Band of Giants: The Amateur Soldiers Who Won…

Band of Giants: The Amateur Soldiers Who Won America's Independence

by Jack Kelly

Band of Giants brings to life the founders who fought for our independence in the Revolutionary War. Jefferson, Adams, and Franklin are known to all; men like Morgan, Greene, and Wayne are less familiar. Yet the dreams of the politicians and theorists only became real because fighting men were willing to take on the grim, risky, brutal work of war. We know Fort Knox, but what about Henry Knox, the burly Boston bookseller who took over the American artillery at the age of 25? Eighteen counties in the United States commemorate Richard Montgomery, but do we know that this revered martyr launched a full-scale invasion of Canada? The soldiers of the American Revolution were a diverse lot: merchants and mechanics, farmers and fishermen, paragons and drunkards. Most were ardent amateurs. Even George Washington, assigned to take over the army around Boston in 1775, consulted books on military tactics. Here, Jack Kelly vividly captures the fraught condition of the war--the bitterly divided populace, the lack of supplies, the repeated setbacks on the battlefield, and the appalling physical hardships. That these inexperienced warriors could take on and defeat the superpower of the day was one of the remarkable feats in world history.… (more)
    The Court-Martial of Paul Revere: A Son of Liberty and America's Forgotten Military Disaster by Michael M. Greenburg (torrey23)
    torrey23: An interest in amateur soldiers in the Revolutionary War will likely translate into an interest into other characters that are not well-known, or only known for one instance. The Court-Martial of Paul Revere takes a famous person and provides information that is not readily known by most people. This is an excellent copanion to Band of Giants.… (more)

So glad I read this one! I have read quite a few books on the Founding Fathers and the American Revolution, but I keep learning something new. It seems that many books on the war focus solely on George Washington, as though he won the war single-handedly. Yes, he was an exceptional general, but I liked that this book also focused on the other leaders, men like Henry Knox, Benedict Arnold, and my distant cousin, Nathanael Greene. I didn't know much at all about the war in Canada, so I was glad to see that was covered. It's not a very long book, but it was well worth reading.

I got this free in return for a (belated) review. ( )
  cmbohn | Jun 1, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Excellent book that I recommend to history geeks and teachers along with anyone who enjoys history. I received a copy but had to wait for my husband, who grabbed it first, to finish it. Not only was it enjoyable, but it offered great illustrations to share with my history students.
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote RobynELee | Apr 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book provided a great overview of the American Revolution by portraying the men who fought for independence. The author made the amateur officers and soldiers come alive as he described their civilian backgrounds. The heroes each rose to the challenges they faced and overcame huge odds in order to be victorious over the British. A few men highlighted were Ethan Allen, Henry Knox, and Daniel Morgan. Kelly gave nice closure to the book by providing details about each man's life post-war and their successes and failures back in civilian life. ( )
1 vote kkunker | Feb 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Band of Giants tells the story of the American Revolution through the lives of its citizen soldiers and officers.
This chronicle of the Revolutionary War is more than a listing of dates, battles and outcomes. It is a history of young men of various backgrounds, most with little or no military training. Their talents and perseverance, along with Washington's genius, resulted in a victory over an experienced and formidable foe.
Most of these men were very colorful characters, but the steadfast Henry Knox impressed me the most. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in early American history. ( )
1 vote GerrysBookshelf | Jan 18, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A very interesting read! The story of how our early American soldiers, amateurs in battle in every sense of the word, outfought the best army in the world while enduring untold difficulties and hardships. An inspiring story of the birth of our nation.
  Berkshires | Jan 4, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jack Kelly's book Band of Giants The Amateur Soldiers Who Won America's Independence was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,963,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible