Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World…

Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General… (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Bill O'Reilly (Author)

Series: Killing (4)

General George S. Patton, Jr. died under mysterious circumstances in the months following the end of World War II. For almost seventy years, there has been suspicion that his death was not an accident, and may very well have been an act of assassination. The audio book looks at the final year of the war and recounts the events surrounding Patton's tragic demise, naming names of the many powerful individuals who wanted him silenced.… (more)
Member:rickchristabrown
Title:Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General (Bill O'Reilly's Killing Series)
Authors:Bill O'Reilly (Author)
Info:Henry Holt and Company (2014), Edition: 1st, 352 pages

Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General by Bill O'Reilly (2014)

Although it contained information about Patton's contributions to the American WWII efforts, including the Battle of the Bulge, the book was simply filled with too much extraneous information...Hitler's dog, Eisenhower's mistress/driver, and Rommel's suicide, for example. Only the first and last few minutes (about 20%) contain information about the mysterious circumstances of his death and then only circumstantial speculation...no facts to back it up. Read the book if you're into WWII in a small way as it will educate. ( )
  buffalogr | Apr 4, 2021 |
Some of the details of battle horrors were a little much, but I enjoyed the insight into the personalities driving the decision making. Really fascinating. ( )
  mullinstreetzoo | Feb 12, 2021 |
I want to give this book five stars because I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. However, I was disappointed that by the end of the book, about ten pages in total were dedicated to the circumstances surrounding Patton's death. While it was an intelligent and addicting book about WWII, it was not a book about General Patton.

Although it contained some relevant information about Patton's contributions to the American efforts in the war (a large portion of the book was about the Battle of the Bulge and subsequent events involving Patton), the book was simply filled with (in my opinon) too much extraneous information. I felt the authors spent far too much time focusing on extramarital affairs of various world leaders that were entirely irrelevant to Patton's death.

Despite these grievances, I highly recommend you read for yourself. I learned more about WWII than I ever did in my years of history education. Entirely deserving of four stars. ( )
  craftytombombadil | Aug 4, 2020 |
Well written and researched! Highly recommended! ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
It is interesting to revisit a book 4 years after first reading. The authors clearly make the case for a conspiracy. The way the story is told it is certainly at least a strong possibility. But, more than ever, one is struck by the unique nature of the man. Patton was clearly a warrior. As such, he revered in war and is an embarrassment when war is done.

It is difficult to place him in the hierarchy of the warriors. He did wondrous things as a general but his strategic vision is suspect. There is no question but his evaluation of the Russians/Soviets was spot-on but one has to consider how much was real strategic thought and how much was warrior speak.

Perhaps it would be best to simply say he did his duty as he saw his duty and with remarkable success. ( )
  DeaconBernie | Jul 23, 2020 |

Bill O'Reillyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dugard, Martinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thorp, GeneMap Designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have; or ever will have. We're not just going to shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks.
—GEN. GEORGE S. PATTON Jr., June 5, 1944
To my father, William O'Reilly,
who served his country as a naval officer in World War II,
and to my grandfather John O'Reilly'
who served in World War I
The man with forty-five minutes to live cannot defend himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,120,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible