The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

The Rosie Effect (2014)

by Graeme Simsion

English (106)  Dutch (3)  German (1)  All languages (110)
A fun and quirky sequel to a wonderful first book. If you liked The Rosie Project, chances are you will like The Rosie Effect. My favorite aspect about these books is the protagonist, Don Tillman. His character shines and gives us readers a glimpse into a completely different mindset and way of approaching life. ( )
  CherieKephart | Jul 24, 2018 |
Not nearly as interesting as the Rosie Project since the protagonist has largely managed to control his OCD behavior, which was the source of most of the interest and humor; and since we are now used to his quirks.
1 vote TommyB | May 10, 2018 |
This is the sequel to The Rosie Project. Now Don and Rosie are married, living in New Year, and pregnant. Don has many unusual ways to learn about pregnancy and how he'll be as a father. Unfortunately he and Rosie are not communicating well with each other and havoc ensues.

I love this couple! Don is so literal about everything and Rosie does not want to hear it. She's studying and working on her thesis and does not want to be distracted. Don wants to make sure Rosie is not stressed so he keeps secrets which he has not done before. It blows up in Don's face and he almost loses all that is important to him.

There are the returning characters--Gene, Claudia, and their children. There are new characters--Sonia, Dave, George, the 3 B's, Lydia, and others--that Don has to learn to work with or around. I had to laugh as Don plows right through. I'm going to miss these characters. Don and Rosie were fun! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 28, 2018 |
Ugh. That is the only thing I can say about this book. I was looking forward to this for awhile after loving The Rosie Project but I'm sad that I wasted my time reading this.

As Don tries to wrap his head around the idea of becoming a father I found that Rosie became so uncharacteristically unlike herself and it was such a let down. She knew who she was marrying and she knew what would happen once a baby was introduced. The plot felt weak and relied on the idea that Rosie wanted a perfect father for her child just because her mother died when she was 10. That makes NO SENSE! Why would she be worried about the father because of the mother?!?!?

This book pissed me off to no end and almost made me cry on several occasions mainly because I felt so bad for Don. The person he thought understood him ended up being the person who didn't understand him in the least.

The ending also felt incredibly rushed and made NO SENSE!!! It was like all of a sudden everything was solved and was perfectly fine in the last Chapter!!! I was so angry. Also, the Rosie character that I fell in love with all of a sudden was a different person.

This is exactly why I don't read these types of books. I hate that there are a million and one plot problems for the main character and then by the last chapter everything is magically happy. The Rosie Project felt so different from that and included characters I fell in love with. Sadly, I wish I didn't continue their adventures. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
I just finished reading The Rosie Effect which is the sequel to The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. I gave the first one 4 stars and this one will be given the same rating. Don is still as quirky in the second book as he was in the first. One of his quirks is to guess both the age and the person's BMI! Now, seriously, I would hate for anyone to be guessing my BMI! LOL There are some laugh out loud parts mainly because of Don's way of looking at life. ( )
  travelgal | Nov 26, 2017 |
To Anne
Orange juice was not scheduled for Fridays.

Product Description

Don Tillman and Rosie Jarman are back. If you were swept away by Graeme Simsion’s international smash hit The Rosie Project, you will love The Rosie Effect.

The Wife Project is complete, and Don and Rosie are happily married and living in New York. But they’re about to face a new challenge.

Rosie is pregnant.

Don sets about learning the protocols of becoming a father, but his unusual research style gets him into trouble with the law. Fortunately his best friend Gene is on hand to offer advice: he’s left Claudia and moved in with Don and Rosie.

As Don tries to schedule time for pregnancy research, getting Gene and Claudia back together, servicing the industrial refrigeration unit that occupies half his apartment, helping Dave the Baseball Fan save his business and staying on the right side of Lydia the social worker, he almost misses the biggest problem of all: he might lose Rosie when she needs him most.

Get ready to fall in love all over again.

"The Wife Project is complete, and Don and Rosie are happily married and living in New York. But they're about to face a new challenge because--surprise--Rosie is pregnant. Don sets about learning the protocols of becoming a father, but his unusual research style gets him into trouble with the law. Fortunately his best friend Gene is on hand to offer advice: he's left Claudia and moved in with Don and Rosie. As Don tries to schedule time for pregnancy research, getting Gene and Claudia to reconcile, servicing the industrial refrigeration unit that occupies half his apartment, helping Dave the Baseball Fan save his business, and staying on the right side of Lydia the social worker, he almost misses the biggest problem of all: he might lose Rosie when she needs him the most"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,800,664 books! | Top bar: Always visible