Vinland Saga 4 by Makoto Yukimura

Vinland Saga 4 (edition 2014)

by Makoto Yukimura (Author)

Member:Nyanatama
Title:Vinland Saga 4
Authors:Makoto Yukimura (Author)
Info:Kodansha Comics (2014), 432 pages
Collections:Translated Manga

Vinland Saga, Omnibus 4: A King is Born by Makoto Yukimura

Each volume draws me in further. It's truly fantastic. Epic historical drama with stunningly detailed art and visceral violence. I cannot wait to get my hands on the next installment. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |
Prince Canute has finally had his epiphany and has truly taken oven the reins from his former protectors - he wants his crown and will stop at nothing to get it. In the meantime, Thorfinn watches to see how events unfold so that he can get his revenge upon Askeladd, but things go awry. This is an excellent installment when events keep turning the story around in new unexpected ways. Although I'm not entirely clear on how Thorfinn ends up at the farm, his character keeps growing, or rather, is given a chance to grow, finally, after having been in a state arrested development for so long while awaiting an opportunity to avenge his father's death. It's quite a brave move by the author to remove Thorfinn from the "action," but still keep his life eventful. Great series full of characters that keep the reader highly invested in their fates. ( )
  -Eva- | Mar 5, 2016 |
This is the fourth volume in the Vinland Saga. The fifth volume just published in the US, with the sixth volume set to publish in January 2015. This was the best book yet in this series. I really really enjoyed it. The story takes some pivotal turns.

Prince Canute has decided to claim his throne and he will do whatever he has to to do so. Thorfinn, Askeladd, and Thorkill have all thrown in their lot with Prince Canute as Prince Canute journeys to face his father. This book continues the story of the Danish invasion of England and the more personal story of Thorfinn’s vendetta against Askeladd.

This continues to be one of my favorite manga series, it is just such high quality and so well done. The illustration is absolutely stunning and full of wonderful detail.

This was one of the most intense and, at times, most hilarious books in this manga series. As with previous books there is a lot of action and fighting. There is also a lot of swearing, rape, gruesome war scenes, etc...so I would recommend for adults only.

Askeladd and Thorfinn have a strange relationship. They both seem to need each other but Thorfinn also hates Askeladd, you see this explored more in this book than in any other. I loved that Thorkill was in the book more, he is such a jerk but also really funny...he had me laughing out loud a number of times.

This book really is the close of one major storyline and the start of the next. I am incredibly curious to see where this story goes.

Overall I loved this book; it was the best in this series so far. The illustration is phenomenal and Yukimura does such a wonderful job creating an epic and intricate plot that is never hard to follow. Yukimura has also done an excellent job creating characters we actually care about. Highly recommended to all manga fans, this is an exceptional historical manga. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 26, 2014 |
Outstanding! I continue to say the same things volume after volume with this series. It is one of my highlights when a new volume is released. The art is just of such a high calibre that it is almost incomparable in manga circles: detailed, intricate, realistic, gorgeous. This is a pivotal book in the series with some plot conclusions and some turning points. I won't go into any details here as this is a major point in the story's plot but I will say there are some surprising deaths! The plot so far has been focused solely on two things, the Danish invasion of England and Thorfinn's revenge for his father's death. This was a fast-paced and exciting read. The ending leaves me entirely intrigued upon what direction the plot will now concentrate from this point on. A top-notch manga series for the serious reader. ( )
  ElizaJane | Aug 26, 2014 |
Makoto Yukimura's award-winning Vinland Saga has quickly become one of the manga releases that I most look forward to each time a new volume is published every few months. The series is thoroughly researched historical fiction with fantastic artwork and incredibly engaging story and characters. I was happy when Kodansha Comics picked up the license, but as the series gets better and better with each passing volume my excitement for the manga grows along with it. Kodansha's edition of Vinland Saga was the publisher's first foray into a deluxe release. Each omnibus collects two of the original volumes, retaining the color pages, in a nice hardcover format. Vinland Saga, Omnibus 4, published by Kodansha in 2014, contains the seventh and eighth volumes of the Japanese edition of the series, both of which were released in 2009. The fourth omnibus, like the third, also includes an exclusive question and answer segment with Yukimura about the series which I've really been enjoying.

Defying all expectations, Prince Canute has survived his father's attempt to have him killed in battle and has taken his destiny into his own hands. At one point a gentle young man considered weak by the Viking mercenaries and soldiers, Canute is now resolved to wrest the crown from his father, King Sweyn. He is prepared to use force and any other means necessary in order to gain control of the realm. This change of heart has earned Canute an impressive array of followers who are willing to fight and die for him as he challenges Denmark's king. Thorkell and his men are known and respected as great warriors to be feared on the battlefield. Most of Askeladd's troop has been slain, but Askeladd himself is a skilled fighter with an even greater talent for strategy and manipulation. The aid of both men will give Canute distinct advantages in the approaching confrontation, but its conclusion is far from certain. Sweyn has strong men who are loyal to him as well in addition to the recognized power to rule over the masses. He isn't about to let the throne slip away so easily.

I continue to be extremely impressed by the characterization in Vinland Saga. The main characters and even the supporting cast all have a tremendous amount of depth. They are complex, with both human failings and strengths, well-developed personalities, and believable motivations. Nothing is as simple as good or bad. Instead the characters are portrayed as real people with complicated pasts that have made them who they are. Up until this point Sweyn has been somewhat of an enigma, a dark shadow hanging over Canute and the territories which he has conquered. But in Vinland Saga, Omnibus 4 he, too, is revealed to be much more nuanced of a character than when he was first introduced. Much like Canute, Sweyn's actions are informed and driven by his beliefs and his desire to create a prosperous realm. He is a formidable ruler with significant influence, but he is also a man and a tired one at that. Kingship has taken its toll. Sweyn also serves as an example showing that even a person with righteous intentions can become corrupt, a lesson that Canute would do well to take to heart.

Compared to previous installments of Vinland Saga, the fourth omnibus in the series focuses less on all-out battle and more on the political strategies and maneuverings going on behind the scenes. However, the intensity of the series remains and when fights do break out they make an impact. They are incredibly bold and dynamic. Yukimura's action scenes are epic and extremely well choreographed, but what makes them so effective is the emotional investment of the characters. Askeladd in particular is especially compelling. He has been able to channel his hatred and desire for revenge, controlling those around him with immense skill, but it hasn't been without personal sacrifice. Askeladd himself is also the target of revenge--Thorfinn holds him responsible for the death of his father. Thorfinn and Askeladd's relationship is extraordinarily complex. Askeladd doesn't blame the younger man for seeking his demise. In his own way he actually tries to teach Thorfinn, drawing from his own past experiences. But this omnibus makes it tragically clear that Thorfinn is so obsessed with his quest for revenge that he has thought very little beyond it.

Experiments in Manga ( )
  PhoenixTerran | Aug 9, 2014 |

At the turn of the 11th century, the North Sea is in the grip of the Viking terror. The clever Askeladd leads his small band of mercenaries into London, with the aid of the ruthless young Thorfinn, son of a warrior in the dreaded Jomsvikings. But this is an alliance of convenience: Thorfinn has sworn to kill Askeladd one day to avenge his father's death. When a race begins to capture the prince and secure the rights to the throne, personal grudges will clash with the fate of a kingdom, and blood will be spilled!… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible