As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust: A Flavia…

As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust: A Flavia de Luce Novel

by Alan Bradley

Series: Flavia de Luce (7)

Goodbye, Ms. Chips by Dorothy Cannell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Flavia de Luce finds suspicious activities at her new Canadian school in As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust, while Ellie Haskell investigates at her alma mater in Goodbye, Ms. Chips. Both humor and nostalgia characterize these engaging boarding-school mysteries.… (more)

I do believe I've found a new young heroine to add to my shelf of favorites! When I saw the synopsis for As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust I was instantly smitten. Stories where young ladies do amazing things make me smile. Plus, I love a good mystery. What I didn't know, was that this book is the 7th in a series. Generally that would put me off, but I quickly realized that it didn't matter much. There were times I wished for more information, but overall I fell completely in love. I can't wait to go back and start from the beginning!

Flavia de Luce is a one of a kind character. A young girl with a deep passion for science, and an equal obsession with solving mysteries! Since I didn't have much back story on Flavia, it was like a puzzle to put together her personality. I couldn't have been happier. When a body came tumbling out of the fireplace in her room and, rather than scream, she immediately started cataloging items, I was thrilled. What a brave girl! Things only got better from there. Flavia is witty, brilliant and a ton of fun to follow.

So why the four stars? Mainly, this book went a tiny bit off the rails for me at the ending. I was willing to put aside a lot of questions, since I haven't started from the beginning of this tale. However the ending felt a little confusing. There is so much unknown. I am eager to find out what is going on with the secret society mentioned, and I can't wait to meet Flavia's family.

If you have the chance to listen to this on audio, please do! It's fabulous. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Flavia continues to enchant as she solves yet another murder. This time she is in Canada attending a boarding school and uncovers a murder which happened a few years back. Every tale is better than the last! ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Very disappointed in this newest addition to the Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley. Flavia has been sent off to study at Miss Bodycote's School in Canada, supposedly to begin her training for the super-secret organization, the Nide, which is, apparently, a family tradition. The Flavia we meet here is a pale shadow of the quirky, self-assured, clever girl barreling around Bishop's Lacey and Buckshaw on the ever-faithful Gladys. This Flavia is confused, restrained, and unsure of herself which is, I suppose, how any 12 year old suddenly sent thousands of miles away from home would behave. I felt the narrative here lacked the cleverness and wit of previous stories, and I certainly missed the relationships between Flavia and the Bishop's Lacey crew, especially Dogger. Bradley introduced many characters here but hasn't fleshed them out well enough - so much so that when a big reveal happens near the end, I had to go back and look up the person involved! Like Flavia, I felt put out and let down by the end, asking myself why we had to go through this ridiculous exercise of traveling to Canada only to be sent home at the end anyway. ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
I'm always sad to finish a Flavia de Luce novel, and this one is no different. They are so much fun, and I'd like it if they could go on forever. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
Not my favorite Flavia novel. It was cute and I enjoyed the chemistry references (as always), but I missed all the regulars from Buckshaw. I hope to learn more about the Nide in subsequent books and I look forward to her return home! ( )
  KristinaSimon | Nov 24, 2018 |

Alan Bradleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Entwistle, JayneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heikinheimo, MaijaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fear no more the heat o' the sun, Nor the furious winter's rages; Thou thy worldly task hast done, Home art gone, and ta'en thy wages: Golden lads and girls all must, as chimney sweepers, come to dust. (William Shakespeare, "Cymbeline (IV.ii) "
To Shirley, with love and gratitude
If you're anything like me, you adore rot.
“Ghosts are most often seen by girls, and certain young men with an iron deficiency.”

"Flavia rules! In this New York Times bestselling series of enchanting mysteries, youthful chemist and aspiring detective Flavia de Luce once again brings her knowledge of poisons and her indefatigable spirit to solve dastardly crimes -- but this time, she leaves behind her beloved English countryside, and takes her sleuthing prowess to the unexpectedly unsavory world of Canadian boarding schools!"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,457,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible