Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your…

Finding Spiritual Whitespace: Awakening Your Soul to Rest

by Bonnie Gray

Move beyond Coping and Surviving to a Rejuvenating Place of Soul Rest How many of us find ourselves exhausted, running on empty with no time for rest, no time for ourselves, no time for God? Bonnie Gray knows exactly what that's like. On the brink of fulfilling a lifelong dream, Bonnie's plans suddenly went off script. Her life shattered into a debilitating journey through anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia. But as she struggled to make sense of it all, she made an important discovery: we all need spiritual whitespace. Spiritual whitespace makes room--room in one's heart for a deep relationship with God, room in one's life for rest, room in one's soul for rejuvenation. With soul-stirring vulnerability and heartbreaking honesty, Bonnie takes readers on a personal journey to feed their souls and uncover the deeper story of rest. Lyrical writing draws readers into Gray's intimate journey through overwhelming stress to find God in a broken story and celebrate the beauty of faith. Guided by biblical encouragement and thought-provoking prompts, Gray shows readers how to create space in the everyday for God, refreshment, and faith. She also offers practical steps and insights for making spiritual whitespace a reality, right in the midst of the stress-frayed stories in every season of life.… (more)

A special thank you to Revell and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

FINDING SPIRITUAL WHITESPACE by Bonnie Gray is a “Must Read” for women (and men), of all ages!

An inspiring book, one you will want to refer to frequently, as you begin your journey—to finding your soul’s much needed, spiritual whitespace—a place to rest in order to find balance and beauty. Move beyond surviving. Make room for you. For God. For rest.

First, prior to relaying my thoughts about this beautifully written book, would encourage readers to visit the author’s website and blog: Faith Barista, serving up shots of faith for the daily grind. I loved everything about this informative, well laid out, and stunning website! http://www.faithbarista.com/finding-spiritual-whitespace/

You will learn more about Bonnie Gray, the author—her story, about the book, an interactive community link up, how to create your whitespace—enjoy, write, and share; goodies and tools, stories from other readers, challenges, and one of my favorites—the moving video, which automatically reduces your stress, upon viewing—inviting you to step into this peaceful and tranquil world of whitespace. Take me there now!

Intrigued, was anxious to learn more, by reading this thought-provoking book. An invaluable tool for us as women, as we try and balance our busy work and personal lives.

A beautiful written story of discovery (a journey to create space in our hearts and for God, so we can live a better story today). Some of our stories are happy and some not. God uses broken pieces to make something beautiful. A space on a page left untouched. Our souls need whitespace and rest.

Intimacy with God, in the secret place where you can dream dreams and be yourself. God is an artist and we are his works of art. Every woman’s story – to slow down, to feed your soul, to feel more deeply connected to your own heart and others—as we take the journey to uncover the stories deep within our souls.

God uses spiritual whitespace the same way an artist uses whitespace in imbue artwork with an incredible aesthetic quality-whether it be painting, the still of a photography, or a well architected home. God uses white space in our lives to reawaken our souls with rest.

With raw honesty and emotion, Bonnie guides readers to discover a better life for yourself. One that feeds your soul and makes room for rest. Infused with biblical encouragement and thought-provoking tidbits, she demonstrates how to create space in your everyday for God right in the midst of our stressful lives.

When we step into whitespace, we are no longer holding on to our old ways of coping, managing, and doing. We are only holding on to Jesus. As we suffer from perfectionism, guilt, anxiety, insomnia, fearful of being judged, and trapped. Jesus meets us in those desolate places.

This was my favorite part---Desolation is where Jesus went to meet with God. It’s where Jesus chose to retreat. It’s the last place we’d think someone so connected to God the Father would go. Yet Jesus sought out desolate places. When crowds pressed in around him for healing, Jesus was in touch with his needy soul, he withdrew.

Desolation is where Jesus went to meet with God. It’s where Jesus chose to retreat. It isn’t where we’d expect— Where is your basement? Get curious about yourself. If you were to stop fighting to stay strong—to stop rowing upstream and allow God to take your heart downstream where would it lead?

How many of us find ourselves running on empty with no time for rest, no time for ourselves, no time for God?

Gray offers intriguing insights into scripture and God views his flawed but beloved creations. At each chapter’s end, journaling prompts help readers identify areas where they need to create whitespace.

This book is much more than a memoir—an invitation to walk the difficult road to self-discovery and healing with a fellow traveler who understands. Learning how to identify stressors, and eliminate emotional clutter will benefit anyone, not just those suffering from PTSD.

“In graphic design, the more cluttered a layout is, the more text and images crowd the print. The purpose is no longer beauty. It is commercialization. Whitespace is the choice to convey quality and artistic value. We are fine art in God’s eyes."
Each section in this book leaves you with the following:
Pull up a Chair – Share
A Whitespace Prompt – Try This
A Soul Conversation – Confide in Him
Find your basement – the real you.

“Our scars make us know that our past was for real.” Jane Austen

Healing is the journey through places of misery. I found myself bookmarking almost every page, as packed with inspiring quotes and references for self-discovery, as the author openly shares her struggles and joy to finding her whitespace.

FINDING YOUR WHITESPACE is a gem, and one you will treasure and share with friends and loved ones. Thank you Bonnie for sharing your journey, your courage, and talent to help others discover their much deserved whitespace!

This memoir-driven book chronicles Bonnie’s journey through childhood trauma and anxiety, and is the founder of the popular blog Faith Barista serving up shots of faith for the daily grind! Looking forward to seeing you there. Well done!
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I found the novel, “Finding Spiritual Whitespace” to be an excellently written novel. The novel is written by Bonnie Gray, who is the writer behind Faith Barista.com. She wrote this book about her inspiring, heartbreaking journey to find rest, which garnered Publisher’s Weekly starred review. I am taking the journey to find rest through this guidebook and I invite you too read it too.

“Finding Spiritual Whitespace” was one of those books where you sit down to read it and it completely consumes your attention. I enjoyed every minute that was spent reading it, and while I did not dive as deep as I wanted to into the book this first time around, I plan to go back , read it again and use it as a way to truly find what my spiritual whitespace looks like. It is an excellent way to further your relationship with Christ as well and if used properly will help you start your journey towards finding rest in Jesus. Within the book, Bonnie Gray tells of her her own painful journey with PTSD that actually arose from writing the novel. She also reveals how to awaken our own souls to spiritual rest and also how to become closer to Christ. In her words: “Spiritual Whitespace makes room- room in our hearts for a deeper, more intimate relationship with God, room in our lives for rest, room in our souls for rejuvenation.

The book is written in a way that encourages the reader to pause and ponder. Each chapter ends with various prompts and tools for prayer, discussion, etc; I loved this and when I go back and read it again these will definitely help me to dive deeper and soak up the material and wisdom being presented. I also highly recommend this book to all who want to heal and find peace.

Favorite quote/ passage: “God is the Artist and Architect of the soul. He doesn't use up every single possible space on the canvas. When God looked at what he was holding- after placing his lips and breathing into the dust- he saw something come alive. Something he never, ever made before. It's what God sees, looking into your heart and mine today. He is making something beautiful out of you.”

Note: I was given this book for free in exchange for my honest review from Revell. ( )
  Lexistar08 | Sep 24, 2014 |
I’ve been following Bonnie Gray over at Faith Barista.com for several years now and have been always blessed by Bonnie’s words. So when her book came out, I was eager to read it. I have been fortunate to be part of Bonnie’s book launch team and to be in community with other readers and bloggers in the group.

I appreciate Bonnie’s willingness to tell her story of the causes of the PTSD that led her into a deeper relationship with Jesus. It has been my experience that in telling our stories, as Bonnie has done, we have been labeled as “unspiritual” or “weak”, or worse yet, to be told that we should put everything behind us and move on. Which doesn’t work, of course. We can put our pain and hurts and trauma in a box way up on a dark closet shelf, far in the back, but at some point, they will come falling down and bite us, usually when we’re least prepared for it.

We forget in different ways. We bury painful memories, knowingly or unknowingly. Any way that we do it, we think they’re gone forever, and we move on. But our bodies remember the truth of what happened to us; and one way or another, those buried memories will affect our lives.

That’s exactly what happened to Bonnie, and she was caught by surprise by the flood of emotions that took over her life. But she made the courageous decision to take that box of memories down off the closet shelf, where, as a little girl, she’d placed them, so well that she’d forgotten about it.

By taking down that box full of painful memories, Bonnie was able to heal, and to discover how much she is loved by Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. No longer running as fast as she could to escape something she didn’t even realize was there, she was able to incorporate her healing into her book, which focuses on learning to become aware of those “whitespace times” where we can slow down and get quiet in order to hear God’s voice in our lives.

Reading this book has helped me to become aware of my own need for whitespace times and to leave room in my schedule to find rest and to make more room for the companionship of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Sometimes I find this space sitting in front of my spinning wheel and creating beautiful yarn, or looking through the lens of my camera, or writing on my blog, or spending times with friends.

Awareness. The whitespace is there. We just need to purpose to make time for it in our busy lives.

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from Revell with no expectations of what I would say in my review. I also purchased a copy to give to a friend. ( )
  Mokihana | Jul 1, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,298,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible