Lumberjanes Vol. 1: Beware The Kitten Holy…

Lumberjanes Vol. 1: Beware The Kitten Holy

by Noelle Stevenson, Brooke A. Allen (Illustrator), Grace Ellis, Shannon Watters (Editor)

Other authors: Aubrey Aiese (Letterer), Maarta Laiho (Colorist), Dafna Pleban (Editor)

Series: Lumberjanes (1-4)

Recently added byAliceaP, ruthrnn, private library, kkclib, elle_em, EmelieBurl, Jonnyslibrary, cobwebmoth
    The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol. 1: Squirrel Power by Ryan North (Anonymous user)
    Bad Machinery Volume 1: The Case of the Team Spirit by John Allison (Anonymous user)
    Camp So-And-So by Mary McCoy (norabelle414)
    norabelle414: Smart, capable girls battle the supernatural at summer camp

English (80)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (82)
I spent a lot of the book trying to figure out a) which character _this_ one was (I was literally saying to myself, this is the tomboy, this is the girly girl, this is...) and b) what the heck was going on. Magic...maybe? Or Scooby-doo style fakery...running into real magic? or...I'm still very confused, and really not interested in reading any more of this. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Apr 4, 2019 |
Funnay! ( )
  oddogre | Mar 22, 2019 |
This is the first book in the Lumberjanes series; there are ten books in this series right now. This was a very well done graphic novel that I enjoyed a ton. I loved the fantasy, friendship, adventure and humor in this book.

This graphic novel introduces us to a unique group of young women at camp who have a knack for getting into trouble. It’s not just any type of trouble either, they continuously run into bizarre creatures and unexpected adventures. They need to discover the mystery of what is going on here!

The drawing is colorful, well done, and easy to follow. I enjoyed it a lot. This was a hugely entertaining book that was lots of fun to read and laugh-out loud funny while still having a lot of heart.

Overall I loved this first graphic novel and plan on continuing with the series! I would recommend to those who enjoy humorous fantasy set in a contemporary setting. ( )
  krau0098 | Jan 11, 2019 |
i love noelle stevenson so much and i love this concept and the characters soso much but honestly the writing here was p weak?? and not due to necessary exposition or gaining familiarity w the chars, that all goes smoothly

but the plotting and a lot of the dialogue and the way transitions are framed is all really messy; def not as polished as nimona, which was a mess--but a beautiful mess! and the messiness was worked into the very concept! this comes off more as rushed, confused or conflicted; hoping the next issues r better ( )
  alexanme | Dec 9, 2018 |
Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy introduces us to the five butt-kicking best friends that are residing in cabin Roanoke for the summer at Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady Types. April, Jo, Mal, Molly, & Ripley have noticed some pretty strange goings-on this year at camp and, to the perpetual annoyance of their camp counselor, Jen, they're going to get to the bottom of it all while they have each other's backs, earn some badges, and eat a lot of cookies.

Unfortunately, Lumberjanes fell flat for me.

I was slightly wary of purchasing this volume. I'm not as familiar with comics as I'd like to be and I was worried that the rave reviews I'd seen on and off throughout the past year had built up my expectations to unconquerable heights. However, my local library leans more towards westerns than comics so I ended up with this and [book:Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal|20898019] in my bag on a recent book-buying fix, eager to stoke a new interest. It was also the perfect comic to check off one of Book Riot's 2017 Read Harder Challenge tasks with (task #6: read an all-ages comic).

Further bolstering those expectations enthroned at unconquerable heights, I'd previously read [book:Nimona|19351043] and thought Lumberjanes would offer something similar. This was just too ho-hum for me to feel invested. The artwork is okay but the layout feels off in places. It's nice to see some positive female friendships in a comic, especially between younger girls, but the plot feels like a disconnected jumble with no real build from one development to the next. Similarly, it's nice to see more inclusion in a group of main characters but this doesn't excuse a lacking plot either.

It's a quick read but not a volume I would recommend purchasing. It feels more like something to read online. ( )
  lamotamant | Nov 21, 2018 |

Newman, ScottDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, TessaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tingdahl, MelanieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zuke, LaurenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mal, Molly, what in the Joan Jett are you doing?!

Best friends Jo, April, Mal, Molly, and Ripley spend a fun summer at Lumberjane scout camp where they encounter yetis, three-eyed wolves, and giant falcons while solving a mystery that holds the fate of the world in the balance.

"Friendship to the max! At Miss Quinzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's camp for hardcore lady-types, things are not what they seem. Three-eyed foxes. Secret caves. Anagrams. Luckily, Jo, April, Mal, Molly and Ripley are five rad, butt-kicking best pals determined to have an awesome summer together-- and they're not gonna let a magical quest or an array of supernatural critters get in their way!" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,155,917 books! | Top bar: Always visible