Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands (2014)

by Katherine Roy

"An up close look at the ocean's most fearsome and famous predator and the scientists who study them--just twenty-six miles from the Golden Gate Bridge"--

This book was an indulgent post-graduation gift to myself. The employees at the independent bookstore squealed jealously when I went through the checkout line. It's a serious delight and a real appetizer to Shark Week in a mere few months. Ms. Roy is to be commended for merging science, biology, and artistry in this wonderfully informative book. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
The drawings in this book are staggering. Seeing a great white in this format is really awesome. Highly recommended, though seal-fanciers may find the book somewhat distressing.
  ghendel | Nov 28, 2018 |
This book gives information on the Great White Sharks off the coast of San Francisco, how they are specially designed to catch their prey, their migratory behaviors, and other characteristics. The book also shares the methods scientists use to observe and study the Great Whites. It concludes by sharing that these sharks are important contributors to their ecosystem and so we must be careful when disrupting their habitat. ( )
  mhathaway16 | Oct 24, 2018 |
This book is a great informational book about sharks. It goes into a lot of detail about how sharks move, how they survive, and how they hunt.
USE: I would use this in a lesson about animals or in a lesson about the ocean. ( )
  jasminenesbitt1 | Oct 19, 2018 |
I am fascinated by sharks so I really enjoyed reading this book and admiring the intense, vivid images. This book will easily attract shark lovers' attention and keep them engaged while reading the rich content that explains and dig deeper into the great white sharks' fierce hunting skills. The author vividly recreates a day in the life of a shark and reveals why sharks are essential to our ecosystem and deserve our protection. I'd say this book is best for grades 2-5 because of the intense, gory images throughout. Some students may fear sharks and be uninterested in this topic so it would be important to keep that in mind before deciding to read aloud this book. I'd probably have it in my library so students who were more interested and fascinated by great whites could have the opportunity to explore them more.
  mcortner15 | Sep 1, 2018 |
Every September the great white sharks return to San Francisco.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,146,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible