Death and the Joyful Woman (1961)

by Ellis Peters

Series: Felse Investigations (2)

One of the George Felse mysteries. Det Sgt Felse is called in to investigate a murder at a new roadhouse, once a beautiful old inn known as The Joyful Woman. There is no shortage of suspects, but the arrest of Kitty Norris leads Felse's young son, who is convinced she is innocent, into danger.

Mysteries that involve the detective's family are tricky, and even though this starts off from the son's viewpoint and and involvement with a suspect, it doesn't break free of the tricky thorny aspect. Also the sweetly managing women gag me and all the young tender manhood garbage. ( )
  quondame | Oct 17, 2019 |
An unpleasant promoter turns a ice old house into a pony pub called The Jolly Barmaid. Then he is murdered. Felse has a suspect but his young son believes she is innocent. ( )
  antiquary | Sep 20, 2015 |
In some ways I enjoyed Peters' Inspector Felse stories (contemporary to the time they were written) even more than the Cadfael series. This one focuses a lot on Felse's son Dominic and their relationship, but is no less a good mystery for that. ( )
  auntieknickers | Aug 8, 2014 |
Nice characters. I liked the early twist that turned a murder mystery convention on its head. ( )
  BonnieJune54 | May 22, 2012 |
This is the first Ellis Peters book I've read that wasn't a Cadfael story... I was amazed to see that she doesn't ALWAYS write in that old language style! Well written, but she puts too much into the being-in-love parts, in my opinion. Good story, but the characterization doesn't come through for me as much as the Cadfael books. Nor do I find as much historical atmosphere (it takes awhile to figure out the period).

Fascinating part about the sign for the pub! ( )
  crazycathie | Aug 20, 2011 |

Peters, Ellisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fišer, JaroslavIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Housky, MiroslavaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maršák, RichardCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Outratová, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Poš, PetrCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Prebble, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The first time Dominic Felse saw Kitty Norris she was dancing barefoot along the broad rail of the terrace at the Boat Club, in a cloud of iris-coloured nylon, a silver sandal dangling from either hand.

Det Sgt Felse is called in to investigate a murder at a new roadhouse, once a beautiful old inn known as "The Joyful Woman". There is no shortage of suspects, but the arrest of Kitty Norris leads Felse's young son, who is convinced she is innocent, into danger

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,521,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible