Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Card Games Around the World (1981)

by Sid Sackson

Presents a brief history of playing cards and easy-to-follow instructions for card games all over the world.

This little compendium of card game rules is the work of pioneering game designer Sid Sackson. Most of these will not be found in the usual editions of Hoyle's. They are arranged regionally: Asia, Europe, more Europe, Britain, Latin America, and the US, with a final section of four original games, two of them by Sackson. The rules are all clear and playable, and there are some diagrams where needed, but most games pass without them.

Of the traditional games, I have played nearly all of the US games, and very few of the others. Ones I haven't played that interest me most are the French games Piquet and Ecarte, the peg-scored game of Cribbage (now enjoying something of a renaissance), and Casino, which I had heard mentioned, but never imagined to play in the way that the rules run.

Among the new games, I am not much tempted by the Sackson designs, which are both themed simulations of a sort: Card Football and Card Stock Market. But Ronald Corn's Buried Treasure is intriguing, and Claude Soucie's microgame Divide and Conquer looks even better.
2 vote paradoxosalpha | Aug 6, 2016 |
"With compendium books, two things matter— how many games, and how well they are presented. Sackson fares better in the second category, but in my opinion the first one is the more important."

"Card Games Around the World is a worthwhile addition to any gamer's library, offering many choices unavailable in a typical book of game rules. It's not a replacement for those books though and it does not have nearly the amount of historical data I would have preferred…"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,310,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible