Red Queen: Collector's Edition by Victoria…

Red Queen: Collector's Edition (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Victoria Aveyard (Author)

Series: Red Queen (1)

Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood -- those with common, Red blood serve the Silver-blooded elite, who are gifted with superhuman abilities. Mare is a Red, scraping by as a thief in a poor, rural village, until a twist of fate throws her in front of the Silver court. Before the king, princes, and all the nobles, she discovers she has an ability of her own. To cover up this impossibility, the king forces her to play the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks everything and uses her new position to help the Scarlet Guard -- a growing Red rebellion -- even as her heart tugs her in an impossible direction. One wrong move can lead to her death, but in the dangerous game she plays, the only certainty is betrayal.… (more)
Member:EmmyBou
Title:Red Queen: Collector's Edition
Authors:Victoria Aveyard (Author)
Info:Orion (2015)

Work Information

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (2015)

English (286)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (291)
Horn Book; SLJ; PW
  jmorigeau | Nov 18, 2021 |
I liked the beginning, even with the similarities to any number of other books. Once the plot got moving, though, the story got away from the author. Motivations were strained until they didn't make any sense. Betrayals only worked on the surface. Overly powerful characters avoided using their powers to discover the poor plotting of the main characters because... luck, I guess? ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
I listened to the audio book of this. I enjoyed it. It's about this society where your place in life is determined by the color of your blood. If you have silver blood, then you are born with some kind of special ability like controlling metal, telekinesis, controlling peoples minds, ect. If you have red blood, then you are a normal human being and therefore less than a silver. Silvers rule this world and Reds are the slave labor pretty much. And then there is Mare Barrow. She is something special. She is different. She is a Red with an ability of a Silver. Before she knows it, she is thrust into the Silver world disguised as a Silver, betrothed to a Silver Prince, and secretly a spy for the Scarlet Guard. The Scarlet Guard is a Red rebel organization determined to bring down the cruel Silver rulers. ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
Mare Barrow is resigned to a bleak fate. She's a Red (meaning she bleeds red and has no magical abilities) and has no skills to offer, aside from being an adept pickpocket. She is able to provide for her family using that tactic, though she knows her mother isn't exactly fond of who she gets the things she brings home. But it doesn't matter, since she knows it will be less than a year before she is conscripted and will go to fight a war being waged by the Slivers (the ruling class, who, yes, actually bleed silver and possess magical abilities) with Reds as their (often unwilling soldiers). But after Mare chances upon an odd young man one evening who gets her a job at the palace, everything changes. It is here that she (and the Silvers) discover that she's no ordinary Red. In fact, she's so extraordinary that her mere existence could threaten the entire balance of their society. Mare quickly finds herself wrapped up in the world of the Silvers, still clinging to her Red heritage, and not really knowing which way to turn. But in a power-based society where people will step over each other to get to the top, there may not be any direction that is entirely safe.

Although there is the female-YA-protagonist-with-some-romantic-subplot syndrome going on here, I did enjoy this book. The world that's been created here, the major players, and the sharp twists and turns this one takes made it difficult for me to put this book down. It's easy to get lost in Mare's world. The writing is excellent, and I find myself looking forward to the next book in the series. This would probably be a five-star recommendation from me if it wasn't for the subplot mentioned above. While it didn't overtake the story in the ways it often does in YA lately, it's overdone to the point that its existence in a book gives me pause at this point. If you are like me and put off by that trope, I still suggest giving this a chance as I think there are more enough redeeming qualities to make up for it in this one. ( )
  crtsjffrsn | Aug 27, 2021 |
This book is written in a way where the plot is unpredictable. the characters are presented perfectly and the main female character Mare shows strong and independent characteristics. She shows that she doesn't need anyone to help her make the decision of what is right and wrong and is determined to make life fair for her people. Silver bloods having powers and red bloods being left behind, Mare uses being a red blood with powers as an advantage at giving a better future for those who are red blood and suffering. Even as the royal family attempts to hide her in plain sight she uses her clever skills to achieve her goal as well as put on a fake façade to fool the royal family and the rest of the silvers. Even though one of the queens sons offers to help her could she really trust anyone. she learnt a lot and uncovered many secrets. Over all the plot twists in this book convinced me to read the rest of the series but I don't want to spoil parts of the book so if you do read it enjoy :) ( )
  book_1907 | Aug 22, 2021 |
To Mom, Dad, and Morgan, who wanted to know what happened next, even when I didn't.
I hate First Friday.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,458,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible