Silver Screen Fiend: Learning About Life…

Silver Screen Fiend: Learning About Life from an Addiction to Film (edition 2015)

by Patton Oswalt (Author)

"Between 1995 and 1999, Patton Oswalt lived with an unshakable addiction. It wasn't drugs, alcohol or sex: it was film. After moving to L.A., Oswalt became a huge film buff (or as he calls it, a sprocket fiend), absorbing classics, cult hits, and new releases at the New Beverly Cinema. Silver screen celluloid became Patton's life schoolbook, informing his notion of acting, writing, comedy, and relationships. Set in the nascent days of L.A.'s alternative comedy scene, Oswalt's memoir chronicles his journey from fledgling stand-up comedian to self-assured sitcom actor, with the colorful New Beverly collective and a cast of now-notable young comedians supporting him all along the way"--… (more)
Member:HobbyHorse33
Title:Silver Screen Fiend: Learning About Life from an Addiction to Film
Authors:Patton Oswalt (Author)
Info:Scribner (2015), Edition: 1st, 240 pages

Silver Screen Fiend: Learning About Life from an Addiction to Film by Patton Oswalt

This is contractual obligation kinda stuff, but he's engaging enough that it doesn't really matter. A little gossipy but mostly kind rather than cruel. This was a perfect read for relaxing around the pool. Inconsequential fluff. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
This book was rad. ( )
  bibliosk8er | Aug 16, 2018 |
I felt like this book was a love letter to film and an apology to Patton Oswalt's friends, family and colleagues who put up with him in his 20s. If you wish you could write letters to all those you ran over and disregarded at some point early in your life, then you will enjoy this book - even if you are not a true film fanatic. Beautifully written and lovingly performed by Oswalt (the audiobook). Short and sweet. ( )
  ouroborosangel | May 22, 2018 |
I have loved movies, since I was a kid, witnessing my own golden era of film, late 60s to mid-70s, in all it's celluloid glory. In my early thirties, thanks to a few film buff friends, I decided to get more serious about film, by putting myself through my own little film school, in the late 80s and through the 90s, by watching hundreds of movies, from every niche and every era. I absorbed and studied movies, through the silent years, the great Warner Brothers films of the 30s, Capra, Ford, Hitchcock, Kazan, film noir and then onto foreign film, Bergman, Truffaut, Kurosawa and Fellini, which opened so many decades of beauty and wonder. All that said, I can really relate to Silver Screen Fiend.
Starting in '95 and ending in '99, Patton Oswalt became addicted to film, obsessively watching hundreds of films and this coincided with his own rise in comedy, which he credits as influencing his own creative drive to succeed.
I did not know Oswalt, through his comedy, (I did not watch much stand-up during this time. I must have been busy raising a family and watching movies) but I had recognized him through his film work.
This is a solid memoir. Smart and funny and the audio with Patton narrating is a joy to hear. ( )
1 vote msf59 | Dec 15, 2017 |
Except for the last third of the book, I enjoyed this very much. ( )
  br77rino | Oct 13, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,630,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible