The Closer You Come by Gena Showalter

The Closer You Come

by Gena Showalter

Series: The Original Heartbreakers (Book 1)

"Just released from prison, Jase Hollister has one goal: stay out of trouble. Strawberry Valley, Oklahoma, sounds like the perfect place for him and his two brothers-by-circumstance to settle down and live a nice, simple life. But model citizen isn't exactly this rugged bachelor's default setting--especially when it comes to a certain hot-blooded Southern beauty... Brook Lynn Dillon has always been responsible. Not that it's done her much good. The down-on-her-luck waitress is broke, single and fun-deprived. Until Jase comes along. He is dangerous, sexy and tempting as sin, and the sizzling passion between them is undeniable. But can it melt her resistance? After all, the right kind of trouble might be just what they both need" --… (more)

He's an ex-con, who's suffered a lot of abuse not only las a kid but while in prison. His friends do their best to help and support him but it's Brook Lynn that finally helps him heal. Brook Lynn's parents died and she was left to raise her sister after their Uncle made off with their inheritance. Her sister is way beyond messed up and abuses her good nature. The men go through women like their disposable and I hated the way Brook Lynn let folks run roughshod over her. Jase while pulling on your sympathies one moment made me want to cut his balls off at others.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Summary
Brook Lynn Dillon is a woman that hasn't had the best of luck in life. She has been responsible for her sister. She works two jobs, in hopes of saving enough to take over a jewely shop in their small town. Brook Lynn, has had to look after her sister constantly, always getting into trouble and Brook Lynn tends to get too frustrated at times with her. But when her latest endeavor has her in bed with one of the latest bachelors of the town...Jase Hollister. Jase Hollister, a ex con, has come to with his two close friends, to make a fresh start and after ten years behind bars, is looking for some peace and quiet after all the torment and suffering he has head to deal with since he was a teenager. When he meets Brook Lynn, he is drawn to her, because she despises him and he doesn't know what to make of her complex nature. The chemistry between Brook and Jase is fiery hot, but Brook Lynn is a commitment gal. When she realizes that is not Jase, she reluctantly agrees to a temporary fling, but soon learns that life is never that simple. But there is a secret in Jase's past, a secret that destroy everything they hold dear.
Plot and Story Line
The Closer You Come is the first novel in the latest series from Gena Showalter. Now I resisted picking up this one, since I wasn't sure how this author would handle the change in genres. But I am pleased to say how impressed I was with how well done this one was written. I didn't expect to love it as much as I did, but I honestly wanted more of this story. From the beginning scene, I was drawn into the story instantly. It was a bit different, considering our heroine finds the hero in bed with her sister....awkward much? But we soon see how much chemistry these two have, and man did they have chemistry. It was quite a battle seeing Jase and Brook Lynn work through their issues. Jase on one hand, is struggling with his past and trying to decide if he can trust Brook Lynn with his secret. Brook Lynn, is dedicated and hard working but has issues with trust and letting herself go and opening herself up. The issues these both struggle with internally, are heartfelt and my heart ached for both of them but most especially Jace. He has had a rough time of it and has been betrayed by just about everyone in his life, including his closest friends. There is such great character development that we see evolve in this story which really added much more enjoyment for the reader. Both main characters are quite unique in their own personalities and it was so fun to see what a match these two were for each other. For most of the story they are connecting on a emotional intimate level they don't see themselves until they are so drawn into their bond, there is no return. We see depth and a solid romance that is tested in a few brutal ways. It was quite interesting to see the intricate ways these two finally come together,

“You are pleasure to my pain, hope to my fear. You are everything I’ve ever needed but didn’t think I’d be lucky enough to have.”

The romance that forms between these two is slow and steady, it didn't seem too rushed at all which I was extremly glad about. But I also was happy to see some development between Brook Lynn's sister Jessie Kay and West. I am definitely looking forward to see what developments I will see in the next couple of books. The story of The Closer You Come is vibrant in emotion and has a sexy love appeal that I craved more of. I was glad to see that Gena Showalter hasn't lost her touch and I felt it so easy to connect with this story in ways I didn't see coming my way. There is thrills and danger, mystery and emotion, and a sexy gem to bring a tear to your eye.
Narration
I had quite a fun time with this narrator, I had listened to her before and really enjoyed her in previous listenings. So I was quite interested at first to see how she would do with this one. I was fully satisfied with how she opens up the story and brings it to life.
The Cover
I LOVE this cover...the artists and publisher did a great job in portrayed the perfect match for the story!!
Overall View
The Closer You Come is a stunning tale that Showalter gives us....a story that portrays the healing power of love and the twist of fate that binds two people together in a stimulating romance guaranteed to stay with you for a long while. ROMANCE AT ITS CORE!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 24, 2019 |
Gena Showalter is well know for her paranormal romances. I love her Lords of the Underworld series, but I’m also glad I picked up her contemporary romance to try. I feel in love with Strawberry Valley and it's characters.

Jase Hollister has been out of prison for six months and is now trying to make a life for himself. His two best friends or bothers, have all come to Strawberry Valley to start fresh. All Jase wants is peace, quiet, and solitude. He bears some major scars from his time in prison and his past; before prison. He dons’t show this on the outside, but inside you see he’s scared and scarred.

Brook Lynn Dillon has lived in Strawberry Valley her entire life. Brook Lynn and her sister, Jessie Kay, have struggled to survive. Their past was wonderful until tragidy struck their family. Brook Lynn has and is working herself hard to support herself and her sister ,who is a loose party girl and besides all that she was treated unkind as a kid for her hearing ads.

To say Jase and Brook Lynn don’t have a good first meeting is an understatement and to make it worse he’s bedded her sister. As time moves on and they get to know each other, the chemistry between them sizzles. They both have issues and Jase doesn’t make it easy for anyone to get close.

These two where a lot of fun. The slow build in their romance was enduring and the sexual tension was off the charts. When these two finally get together, oh my, do the sparks fly. They had to work through their issues and fight for each other. Jase and Brook Lynn have some good exchanges which where funny and enjoyable to hear and that “to do” list was a great addition to the story. I had a taste of this “to do” list concept in the novella and loved it so much, I was hopping it would show up in the other books and it did.

I really like the small town feel of Strawberry Valley and the characters were so reminiscent of what people go through in life. All the different trials, issues, and tribulations. Life is not easy. It has it’s good moments and it’s bad. We must learn to deal, move on, and fight for those we love.

Audio Narration: Savannah Richards was wonderful. Her narration was enjoyable and she brought out each character, handling the different voices and genders splendidly. She also brought the slow burning romance alive and the emotional issues to life.

I’m hooked! I had a lot of fun with The Closer You Come. It’s sweet, emotional, fun, and sexy with a little bit of suspense. I plan on picking up the next book in audiobook for this series.

Rated: 4 Stars

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
I liked this story. Jase is a damaged soul and watching him learn to trust and to live his life with joy was a good story. Brooke Lynn has some image issues and is always struggling to make ends meet and is constantly trying to save her sister from her destructive behavior.

What I didn't like was how much of the book is devoted to sex. So, after awhile I just skipped over those pages and moved on with the story. ( )
  CLDunn | Jan 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked it, but the last part of the book seemed rushed and there was a lot crammed in at the end that I would have liked to have seen explored in more depth. It's just me probably, but the two name names kind of annoyed me. ( )
  sdbookhound | May 16, 2017 |

Showalter, GenaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richards, SavannahReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Books, RecordedPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strawberry Valley, Oklahoma
Population 7416

Drive Slow and See Our City,
Drive Fast and See Our Jail.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,610,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible