The Secrets of Midwives

The Secrets of Midwives (2015)

Three generations of women. Secrets in the present and from the past. A captivating tale of life, loss, and love... Neva Bradley, a third-generation midwife, is determined to keep the details surrounding her own pregnancy - including the identity of the baby's father - hidden from her family and co-workers for as long as possible. Her mother, Grace, finds it impossible to let this secret rest. The more Grace prods, the tighter Neva holds to her story, and the more the lifelong differences between private, quiet Neva and open, gregarious Grace strain their relationship. For Floss, Neva's grandmother and a retired midwife, Neva's situation thrusts her back sixty years in time to a secret that eerily mirrors her granddaughter's - one which, if revealed, will have life-changing consequences for them all. As Neva's pregnancy progresses and speculation makes it harder and harder to conceal the truth, Floss wonders if hiding her own truth is ultimately more harmful than telling it. Will these women reveal their secrets and deal with the inevitable consequences? Or are some secrets best kept hidden?… (more)
Member:CCJones72
Title:The Secrets of Midwives
Authors:
Info:

The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth (2015)

Midwives by Chris Bohjalian (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Readers who enjoy the BBC series Call the Midwife will likely enjoy the details of midwifery found in these moving novels. But where Midwives explores controversial topics, The Secrets of Midwives concentrates more on family relationships.… (more)

I liked this, and there were parallels with other SH books, but I wasn’t as keen on Neva or Grace as characters as I was on other SH characters. I think I found them a little wishy-washy. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy their stories, more that if I met them I wouldn’t choose to maintain a friendship. Floss was great though, I liked her. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
i bought this Gem at a book sale in my hometown. i am so thrilled i did. it has fast become on of my favorites. it has been added to my ever growing stack of beloved books. Thank you Mrs. Hepworth, for such a wonderful treat! ( )
  msitorius | Oct 9, 2019 |
I had the pleasure and honor of receiving and reading an advance reader's edition won from a Goodreads giveaway.

I love this book! Maybe it is the former labor and delivery nurse in me. Maybe because it is an excellent book--a must read.

This is a book that has me asking, just what about it do I love so much? I'm not sure, it's a lot of things. The writing is smooth, easy to read. The story lines first person, which pull you in. Many moments had me laughing out loud. Their are hints of attraction, an underlying question, a mysterious past. It was just truly so good.

This book is written first person POV from three characters. We are alternating between the main character, Neva, and her mother and Grandmother. I thought it would be confusing keeping them all apart, occasionally it was, but all their story-lines are so interesting, I just swallowed the confusion once I really got to know the characters. I devoured the book. My attempts to sleep were wasted, I found myself up in the middle of the night finishing it.

I guess I could just really related to characters that have a secret. Characters that want control in their lives. Along with the struggles the characters are faced with, the reader also reads a couple of tender deliveries from all three generations of midwives. I do love a good delivery story.

In all, Neva and Patrick were my favorite people and favorite story line. Can you say cross between Call the Midwives and Grey's Anatomy. Oh my gosh, it's that good. And what made it even better for me, the instant I was introduced to Patrick, Neva's friend that occasionally crashes on the couch, I could not get the picture of McSteamy out of my head. Oh, picturing him as Sloan . . . He fit the personality, all hard on the exterior, but a softy at heart.

I found Gran's mysterious story line the most intriguing. Her amazing flashbacks came right from the 1950's as she relieved her past choices and how they would affect her current family when the truth was finally told. I will admit, I thought I had her story pegged. I was wrong. But it turned out better than I could have imagined.

This book had one sex scene lasting 2/3 of a page and easily avoidable without taking away from the read for readers that stir clear of those things. And a couple of swear words which surprisingly only appeared in one spot of the book as well.

LisaRector | Sep 28, 2017 |
Are you a fan of "Call the Midwives" and are looking for something similar? Or are you just interested in novels with strong female characters? This novel centers around three generations of midwives, each with a startling secret that will alter their lives and the lives of their families. When Neva, a third generation midwife learns she's pregnant, she desperately hides the identification of the father, while her grandmother harbors a shocking secret of her own. Heartwarming, moving, and thoughtful, this is a fantastic read.

Sarah M. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I received a free copy of this book to discuss on BookBrowse. It dealt with family secrets and the harm that they can do. I enjoyed it very much. ( )
  Deelightful | Jul 18, 2016 |
For mothers and babies everywhere, especially my own
I suppose you could say I was born to be a midwife.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,265,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible