Staked by Kevin Hearne

Staked

by Kevin Hearne

Series: Iron Druid Chronicles (8)

"Iron Druid Atticus O'Sullivan, hero of Kevin Hearne's epic New York Times bestselling urban fantasy series, has a point to make--and then drive into a vampire's heart. When a druid has lived for two thousand years like Atticus, he's bound to run afoul of a few vampires. Make that legions of them. Even his former friend and legal counsel turned out to be a bloodsucking backstabber. Now the toothy troublemakers--led by power-mad pain-in-the-neck Theophilus--have become a huge problem requiring a solution. It's time to make a stand. As always, Atticus wouldn't mind a little backup. But his allies have problems of their own. Ornery archdruid Owen Kennedy is having a wee bit of troll trouble: Turns out when you stiff a troll, it's not water under the bridge. Meanwhile, Granuaile is desperate to free herself of the Norse god Loki's mark and elude his powers of divination--a quest that will bring her face-to-face with several Slavic nightmares. As Atticus globetrots to stop his nemesis Theophilus, the journey leads to Rome. What better place to end an immortal than the Eternal City? But poetic justice won't come without a price: In order to defeat Theophilus, Atticus may have to lose an old friend. Praise for Kevin Hearne and The Iron Druid Chronicles "[The Iron Druid books] are clever, fast paced and a good escape."--Jason Weisberger, Boing Boing "Celtic mythology and an ancient Druid with modern attitude mix it up in the Arizona desert in this witty new fantasy series."--Kelly Meding, author of Chimera "Outrageously fun."--The Plain Dealer, on Hounded "Superb. plenty of quips and zap-pow-bang fighting."--Publishers Weekly (starred review), on Hounded "Exciting. [Atticus] is one of the best main characters currently present in the urban fantasy genre."--Fantasy Book Critic, on Tricked "Funny, razor-sharp. plenty of action, humor, and mythology."--Booklist (starred review), on Shattered"-- "The next book in this urban fantasy series, set in a modern world in which all the gods of every pantheon are alive and well, and starring a smart-mouthed, buttkicking magician, Atticus O'Sullivan: a handsome, tattooed Irishman who looks like a young rock star, but is in actuality a 2,000-year-old Druid with extraordinary magic powers. In Staked, Atticus has his final confrontation with the clan of vampires who have been bent on destryong him--including Leif, his former best friend and now enemy"--… (more)
Recently added bydkaine, Ivyworks, private library, miloh86, doyoudogear, cfh2380, PicosOmega, ichosethis, malexmave

English (27)  German (1)  All languages (28)
Finally read this, the eighth and apparently last book in the Iron Druid Chronicles. It brings all the loose ends to conclusion, with some seeds planted for the future. I enjoyed it, but have a bone to pick. It is told in first person, alternating among the three Druids - Atticus, Granuile, and Owen. This was a little disconcerting, and it was not always immediately obvious about who was telling the story. There's a lot of subplots, also mostly tied up. 3 stars. ( )
  EowynA | Aug 8, 2019 |
The story starts with the three druids doing their own thing. Atticus continuing his war against the vampires, Granuaile working to free her self from Loki and Own starting his own Druid Grove. With them coming together. Another great read, read non-stop.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
This is better than the last couple. It is full of adventure, and some bittersweet moments. I enjoyed the books with Atticus and Granuaile working side by side. It was a little confusing to have the two separate storylines. Yes. They are both on their own journeys in life but she IS because of Atticus. I listened to the audio version intentionally as I love the talent of Luke Daniels but I had a hard time following by way of the voices this time. It was only when the dogs' names were mentioned that I was able to know who the person was. I still loved it and it was FULL of great stuff! ( )
  whybehave2002 | Jun 12, 2019 |
Iron Druid Atticus O'Sullivan has a vampire problem and he has decided to once and for all take care of that by staking the ancient and power crazy Theophilus. And, he will need some allies to help him to that. But, both Owen Kennedy and Granuaile have their own problems. Owen skipped packing custom to a troll many years ago and now he learns that a troll has a very, very long memory. Granuaile is trying to rid herself of the mark that Loki has put on her, but with the help of Odin will she perhaps finally be free of it.

I was a bit worried that I would have a hard time getting into this book since I've only read the first book in this series. But, I was lucky. Before the story started, was it a short examination of the books before this one and that made it a lot easier to read Staked because that way I got the gist from all the books before this one. What I like about this book is the mix of humor, adventure, and mythology. I love that the books are using so many different Gods from different beliefs. It's quite cool to have Odin showing up one minute and then Jupiter.

The book is following Atticus, Owen, and Granuaile separately before they join force towards the end. I remember Granuaile from the first book, and she has come a long way from the wanna-be-druid to the fully trained druid she is now. I found her story quite good, apparently, she has a big problem with Loki and last time she saw him she tried to kill him and he has put a mark on her that she will do anything to get rid of. Also, now that she is a druid will she finally be able to confront her step-father which is the reason she asked Atticus to train her in the first place. Owen is a fellow druid that Atticus knew a long time ago. For me was he a totally new character, but I instantly liked him and his, well let's say problems with adjusting to the modern world. He has agreed to tutor new druids, but vampires and trolls are getting in the way. Atticus meanwhile has finally decided enough is enough when it comes to the vampires and now he will find Theophilus and put and end to all the nasty vampire business. He does have to deal with some stuff before, like for instance stopping a war, rob a bank and deal with a lovesick ghost.

I enjoyed this book from start to finish. The thing with this book is that it's so easygoing to read. It's a lot of fun banter, puns, and a lot of action. And, since I love mythology is it really fun to have all these Gods show up here and there.

I'm now quite eager to go back and start off where I left the series. I feel that knowing what happens here in book 8 doesn't take away the fun of reading the previous books. Quite contrary, reading the short summary of the previous books just made me more excited about the prospect of reading books two and buying the books I don't have.

I recommend this series to those that like to read well-written and funny urban fantasy books with Gods, druids, witches werewolves etc.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley in an exchange for an honest review!

Read this review and others on A Bookaholic Swede ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Great addition to an awesome series! ( )
  autumnturner76 | Oct 4, 2018 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Nigel in Toronto
Elementals are Awesome!

Iron Druid Atticus O'Sullivan, hero of Kevin Hearne's epic New York Times best-selling urban fantasy series, has a point to make - and then drive into a vampire's heart.

When a druid has lived for 2,000 years like Atticus, he's bound to run afoul of a few vampires. Make that legions of them. Even his former friend and legal counsel turned out to be a bloodsucking backstabber.

Now the toothy troublemakers - led by power-mad Theophilus - have become a huge problem requiring a solution. It's time to make a stand. As always, Atticus wouldn't mind a little backup. But his allies have problems of their own.

Ill-tempered archdruid Owen Kennedy is having a wee bit of troll trouble: turns out when you stiff a troll, it's not water under the bridge. Meanwhile, Granuaile is desperate to free herself of the Norse god Loki's mark and elude his powers of divination - a quest that will bring her face to face with several Slavic nightmares.

As Atticus globetrots to stop his nemesis, Theophilus, the journey leads to Rome. What better place to end an immortal than the Eternal City? But poetic justice won't come without a price: in order to defeat Theophilus, Atticus may have to lose an old friend.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,934,777 books! | Top bar: Always visible