The Last American Vampire by Seth…

The Last American Vampire (edition 2015)

by Seth Grahame-Smith (Author)

Member:Bithimala
Title:The Last American Vampire
Authors:Seth Grahame-Smith (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2015), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages

The Last American Vampire by Seth Grahame-Smith

The Last American Vampire is the sequel to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, a book that I haven't read (yet). In this book, we follow Henry Sturges through the centuries. He has seen it all he has seen America throughout the centuries becoming the land it is today. He has traveled to his homeland England for the first time since he became a vampire. He has met many quite famous men like; Bram Stocker, James Irving, Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Nikola Tesla, Teddy Roosevelt, Rasputin, Eliot Ness, FDR, Howard Hughes and Jack Kennedy. He even met Jack the Ripper!

But deep in the shadow is an enemy lurking, someone called A. Grander III, but no matter what Henry does or where he goes he just doesn't seem to be able to find this A. Grander III. This mysterious enemy seems to want to bring chaos into the world.

Yes, there were moments when I thought the book was too long when I read it, it was just so much happening during so many years that I just felt that this could have easily been two books. But in the end, when I was finished and looked back; everything was important, every encounter led in the end to the confrontation between Henry Sturges and A. Grander III. But still it was very much happening and I was left a bit exhausted in the end like one does when a book has had a so strong grip of you that you hardly know what to do when you have finished the book. But what a great read. This review is actually one of the hardest I have had to write because so much happened, but I don't want to give much away and I don't want to write an awful darn long review with me just writing how much I loved this book. I'm sure you all aren't that interested in that...

In the end, I just have to say, I really felt drained after reading this book (pun intended)...

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
I purchased this book from Half Priced Books to read. All opinions are my own. 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 The Last American Vampire by Seth Grahame Smith. Take a 500 year walk through History, but be careful what you think you already know might be seen a bit differently through the eyes if Henry. A fun read with a little bit of history mixed with gory humor and fiction. Packed with action you didn't expect to see coming. Review also posted on Instagram @borenbooks, Library Thing, Go Read, Goodreads/StacieBoren, Amazon, Twitter @jason_stacie and my blog at readsbystacie.com ( )
  SBoren | Sep 18, 2018 |
There's one simple reason I didn't give this book 5 stars: In terms of alternative fiction, I think it's a cop-out when writers throw LOADS of real people into their story.....it seems like they're (often) just grabbing every bit of chicken they can throw into the pot, just to use as filler. This story has: Nikola Tesla, John F. Kennedy, Mark Twain, Adolph Hitler.....on-and-on-and-on-and-on. Mind you, it's a piece of fiction.....and each of those people (for the most part) help to add to the entertainment.....which is no crime, honestly. Sometimes, I get in the mood for just a big, hunk'a dumb fiction! ....and this book delivers in that department! I think most devoted fiction readers will like this one! ( )
  chipper35 | May 11, 2017 |
When I saw this at the library I had to have it. It had been several years since I read ALVH, which I enjoyed thoroughly, and had no idea there was a sequel. Having obtained a B.A. in history this was right up my alley in literature. I love Grahame-Smith's creative take on history and enjoyed Sturges' adventures through the centuries. Most of the books I read are mindless reads that I get through in hours but this one took me a few days because I actually wanted to take in each word on the page. I knew that Abe wasn't dead - I just didn't know when he was coming back. I half expected Jack the Ripper to be Abe but it didn't seem right, I only thought so because of the description of a tall man. The one thing I didn't expect and maybe that makes me the odd man out here is Virginia Dare to be the person Henry was chasing. ( )
  TinaMReid | Apr 23, 2017 |
Lots and lots of historical facts, but I wasn't bored. Seth worked some writing magic to keep me interested in this one. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 145550212X, Hardcover)

New York Times bestselling author Seth Grahame-Smith returns with the follow-up to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter--a sweeping, alternate history of 20th Century America as seen through the eyes of vampire Henry Sturges.

THE LAST AMERICAN VAMPIRE

In Reconstruction-era America, vampire Henry Sturges is searching for renewed purpose in the wake of his friend Abraham Lincoln's shocking death. It will be an expansive journey that will first send him to England for an unexpected encounter with Jack the Ripper, then to New York City for the birth of a new American century, the dawn of the electric era of Tesla and Edison, and the blazing disaster of the 1937 Hindenburg crash. Along the way, Henry goes on the road in a Kerouac-influenced trip as Seth Grahame-Smith ingeniously weaves vampire history through Russia's October Revolution, the First and Second World Wars, and the JFK assassination.

Expansive in scope and serious in execution, THE LAST AMERICAN VAMPIRE is sure to appeal to the passionate readers who made Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter a runaway success.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:36 -0400)

"In Reconstruction American, vampire Henry Sturges is searching for renewed purpose in the wake of his friend Abraham Lincoln's shocking death. Henry's will be an expansive journey that will first send him to England for an unexpected encounter with Jack the Ripper, then to New York City for the birth of a new American century, the dawn of the electric era of Tesla and Edison, and the blazing disaster of the 1937 Hindenburg crash."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,658,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible