Tehran Noir (Akashic Noir) by Salar Abdoh

Tehran Noir (Akashic Noir)

by Salar Abdoh (Editor)

Other authors: Salar Abdoh (Contributor), Hossein Abkenar (Contributor), Javad Afhami (Contributor), Aida Moradi Ahani (Contributor), Azardokht Bahrami (Contributor)10 more, Lily Farhadpour (Contributor), Farhaad Heidari Gooran (Contributor), Danial Haghighi (Contributor), Yourik Karim-Masihi (Contributor), Vali Khalili (Contributor), Mahsa Mohebali (Contributor), Gina B. Nahai (Contributor), Majed Neisi (Contributor), Sima Saeedi (Contributor), Mahak Taheri (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

As people who follow me know, I am very into the Akashic Noir series of books. This is my fifth or sixth review of a book in the series. The series focuses on a city or country and every story is written by a different author. I can’t recommend the series highky enough.

Tehran Noir was one of the best I have read so far. One of my the main reasons I enjoyed it so thoroughly is because it gives readers and alternate picture of Tehran from the people who live there. And everything you think you know about that city and Iran, you should pretty much toss out.

The book is divided into four parts: The Crime Pages, When a War’s Not Over, Proper Burial and The Executioners Song. Every story was strong and every one can stand on its own but I did have my favorites.

From The Crime Pages, I loved “Fear Is the Best Keeper of Secrets” by Rey. It is kind of an underworld story and it has a cast of characters that are so well drawn, you can imagine it as a movie. Great stuff.

In the next section, I loved “The Whitest Set of Teeth in Tehran” by Salar Abdoh. I just could not put the book down while I read that story. All of the stories in part two reflect life where war is the primary occupation of most people and how difficult it is to get to a peaceful place.

If you think women do not have power in Iran, I can disabuse you of that idea just by reading this book. They are leading a silent revolution and my favorite story in the whole book was “My Own Marble Jesus” by Mahsa Mohebali. That story was simply brilliant and spoke to the issues of all kinds of minorities in a country run by religion. So powerful and just a wonderful piece.

My second favorite was “The Restlessness of a Serial Killer at the Finish Line” by Shush. It was quite chilling and also very interesting. It is about death and it does have both a grim and grisly quality but I can highly recommend it.

The final section piece that I enjoyed was written set in what many in the Iranian community call Tehrangeles, which is Los Angeles. It is written from the point of view of an expat. Very entertaining.

Even with my favorites, there is really not a bad story in the bunch. I highly recommend this book. It provides a glimpse into a life and culture that too often is damned by slanted news media portrayals. Tehran is more than the news. ( )
  ozzie65 | Jan 24, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read several of the Noir series, and Tehran is one of my favorite. It really gave me an idea of the beauty and darkness of the city, and some of the lives of the Iranians. The stories were by far some of the harshest to read in the Noir series, but it felt as though the writers were coming from a place as difficult and traumatic as the original writers of the first wave of noir fiction, survivors of the first world war. The stories were nicely varied in the authors and styles. I would highly recommmend Tehran Noir for fans of detective and pulp fiction. ( )
  saraswati27 | Mar 9, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ok... I am a sucker for short story collections. I found Tehran Noir to be another solid installment in the Noir setting. I enjoyed the sneak peak into another culture and writing scene. While I did not have a specific favorite story, I found that overall, I would read again, which is normally a key to whether I enjoyed the reading experience or more importantly enjoyed the book as a whole. I will update my review I reread the stories. ( )
  RobFow | Feb 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’m starting to get the idea that modern noir is not my cup of tea. A lot of these stories were uncomfortably gritty and overly violent for my taste. I guess that proves the stories were well done? Although, I hate to say it, I did think that the stories that were written in English were stronger and the writing was superior to the ones that were translated.

This is the second collection I’ve read from the Akashic Noir series and I am continued to be impressed by the ability of this series to transport me to a place and culture I’m unfamiliar with. In the case of this book, and Haiti Noir, I can say that I am glad that the transportation is limited to the literary realm. It is noir after all! ( )
  aliciamay | Jul 31, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
These are short stories by Iranian writers showing the noir side – the dark underbelly – of Tehran.

There are stories of crime, stories of people living with the scars and displacement of war, stories of living in a totalitarian state closely watched by state sponsored police as well as the morality police.

Some of them were too dark and disturbing for my taste – as examples, the story of a woman stoned to death, and another about a revenge-seeking pedophilic mullah.

If one can learn a bit about the middle by reading the extremes, I do feel I learned a bit about the lives and thoughts of Iranian people. Although this is a collection from a variety of authors, I thought all were well written, and that the translations from Farsi were well done.

This is one of a series by this publisher, featuring noir stories from cities around the world and is the first I have read in this series. ( )
  streamsong | Mar 6, 2015 |

Neisi, MajedContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Saeedi, SimaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Taheri, MahakContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Salar Abdoh's book Tehran Noir was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,080,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible