If: A Mind-Bending New Way of Looking at Big…

If: A Mind-Bending New Way of Looking at Big Ideas and Numbers (edition 2014)

by David J Smith, Steve Adams (Illustrator)

Author has found clever devices to scale down everything from time lines (the history of Earth compressed into one year), to quantities (all the wealth in the world divided into one hundred coins), to size differences (the planets shown as different types of balls).
Member:AC.Belgrade
Title:If: A Mind-Bending New Way of Looking at Big Ideas and Numbers
Authors:David J Smith
Other authors:Steve Adams (Illustrator)
Info:New York : Kids Can Press, 2014
Tags:Children's literature, Science

If: A Mind-Bending New Way of Looking at Big Ideas and Numbers by David J. Smith

Such an insightful read that I believe will relate to students as it gives examples that apply to real life and even giving a mention to the reader's life specifically. ( )
  NDeBlieux | May 3, 2019 |
My favorite method of teaching math is relating it to real life. This book caught my eye the second I looked through it in class. Numbers can be really scary, but this book made them interesting and admirable. Relating our world to concepts in curriculum is something that I greatly appreciate. The author had such a unique way of sharing interesting information and turning it into art. ( )
  aferrara | Apr 29, 2019 |
Useful for explaining matters with Alexandra and Tyler ( )
  Booksrme | Apr 26, 2019 |
This book is one of the several books made by David J. Smith that brings the universe into a tiny relatable scale for students. It starts off by bringing down our galaxy to the size of a dinner plate, and compares factors of the universe to this scale, helping the reader really capture the grandeur of our galaxy. It moves on to scaling down all the historical events in the past 3000 years to a month calendar, showing the birth of several Religious figures and important inventions. It talks about planets, history of Earth, life on Earth, inventions, continents, water, species, money, energy, life expectancy, population, and food. My favorite would be the last page which is “your life” it says if a single life would be shown by a jumbo pizza four slices would be the time spent in school (which is way more than I expected), four slices would be getting ready for sleep and sleeping, and another of the many that I found peculiar was that one slice would be preparing food and eating. Overall this book brings down the largeness of life into book that any child can open up and read. It is filled with so many interesting facts and historical moments I couldn’t stop reading! ( )
  ValRodriguez | Apr 23, 2019 |
This book was amazing! The illustrations and all the facts that the book contained blew me away. The book makes it easy for children and even adults to understand big numbers and concepts by showing them as things that they are more familiar with. (e.g.sizes of different planets using balls) ( )
  frmarr | Dec 28, 2018 |

This is a book which uses vivid pictures and easy sentence to make reader easy to understand a lot of complicated knowledge such as universal, population and so on.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,146,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible