Solitaire (2015)

by Alice Oseman

Series: Solitaire (1)

In case you're wondering, this is not a love story. My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year - before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people - I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that's all over now. Now there's Solitaire. And Michael Holden. I don't know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don't care about Michael Holden. I really don't. This incredible debut novel by outstanding young author Alice Oseman is perfect for fans of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and all unflinchingly honest writers.… (more)

I liked this more than I expected, it was oddly relatable in some ways ( )
  Pepper-Pig | Apr 24, 2022 |
4.5 to 5 stars.
TW: Suicidal ideas, Suicide & attempted suicide, on- & off-page, Self-harm, on- & off-page, Depression, Anorexia.

[b:Solitaire|20618110|Solitaire|Alice Oseman|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1390416741l/20618110._SY75_.jpg|39901420] is the debut novel of Alice Oseman and is set after the events of [b:Heartstopper: Volume One|40495957|Heartstopper Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)|Alice Oseman|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1541887843l/40495957._SY75_.jpg|62811229] which was written later on. The main character is Tori, Charlie's sister. Tori is struggling at the moment, then enter Solitaire, a blog where the creator plays pranks all over the school. Then enter Michael Holden who is definitely a lot more than he seems.

At the start, I wasn't a fan but as time went on, I got more hooked, turning the pages faster than ever.
I absolutely loved our main Character, Tori is an amazing protagonist and I can relate to her with some of the things she went through. Charlie and Nick make some appearances and as usual, they are great, Charlie is a cinnamon roll I swear!
I hated Ben, what a surprise considering I hated him in [b:Heartstopper: Volume One|40495957|Heartstopper Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)|Alice Oseman|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1541887843l/40495957._SY75_.jpg|62811229]
Lucas was alright, I did have some suspicions about him throughout the book.

The writing was odd, I think a good way to describe it was that it sounded unsure and awkward at times, but taking into account that this was a debut novel written by an 18 year old, I think we should be surprised that the writing only had that issue.

The book covers a lot of topics our generation deals with, partners, LGTBQ , Mental Health issues and I think it portrays these well and they don't misrepresent or are disrespectful about it.

Overall, a book with a great protagonist and an interesting plotline.

crazynerd | Mar 30, 2022 |
Nobody writes teenagers as well as Alice Oseman. Especially anxious, depressed teenagers who don't fit in. Tori is my favourite character from Heartstopper so when I realised this book is all about her I had to read it. She reminds me so much of my teenage self, it's actually quite a therapeutic read. Her middle name is even Annabel. This was Oseman's first book so it's not as strong as her later ones but it still has her usual magic of focusing on friendships rather than romance. I feel like all parents of teenagers with mental health struggles should read this. ( )
  altricial | Dec 17, 2021 |
I have consistently loved Alice Oseman's Heartstopper graphic novels, but I'm not terribly keen on her novels so far.

I picked up this one because I knew that it features characters from the graphic novels. I was not aware though that it is set chronologically after the graphic novels, so I got some spoilers for where that story is headed, but nothing that hasn't already been hinted at or will ruin the them for me. But steer clear if you'd rather see the events unfold there first.

I did enjoy the first half of this book as narrator Victoria "Tori" Spring gave us her pessimistic and introverted perspective on her schoolmates, pop culture, and life. But in the final hundred pages, the snark turns exceedingly to self-pity, which I tire of quickly. It's also frustrating that such a bright person is so willfully oblivious to the feelings of the people around her and developments occurring in the plot. And boy does that plot unravel into some purely ridiculous action set pieces that left me rolling my eyes as I closed the cover for the last time.

Of course, Oseman wrote this novel when she was only seventeen, so it is not surprising that the graphic novels have benefited from her added years of life and writing experience. ( )
  villemezbrown | Oct 2, 2021 |
It's interesting. The book does have some flaws. It felt a bit too long and I zero idea what actually happened at the end because it felt disjointed.

But it also felt very real. At least when you were a 'moody' teenager who actually had some mental issues. Even Tori's parents felt somewhat real in that they didn't acknowledge that part. On the other hand... They were also not part of the story. Same with the parents of Michael. Where were they?!

In the end I'm glad I read it. But I don't want to read Radio Silence immediately. I need some less drama and more murder right now. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
"And your defect is a propensity to hate everybody."
"And yours," he replied with a smile, "is willfully to misunderstand them."
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Elizabeth Bennett: Do you dance, Mr. Darcy?
Mr. Darcy: Not if I can help it.
- Pride and Prejudice (2005)
For Emily Moore, who stuck by me from the beginning
I am aware as I step into the common room that the majority of people here are almost dead, including me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,140,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible