The End of the World Running Club by Adrian…

The End of the World Running Club (edition 2017)

by Adrian J. Walker (Author)

A powerful post-apocalyptic thriller, perfect for fans of The End of the F*cking World. 'A real find' STEPHEN KING When the world ends and you find yourself stranded on the wrong side of the country, every second counts. No one knows this more than Edgar Hill. 550 miles away from his family, he must push himself to the very limit to get back to them, or risk losing them forever... His best option is to run. But what if your best isn't good enough? The Number One race-against-time bestseller as featured on Simon Mayo's Radio 2 Book Club *The sequel, The Survivors' Club, is now available to pre-order* What readers are saying - over 350 5* reader reviews: 'Difficult to put down and impossible to forget' 'A real page turner' 'An absolute joy of a read' 'Gripping and entertaining all the way through' 'Exciting right from the beginning and it left me wanting more' 'This book gets better with every page turn'… (more)
Member:Haraldsdottir
Title:The End of the World Running Club
Authors:Adrian J. Walker (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark (2017), 466 pages

Work Information

The End of the World Running Club by Adrian J. Walker

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: After a devastating event (a flu pandemic in Station Eleven; an asteroid strike in Running Club) a band of people traverse the country on foot in search of a community.
    The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: When asteroids are on a collision course with Earth, ordinary men must race against time to solve a problem.

English (25)  German (3)  All languages (28)
I did enjoy it. Three books in one really - post apocalypse, dad coming of age, long distance running - and while the first two did not quite ring true, the third did. Other reviewers have noted the classist and misogynist elements. Both the 'working class' and the women are rather patronised. But hey ho it still kept my attention. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
Edgar Hill is overweight, self-absorbed, lazy, selfish, indifferent. In a sort of grand comeuppance, the universe rains down the apocalypse from the sky on Edgar's cozy little life (after he completely ignores warnings of the possibility for weeks) and destroys everything. Now Edgar has to learn to survive in a world where nothing comes easily...where death lurks around corners....where some survivors go insane or turn almost feral...where he has to truly work to save his wife and children. Edgar finds himself running a race across the UK to find his family after they are separated by an international task force rescuing survivors. Edgar has to find strength and endurance that seems impossible while battling evil, physical pain and the elements.

I found myself shaking my head multiple times at the self-absorbed whining Edgar uses to explain his behavior in the first 2/3 of this book. But....aren't we all a bit self-absorbed at times? Don't we all fall a bit short as a spouse, a parent, sibling, daughter/son, friend, boss/employee.... Don't we all make excuses for our shortcomings? Blaming others. Bending our perceptions of our own thoughts, actions, failures. I know I do. Just imagine if an apocalyptic event hit....no more safe, warm house to live in...no more police....no more grocery store or gas station down the street...no more cars....no more anything. And panicked, out of control survivors out there looking to steal what little you do have or do harm to your family. If parenting became more than buying food, paying bills and driving kids to soccer practice.....what would happen?? Edgar finds out. BOOM. Everything gone. He has to be a man.....a Real Man.... responsible for actually protecting, feeding, and caring about his family. He has to come to grips with himself...and become More. Edgar goes on a journey...not just a physical one, but a mental one as well.

This is an amazing story! All of the characters Edgar meets along his journey face choices....and all choose their path. Some choose to sacrifice to help others....and some choose to benefit themselves. Very realistic. Some people are just as dangerous as the natural disaster that destroyed everything. And others, met totally by chance, are a blessing beyond measure. I loved how even minor characters had something to add to Edgar's story from the people who made the journey with him to minor encounters along the way. Edgar has to morph from a fat, lazy person into a long-distance runner. He openly admits that he has never run a single step by choice in his life.....and has to find the strength in himself to run hundreds of miles to find his family. He makes a choice....and it's quite the journey.

I like reading apocalyptic action stories. I enjoyed this one more than most because it had a different purpose. The story isn't just about surviving a catastrophe....it's about coming out on the other side a better person. This is the first book by Adrian J. Walker that I've read. I'm definitely going to read his other books. I like his writing style and the way endurance running figured into the plot.

I listened to the audio book version of this story. Narrated by Jot Davies, the audio from Blackstone Publishing is just over 15 hours long. Davies reads at a nice pace and his acting performance is wonderful! Be warned -- the characters YELL a lot. There are fights, arguments, dangerous situations, injuries, mental breakdowns, etc....and the characters are often loud. Not a book to listen to at work....or turned all the way up with earbuds in. ha ha. :) Lots of yelling in various Scottish and English accents studded with various colorful metaphors. :) But, it really makes the listening experience a great one! This is one of the best audio books I've listened to so far....Davies made the story come to life. Awesome listening experience...after I learned to turn down the volume when a certain character gets angry. :) ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Well drawn characters, though the narrator is pretty unlikable for much of the book, and his musings about his shortcomings tend to well up in unusual places. The story takes place in Scotland, which was different, and once the apocalypse comes it moves along at a pretty good pace. There's quite a bit of summing up in the later part, and like many books in this genre, the conclusion is open-ended and not especially satisfying. There are so many apocalypse books out there that aren't worth reading, it's always good to find one that is. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Aug 7, 2020 |
This audiobook was difficult for me, at first, but after the apocalypse happened (NOT a spoiler), it became easier for me to get into, and listen to. Jot Davies is the narrator, and he was very good, though a couple of his character voices I guess you would call them, were too weird to believe. But the different accents were top notch, and he helped make this audiobook very interesting all the way to the end.
The lead character was a real jerk to say the least, but he was able to change during the novel, and become better. I'm very glad it picked up after a while, or I would have been sorely upset. With this great storyline, how could one mess this up? Luckily, Walker did not. So if you feel yourself struggling through the first few chapters or so, please try and stick with it. You might like it as much as I did, at the end.
I have to say, Walker, that the twist at the end was RUUUUUDE......lol. But ok with me.
3.5 stars, and recommended. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
The End of the World Running Club 1/5

Had to bail on this one. The main character didn’t have a single redeeming quality. It spoiled the enjoyment. I don’t mind a morally ambiguous main character, but this was ridiculous. I mean, everyone might occasionally think the thoughts of the MC, but not all the time.
  Vokram | Mar 21, 2020 |

Adrian J. Walkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Püschel, NadineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schröder, GesineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Debbie, Bailey, and Joseph
Beliefs are strange.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,575,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible