The Girl Who Could Not Dream by Sarah Beth…

The Girl Who Could Not Dream (edition 2017)

by Sarah Beth Durst (Author)

"Sophie's parents run a secret shop where dreams are bought and sold. When Sophie dreams, her dreams become real, so she is forbidden to have any. Sinister events are set in motion when she is accidentally seen by one of her parents' customers, and it's up to Sophie to save her family"--
Member:StephanyLo
Title:The Girl Who Could Not Dream
Authors:Sarah Beth Durst (Author)
Info:Clarion Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages

Work Information

The Girl Who Could Not Dream by Sarah Beth Durst

I don't know who picked the coverart but they ought to be fired. It looks like it belongs on an infantile picture book about a middle-aged woman with a purse, her surly teenage offspring and a furry, streamer-wearing chinese dragon. I had a grear deal of difficulty taking this book seriously as a result.

That being said, this book got better as it went along and by the end, was pretty awesome. Monster is a totally charming character and so wonderfully drawn that all the other characters seem flat and lifeless (like watching Ellen Page on Trailer Park Boys, it's very discordant.) The plot was innovative with plenty of twists and the pacing fairly even once the action started. Overall, a good read. If you can get past the cover.

Many thanks the Houghton Mifflin for the ARC. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for a free copy of The Girl Who Could Not Dream!

Probably the most accurate review I could give of this book would consist of me shoving a copy at you while babbling somewhat incoherent variations on "READ THIS NOW."

But since that is probably an unhelpful review, I will try to restrain myself.

The Girl Who Could Not Dream follows Sophie, whose parents own a book and dream shop. They harvest dreams from dreamcatchers, distill them into liquid form, and then sell them. Drink one of those dreams, and you experience it for yourself. When her parents vanish, she teams up with some new friends (and an old friend -- a monster named Monster who she brought to life from someone's dream) to get them back.

And that premise? Is awesome. If I had this book when I was eleven, it would have terrified and enthralled me in equal measure.

And the characters? Are even better.

First, you have the main character, Sophie. Close to the beginning of the book, her parents threaten to take away her book privileges, and that was the moment that I knew we'd get along swimmingly. She's socially awkward and feels like a fish out of water. Her best friend/guardian/weird pet is Monster, who is just so darn loveable... Think Khoshekh from Night Vale, but more friendly and speaking like a professor. There's Ethan, who is adorable, and steady, and brave.

And, of course, because this is a book about dreams, you have a whole host of dream creatures. Some of them are terrifying, some of them are almost over-the-top ridiculous (disco ball pony, anyone?), but Durst makes it work. She never pushes things too far.

One complaint: I wish the book had gotten into the history of dreamcatchers as something the Ojibwe people created. I think the book hinted at this (especially through the presence of the spider woman and her role in protecting the main characters) but I wish it had been more obvious.

But overall? The Girl Who Could Not Dream is one heck of a ride, and I was sorry to see it end. If you like middle grade fantasy books, you should read it. Now. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
THE GIRL WHO COULD NOT DREAM by Sarah Beth Durst is an engaging fantasy for intermediate readers. The audio version of this story keeps listeners engaged from beginning to end. The secret business hidden in the bookstore adds to the appeal of this fast-paced fantasy adventure. ( )
  eduscapes | Oct 7, 2017 |
Imagine catching dreams, distilling them, pouring them into bottles and selling them to people searching for certain types of dreams. This is what Sophie’s parents do somewhat secretly in the lower level of their bookstore. Sophie, however, is not allowed to dream because when she does her dreams become real. Her octopus-like pet, Monster, came into her life this way at age six when curiosity got the better of her and she chugged down a dream. While searching for a cupcake for Monster, Sophie is inadvertently seen by Mr. Nightmare, a customer in her parents' dream store. Soon after this, her parents disappear, their dream store is trashed and dreams are stolen, leaving Sophie to try to figure out what’s going on, catch the perpetrator and rescue her parents. Imaginative and fun, this adventurous tween fantasy will be thoroughly enjoyed by all ages.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This was a delightful, richly imaginative fantasy novel for middle-aged primary school students. Filled with flying ponies, black furry monsters, pink ninja bunnies, rainbows, cupcakes, dream catches and more. Sophie was an excellent character - intelligent, lonely and awkward, which many pre-teen girls could relate to. However, my favourite character was her very cute, furry, pet monster, Monster. He was gorgeous - zany, loyal and fiercely protective of Sophie.

I was surprised how creepy this book was at times, considering the target audience. However, The Girl Who Could Not Dream was a fun, heart-warming read with lots of adventure, suspense and magic, which will keep readers engrossed to the very end. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Aug 18, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sarah Beth Durst's book The Girl Who Could Not Dream was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Sarah Beth Durst is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,137,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible