Viva Frida (2014)

by Yuyi Morales

Frida Kahlo, one of the world's most famous and unusual artists is revered around the world. Her life was filled with laughter, love, and tragedy, all of which influenced what she painted on her canvases.

This book is a simplistic wording but deep in the pictures. It is a bilingual book about Frida and her art. It goes through everything she is and feels while showing art.

Window book. ( )
  MeaganRodriguez | Apr 6, 2020 |
This book is a short biography of Frida Kahlo. It has few words on the pages but the pictures are beautiful and the text there is is translated into Spanish. It's a great book for students that are wanting to learn Spanish, or students that reads Spanish and is struggle with reading in English. ( )
  BreeannahBarrientos | Apr 6, 2020 |
This book is a biography about artist Frida Kahlo. The author herself is of Mexican heritage and explains that she loves to embrace her culture. When the author was younger, she looked up to Frida Kahlo and the values and beliefs she maintained, as well ad Frida's embracing of her own culture. I love how special this book is because it can be something that children use—either because they can relate to and/or are inspired by Frida Kahlo and Mexican culture, or because they simply would like to learn more about who Frida Kahlo was. This book really encourages children to embrace their culture and background, and to even be open to learn more about other important individuals who have had positive impacts on our communities. In this book being a biography, there is no central messag—it simply outlines the life of the wonderful Frida Kahlo, explaining some of her achievements and challenges as well. I also categorized this book as being an international book, due to its mentioning of Mexican culture. It is really cute and has many bright and beautiful illustrations. ( )
  gthomp7 | Mar 27, 2020 |
Holy cow. This book is a force, and I'm having trouble articulating my thoughts about it. The mixed-media artwork is phenomenal. The details of the puppets, the rich textures and colors, all combined in a way that brings out the best of traditional art and digital manipulation. I rarely like books that have the text in more than one language, but this one works. The poem is simple and beautiful, and I read it to myself in both languages, despite the fact that I only have a Sesame-Street understanding of Spanish. I found that the poem informed my interpretation of the artwork, helping me to understand what was going on. I agree with my friend Allison, that this is a book about creativity and art and life as experienced by Frida, not a biography. You don't have to know about Frida to read this, but you will likely be inspired to find out more. I've never felt that I understood Frida's art, but Yuyi's afterword makes me want to try again. ( )
  amandabock | Dec 10, 2019 |
Frida Kahlo is a very famous Mexican painter that we all have come to love. Viva Frida is a bilingual book that shows the life of Frida and how she came to be. Although this book is intended for K-3rd grade, I personally feel as though any student would benefit from being this book. ( )
  bxr032 | Nov 14, 2019 |
Para las aladas. For the winged ones.
Sita, Ana, Solecito, Meche, Moni, Eloina, Eli, y Magy
Soy.
I am.

Via spare text, examines Kahlo's creative process.
A beautiful picture book that includes English and Spanish to tell a simple story of Frida Kahlo

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,060,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible