The BFG (1982)

by Roald Dahl

Kidsnatched from her orphanage by a BFG (Big Friendly Giant), who spends his life blowing happy dreams to children, Sophie concocts with him a plan to save the world from nine other man-gobbling cannybull giants.

English (284)  Dutch (7)  Hungarian (2)  French (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (297)
This book is amazing! My favorite Roald Dahl book and one of my favorite books as a kid. Not sure what it was that I liked about it, but I loved it. I remember the evil giants scared me though as a kid, but the BFG is just one extremely likeable character you forget that evil giants exist in the book. I remember something about Queen Elisabeth in this book too and some other king. Since there making a movie of this (FINALLY!) I might have to reread this book again. ( )
  Ghost_Boy | Aug 25, 2022 |
I read this book every year to the third grade classes in my library story time. They start out thinking its stupid, but Dahl sucks them all in. Probably one of my favorite Dahl books of all time. The snozzcumbers and whizzpoppers and all the other crazy language makes it the best book to read aloud. ( )
  Jen-Lynn | Aug 1, 2022 |
Roald was a master of Imagination, and anyone should be able to understand why his works have been adapted by other iconic creatives including, but not limited to: Zemeckis, Spielberg, and Burton.

Outside of most of the silver screen adaptations, I have never been a die-hard fan of his oeuvre, generally, or him as a person, specifically— but I do appreciate the creativity and imagination he put into his work.

As for The BFG, I liked it well-enough. The plot may be overly-silly and whimsical, but where this one truly shines is being read aloud to your children at bedtime. The voices and language used are just so much fun out loud.

If you ever get the chance to read this to someone— take it. ( )
  Chuck_ep | Jul 18, 2022 |
4.5 stars. Classic, sweet, endearing tale. ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
Mooi geschreven boek met goede verhaallijn over de reus die kinderen juist helpt in plaats van op te eten. Het is een mooi fantasie boek want aansluit op dromen en fantasie beelden van kinderen. Gedetailleerd en beeldend geschreven, ook de taal van de GVR zorgt voor sterkere verhaallijn.

Voorlezen is door de taal van de GVR wel lastig. ( )
  noribouwens | Nov 7, 2021 |
The BFG captures the imagination of every adult and child with an imagination worth capturing. Wonderfully written, witty, courageous, understated and with such a strong morality, this book is a treaure for young and old readers alike. We have been blessed with the gift of language and writers like Roald Dahl allow themselves to roll in the hay with letters and words. The result is a story with a big heart and a dancing theme.
added by bogs | editNew York Times, bogs (Oct 8, 2009)

Dahl, Roaldprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Walliams, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ziliotto , DonatellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a teacher's guide

For Olivia

20 April 1955 -
17 November 1962
Sophie couldn't sleep.
A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right onto her pillow.

out by alex

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141805919, 0141322624, 0141332166, 014134301X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,723,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible