The Unwritten Vol. 10: War Stories

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross (Illustrator)

Series: The Unwritten TPBs (10), The Unwritten (Apocalypse #1 - #5)

"The tenth volume of the critically-acclaimed new series from the Eisner-nominated creative team, Mike Carey and Peter Gross is the perfect jumping on point, as Tom Taylor is stranded at the beginning of all creation! Lost in the unwritten scenes of all the world's stories, Tom Taylor is headed back to reality -- and all the gods and beasts and monsters ever imagined can't stop him. But there's a toll on the road that may be too high for him or anyone to pay.."--… (more)

English (7)  Dutch (1)  All languages (8)
I'm not sure that I have anything much to say about this book. It was a good read, but Carey's literary theories are becming ever-more convoluted and without much seeming point. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Either complex and demanding attention, or slightly haphazard and fragmented. Either way, good to see things being lined up for the final volume. I think, as this is actually a small volume half of the later volume, the second half may work better when read alongside the follow-on book, but we'll see. ( )
  6loss | Nov 7, 2019 |
The series is rebounding a bit from the crossover. I enjoyed Tom's journey from through the genres, climbing up the ladder from Aesop and the fables to books that have both animals and humans as characters ([book:The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe|100915]), until he makes it back to the literally war torn "real" world, but at this point figuring out the difference between fiction and Tom's reality is impossible. ( )
  Bodagirl | Jan 13, 2016 |
Summary: The Leviathan has been wounded, and the boundaries between stories are weakening and failing faster than ever. Tom Taylor, son of the author Wilson Taylor, and invested with the magical powers of the hero of his father's stories, finds himself lost in stories, trying to get back to the real world - which is, of course, just another story. Meanwhile, the real world is in danger of being torn apart itself, as it is flooded with characters from other stories - in particular, all of the thousands of war stories are simultaneously intersecting with the real London, turning the city into the war zone to end all war zones, which means that Tom and his friends will have real battles to fight before they can hope to reach the forces that are ultimately hoping to put an end to the power of words.

Review: The Unwritten is wrapping up - this is the penultimate volume - and a lot of storylines from earlier in the series are present here, as things begin to be brought to a head. I love the ideas behind this series, about the power of stories to shape our lives and our worlds and our histories, so much that it's difficult to really evaluate any single volume separate from the whole. I'm definitely going to have to go back after the series is complete and read the whole thing beginning to end in order to really appreciate everything that's going on. That said, this volume was certainly interesting, and had a lot of really cool elements that I look forward to seeing how Carey brings together in the end. (I was also so happy to see Narnia pop up towards the beginning of the book, and sort of surprised that it hadn't appeared before now.) 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  fyrefly98 | May 3, 2015 |
My blog post about this book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 10, 2015 |

Mike Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gross, PeterIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,219,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible