All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

All the Bright Places

by Jennifer Niven

1,6191206,446 (4.06)21

English (117)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (120)
I liked this book when I read it, but it was before I was on Goodreads and tried to read more books critically. I'd like to reread this to give my thoughts on it better, but I'm pretty sure that if I did it would have too many problematic elements for me to enjoy. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
I liked this book.

It did a good job of depicting a mental illness without it being a quirky trait (like: I'm sooo OCD). It showed how a person might feel and explain what is affecting them when they don't know the right words. Finch uses "Awake" and "Asleep" to depict the different states that affect him. Awake seems to be a Manic state. While Asleep is a depressed state. It's never fully confirmed in the book, but the author is certainly intending Finch to have Bipolar disorder (aka Manic Depressive disorder).

The author draws from her own experiences to write this book. In the authors note, she states how she lost a loved one to suicide. And how she writes the characters seems like she spend at least some time reading and talking to people about their experiences, rather than making assumptions based on some "pop" psychology or misinformation.

It was a little like John Green, but luckily the characters weren't too quirky. They still had a tendency to know a fair few "important authors" and had convenient quotes ready on a whim. But I don't think they quite crossed the quirky line into annoyingly unrealistic.

I think Jennifer Niven did a good job of exploring aspects of suicide, loss, grief, self-blame, and mental illness. It's not an easy thing to do, and often it can go terribly wrong, but I think she's managed to create something that young audience can read and connect with. I imagine her own experiences help make this book more authentic; while she tries to make it an interesting story, it's not glorifying mental illness. Similar books have almost turned suicide and mental illnesses into fun quirky personality traits.

I recommend it if you like reading books that explore mental illnesses. ( )
  carmacreator | Jun 13, 2018 |
This book was amazing and painful. ( )
  BATGRLGOTHAMCITY | Apr 27, 2018 |
This book follows the story of two Indiana high school students: Violet Markley and Theodore Finch.
Violet just recently lost her sister Eleanor in a car accident. They were both driving down an icy road and Eleanor lost control of the vehicle. While she was killed instantly her sister Violet remained almost unharmed. “Almost” because ever since Eleanor’s death the world has lost its color for Violet. She has somewhat become a social recluse who doesn’t believe that anything you do in life matters. She has lost her passion for writing and is completely overcome by the loss of her sister.
Theodore Finch, called “Finch”, is the school’s weirdo; the outsider that no one wants to talk to. Finch himself struggles with self-induced insomnia as well as some personal issues, both of which he tries compensating with snarky (yet smart) comments, a few rebellious acts here and there, and the love for his guitar.
The two of them meet on top of their school’s bell tower when they both consider taking their own lives. It is Finch who keeps Violet from doing so and who then also takes her under his wing, wanting her to love life again. As part of a school project for which they have to explore their home state, the two spent some valuable time together and learn from each other what it means to live and accept life for what it is.
I think this is an amazing book for young adults. The writing is amazing, the characters are intriguing, and the storyline is incredibly important and probably resonates with a lot of teenagers out there. For adults like me, however, the book falls a little flat, especially in the beginning. Finch’s quirky character is borderline annoying (even though there’s a reason for that) and the storyline itself seems to be something that has to be turned into multiple teenage movies (10 Things I Hate About You, The Fault in Our Stars) or romantic comedies. As someone who reads a lot of contemporary fiction, I knew right from the beginning how the book would end. That being said, I DO believe that young adults will be able to relate to the characters and fall in the love with the writing! It’s exquisite to say the least! Jennifer Niven does an excellent job picking up the lingo and emotions of high schoolers and for that alone I would recommend it.
I gave it 3.75 stars. ( )
  mandkrue86 | Apr 9, 2018 |
This book was really good but I wish I hadn't read it. ( )
  tamaranewman | Mar 22, 2018 |

Jennifer Nivenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eekelen-Benders, Aleid vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for all the Germ girls and guys, who make it lovely
Is today a good day to die?

The Fault in Our Stars meets Eleanor and Park in this exhilarating and heart-wrenching love story about a girl who learns to live from a boy who intends to die.

Theodore Finch is fascinated by death, and he constantly thinks of ways he might kill himself. But each time, something good, no matter how small, stops him.

Violet Markey lives for the future, counting the days until graduation, when she can escape her Indiana town and her aching grief in the wake of her sister’s recent death.

When Finch and Violet meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school, it’s unclear who saves whom. And when they pair up on a project to discover the “natural wonders” of their state, both Finch and Violet make more important discoveries: It’s only with Violet that Finch can be himself—a weird, funny, live-out-loud guy who’s not such a freak after all. And it’s only with Finch that Violet can forget to count away the days and start living them. But as Violet’s world grows, Finch’s begins to shrink.

This is an intense, gripping novel perfect for fans of Jay Asher, Rainbow Rowell, John Green, Gayle Forman, and Jenny Downham from a talented new voice in YA, Jennifer Niven.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:21 -0400)

"Told in alternating voices, when Theodore Finch and Violet Markey meet on the ledge of the bell tower at school--both teetering on the edge--it's the beginning of an unlikely relationship, a journey to discover the "natural wonders" of the state of Indiana, and two teens' desperate desire to heal and save one another"… (more)

Jennifer Niven is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,029,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible