The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and…

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma (original 2014; edition 2015)

by Bessel van der Kolk M.D. (Author)

An expert on traumatic stress outlines an approach to healing, explaining how traumatic stress affects brain processes and how to use innovative treatments to reactivate the mind's abilities to trust, engage others, and experience pleasure. --Publisher's description.
Member:top19
Title:The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma
Authors:Bessel van der Kolk M.D. (Author)
Info:Penguin Publishing Group (2015), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages

The Body Keeps The Score: Mind, Brain and Body in the Transformation of Trauma by Bessel A. van der Kolk (2014)

English (31)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (33)
This is the best book on trauma that I have ever read! It is so refreshing to hear about treatments that do not re-traumatize the person on the receiving end. I am definitely going to give EMDR and meditation a shot. I also like that my journal and art practices were affirmed as therapeutic treatments. Both have helped me way more than all the useless drugs or talk therapies I've tried. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
The Meat of this Book is in Part Five.

Here is the Outline of Part Five of the Book:

1) Owning your own self -- Taking responsibility for our own self

2) Language -- Speaking it Out

3) Letting Go -- Exploring the Process

4) Learning about our Body -- (Yoga)

5) Self-Leadership -- Knowing Our Internal Landscape

6) Creating Structures -- New Narratives

7) Rewiring your Brain --Neuro-Feedback

8) Finding your Voice -- Theater

I am not sure, if this would work for non-Western cultures or even everyone among Westerners.

I am not sure, if I can recommend this work.

Why? Each Person's Worldview might be different.

Eg: Secular, Islamic, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian.

There are fundamental differences in values in each of the above.

Deus Vult,
Gottfried ( )
  gottfried_leibniz | Jun 25, 2021 |
So much to say about this powerful book. It took me more time to finish this book than any other I've read. I carried it with me to and from school - unread but never left behind for months in Poughkeepsie - back home on my desk. Sometimes I'd read thirty pages in a day. Sometimes weeks would pass and I didn't read a word of it. Eventually, finally, I pushed through and finished it. This book has taught me as much about myself as some of my favorite novels, probably more. It's painful, illuminating, potent, and mystifying. It makes the traumatized brain accessible.

If this book was written by a queer femme (of color), it would be my Bible. I still want everyone in my life to read it. ( )
  rosscharles | May 19, 2021 |
"The greatest hope for traumatized, abused, and neglected children is to receive a good education in schools were they are seen and known, where they learn to regulate themselves, and where they can develop a sense of agency. At their best, schools can function as islands of safety in a chaotic world. They can teach children how their body and brains works and how we can understand and deal with their emotions. Schools can play a significant role in instilling the traumas of neighborhoods or families."

As an educator, I completely agree and I'd encourage everyone who interacts with persons who have experienced trauma to give this book a read.
  aevaughn | Mar 25, 2021 |
This was a really enlightening book in terms of what I learned. So my star rating is more reflective of trying to cope with too much detail via an e-book and a writer who wanted to tell us all about his training.

To be fair, the point Kolk makes is really excellent in explaining that 'trauma' is any situation that impacts our memories. This imprint registers in our brains to either be processed or to elicit and re-elicit the actuality of the event. The book's factual content is certainly in a five-star range, I simply believe it could have been delivered more pointedly. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Feb 2, 2021 |
Packed with science and human stories, the book is an intense read that can get technical. Stay with it, though: van der Kolk has a lot to say, and the struggle and resilience of his patients is very moving.

Kolk, Bessel A. van derprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Matisse, HenriCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pratt, SeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One does not have to be a combat soldier, or visit a refugee camp in Syria or the Congo to encounter trauma.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,295,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible