Die Glasglocke (suhrkamp taschenbuch) by…

Die Glasglocke (suhrkamp taschenbuch) (original 1963; edition 2005)

by Sylvia Plath (Autor)

Beautiful and gifted, with a bright future, Esther Greenwood descends into depression, suicidal thoughts, and madness while interning at a New York City magazine.
Member:JacquesRebell
Title:Die Glasglocke (suhrkamp taschenbuch)
Authors:Sylvia Plath (Autor)
Info:Suhrkamp Verlag (2005), Edition: 10, 262 pages

Work Information

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (1963)

To Read (14)
Teens (5)

English (414)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  Swedish (3)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (2)  All (1)  Bulgarian (1)  All languages (432)
Overrated, very average writing. If I'm going to fall in love with her writing, it's going to take a hell of a lot more than this. ( )
  et.carole | Jan 21, 2022 |
This was an interesting read. I didn't know about Sylvia Plath till I started the book and I most definitely didn't know about her suicide (which prompted a really dark and funny unintentional joke about ovens).
Esther's journey was heart-breaking. She was a really young woman and I could see parallels between her attitudes as she starts her descent into depression and a few of my friends' or even my own behavior and negative ideas. I wish I could have seen more about her treatment and how she started to feel better, but I guess that wasn't the intention of the book.
I'll be thinking about this one for a while... ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
I loved this book. Some parts were difficult to get through subject-matter wise, especially knowing Plath's life, but her poetic talent made the prose stunningly beautiful and many of her coming-of-age experiences and mental health struggles relatable. I will be returning to this one in the future. ( )
  hissingpotatoes | Dec 28, 2021 |
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed."

'The Bell Jar' is Sylvia Plath's only full-length prose work and was written in the early 1960's. It is an autobiographical novel that relates the descent into madness of Plath's alter-ego, Esther Greenwood. The novel was initially published under a pseudonym and only appeared under Plath's real name in 1966, three years after she had committed suicide.

The story covers a year in the life of Esther Greenwood. Initially she seems to have a rosy future in front of her, she is an 'A' student who is top in all her classes and she wins a competition for a month's all-expenses paid trip to New York to do some work for a prestigious fashion magazine. However, her time in the city heralds the start of her mental breakdown.

Back at home she drops out of college and lazes about the house, her mother worries that she is ill and takes her see to a psychiatrist. But when she is referred to a unit that specializes in shock therapy Esther's condition spirals even further downwards and she finally decides to that her only recourse is to commit suicide. Her attempt fails and she is sent to an asylum.

Esther slowly starts her road to recovery, but a friend at the hospital, Joan, isn't so lucky. Joan commits suicide but this acts as a catalyst for Esther to take control of her life albeit with the realisation that her illness could return and threaten it at any time.

The novel takes the reader inside the experience of a severe mental illness. When Esther considers suicide, she looks into the mirror and manages to see herself as a completely separate person, disconnected from the world and herself. Plath is very careful not to blame her illness on outside events.

However, Plath does attack the notion of the importance of chastity in women outside marriage, a health system that fails women and a society that expects women to simply settle down to marriage and children.

Esther is quiet, introverted and socially awkward but she is also a rebel. She is determined to free herself from societal expectations of what she should become, she disdains what she regards as the hypocrisy and double standards of a misogynistic society which sees a woman's virginity as the sole standard of her virtuous nature whilst at the same time encouraging and applauding sexual activity by men. She deliberately goes out looking for someone who will take her virginity to relieve herself of that burden. Esther is also disappointed by how the medical system like so many others is dominated by men who don't understand or recognise the pain felt by women. Her descent into madness is the direct result of callous and indifferent treatment that she receives from he initial psychiatrist, a man.

There is a powerful honesty to this novel and is a stunning portrayal of a particular period in Plath's life and the brave attempt to face her own demons. Thankfully some of the societal issues that this story attacks are not so prevalent today, even if they haven't gone completely, but all the same it still feels relevant and deserves to be on the 1001 list. ( )
1 vote PilgrimJess | Nov 8, 2021 |
First I will address my issues with the book. One, the racism. Although this is not unexpected from a writer from Sylvia Plath's time, many people do not address it when talking about the book. Maybe just a warning would have been nice. I'm also not the only reader with this criticism. Aside from the more problematic aspects of the book, I found the plot enjoyable and the text easy. I also read the book in three days. A special book to me but I also acknowledge it isn't the best or least problematic book of all time. ( )
  Jenna.Schetty | Nov 7, 2021 |
Esther Greenwood's account of her year in the bell jar is as clear and readable as it is witty and disturbing. It makes for a novel such as Dorothy Parker might have written if she had not belonged to a generation infected with the relentless frivolity of the college- humor magazine. The brittle humor of that early generation is reincarnated in "The Bell Jar," but raised to a more serious level because it is recognized as a resource of hysteria.

Plath, Sylviaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kaiser, ReinhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kurpershoek, RenéTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ravano, AnnaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Elizabeth and David
It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York.
[Foreword] You might think that classics like The Bell Jar are immediately recognized the moment they reach a publisher's office.
That's one of the reasons I never wanted to get married. The last thing I wanted was infinite security and to be the place an arrow shoots off from. I wanted change and excitement and to shoot off in all directions myself, like the colored arrows from a Fourth of July rocket. (p. 69)
The trouble was, I hated the idea of serving men in any way.
"We'll take it up where we left off, Esther," she had said, with her sweet, martyr's smile. "We'll act as if all of this were a bad dream" A bad dream. To the person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the world itself is the bad dream. A bad dream. I remembered everything. I remembered the cadavers and Doreen and the story of the fig tree and Marco's diamond and the sailor on the Common and Doctor Gordon's wall-eyed nurse and the broken thermometers and the Negro with his two kinds of beans and the twenty pounds I gained on insulin and the rock that bulged between sky and sea like a gray skull. Maybe forgetfulness, like a kind snow, should numb and cover them. But they were part of me. They were my landscape. (p. 181)
I took a deep breath, and listened to the old bray of my heart: I am, I am, I am.
I began to think that maybe it was true that when you were married and had children it was like being brainwashed, and afterward you went about numb as a slave in some private, totalitarian state. (p. 70)

Legacy Library: Sylvia Plath

Sylvia Plath has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Sylvia Plath's legacy profile.

See Sylvia Plath's author page.

5 2025

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,241,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible