including movies, filmed plays, audio versions, abridged versions, summaries, and the like. While these clearly should be separated as different "works", it would probably be fruitless at this point to try to do so. And so, one-star reviews such as this one are combined with those that deservedly award five stars to the play itself. So it goes, as Mr. Vonnegut would note. ( )
1 vote rybie2 | May 19, 2021 |
Aunque tiene elementos claramente trasnochados como mujeres disfrazadas de hombres y ni sus maridos las distingen, tambien tiene elementos muy interesantes.
En particular hay varias historias contadas en paralelo. Una historia de odio, una de amistad, una de amor (o varias), otra de libertad, de relaciones fraternales.

Las grandes preguntas de la vida, en formato comedia sin aparentes ambiciones. Este Shakespeare tenia algo especial.

Por cierto, mucha gente se queja de sus parrafos anti-judios. Si, la historia de odio pone a un judio como el malo y lo caracteriza como envidioso y tacaño. Si esto hiere su sensibilidad, no lea este libro. ( )
  trusmis | Nov 28, 2020 |
Loved it!! I had so much fun acting this out!! ( )
  Absolution13 | Oct 6, 2020 |

Has the adaptation

Was inspired by

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

In sooth, I know not why I am so sad:
It wearies me; you say it wearies you;
But how I caught it, found it, or came by it,
What stuff 'tis made of, whereof it is born,
I am to learn;
And such a want-wit sadness makes of me,
That I have much ado to know myself.
The quality of mercy is not strain'd;
It droppeth, as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath: it is twice blessed;
It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes
When he is best, he is a little worse than a man; and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.
My meaning in saying he is a good man, is to have you understand me that he is sufficient.
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
It is a wise father that knows his own child.
This work is for the complete The Merchant of Venice only. Do not combine this work with abridgements, adaptations or simplifications (such as "Shakespeare Made Easy"), Cliffs Notes or similar study guides, or anything else that does not contain the full text. Do not include any video recordings. Additionally, do not combine this with other plays.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140714626, 0141013958

Yale University Press

An edition of this book was published by Yale University Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,998,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible