Moon knight. [Vol. 1], From the dead by…

Moon knight. [Vol. 1], From the dead (edition 2014)

by Warren Ellis, Chris Eliopoulos, Declan Shalvey, Jordie Bellaire

Member:aidanshenkman
Title:Moon knight. [Vol. 1], From the dead
Authors:Warren Ellis
Other authors:Chris Eliopoulos, Declan Shalvey, Jordie Bellaire
Info:New York : Marvel, 2014.
Collections:Your library, Wishlist, Currently reading, To read, Read but unowned
Tags:comics

Moon Knight Volume 1: From the Dead by Warren Ellis

When I read the blurb that appeared on the title page of each issue, I knew that, no matter the explicit gore or the intense characters or the spartan dialogue or the intense cool factor, I was reading a book that was old-fashioned thirties pulp at its core. The creators only did six issues, all standalones. Only six. Jerks. ( )
  Coach_of_Alva | Nov 11, 2018 |
Moon Knight has always been in the shadow of Batman, but he has some quirks that Batman doesn't, being semi-possessed by an egyptian god (Khonshu, the Moon God) so he has a sort of immortality but he's powered by a powerful sense of justice. Right now he's dealing with some issues to do with how he has split himself into working pieces and often doesn't remember what his other selves do. Talking to entities he sees but no-one else does is not helping the opinion people have of him.

It's interesting to see how he protects those he cares for by distancing himself from them but it's a hard life, even if you do have many selves to talk to and a god watching over you.

It's interesting, much darker than earlier stuff I read, but still I want to read more. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 25, 2018 |
I hadn't read any Warren Ellis comics for a while when I heard about the collections of his work on the Marvel superhero title Moon Knight. From the Dead reprints the first six issues of the new series, which is a continuation rather than a reboot of earlier treatments of the character. I haven't read much of those erstwhile books, and not for a long while, so I didn't make comparisons while reading, and didn't benefit from any coy allusions to earlier storylines.

"Mr. Knight" is declared to have been insane, and it's an open question as to how much sanity he has recovered. His operation in these stories is very "Batman": nocturnal urban vigilante with high-tech accessories. The thing that's most un-Batman is his attire. Where Batman favors dark togs, Moon Knight wears all white in any of his several costumes (old-fashioned cape and cowl, three-piece-suit and full-head mask, or avian pseudo-mummy). This attire is suitably surprising, and when his foes ask, "Who the hell are you?" he answers, "The one you see coming."

As usual, Ellis's pacing and efficient use of dialogue are exquisite. Declan Shalvey's drawings are a good match for the content, in both gritty scenes of violence and episodes of eerie communion with the moon-god Khonsu. The book favors wide, short panels extending across the page and marching down it, giving a recurrent feeling of sinking or falling.

My favorite of the issues collected here is the fourth, "Sleep." It puts Moon Knight in his role of "watcher of overnight travelers" to investigate mishaps at a sleep clinic. The psychedelic fugue of the inquiry is shown in day-glo page compositions that contrast shockingly with the rest of the book, and reminded me of some of the most far-out sequences in The Invisibles or 1970s Doctor Strange.

It was worth my while to borrow this one from the public library.
2 vote paradoxosalpha | Dec 10, 2017 |
Harsh and brutal but intriguing reset of Moon Knight. Leaves it open for the reader to decide if he's insane or immortal & touched by an old god. Not as fascinating as Ellis' other work but enough to make me want to read more. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this 2014 sequence of Moon Knight and though I read them in reverse order, for this character it doesn't matter so much. Moon Knight is an insane but righteous vigilante. In this first episode he dons a spotless white suit and mask (Ellis likes this trope - look at Planetary) which never gets bloody or dirty in spite of Moon Knight's work. His limo is a self-driving car, and he also has moon-shaped glider and drones. As 'Mr Knight' he helps the police with bloody cases, but he also dons mystical Egyptian wrappings to deal with ghosts. I like this mystical or religious aspect of the character plus his mental health isssues; it distinguishes him from Batman who in some ways he resembles. Probably my favourite Marvel character, possibly excepting Dr Strange -- but this reboot is quite different from earlier versions. ( )
  questbird | Jul 30, 2017 |

Marc Spector is Moon Knight! Or is he? It's hard to tell these days, especially when New York's wildest vigilante protects the street with two-fisted justice and three - that's right, count 'em - three different personalities! But even with the mystical force of Egyptian moongod Khonshu fueling his crusade, how does the night's greatest detective save a city that's as twisted as he is? The road to victory is going to hurt. A lot. Be here as Moon Knight punches ghosts(!), investigates a sleep experiment that's driving its patients insane, travels to the mushroom graveyard planet(!!), and takes on twenty mob enforcers to save an abductee...alone. Marvel's most mind-bending adventure begins now as Moon Knight sleuths his way to the rotten core of New York's most bizarre mysteries!

COLLECTING: MOON KNIGHT 1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:38 -0400)

"Marc Spector is Moon Knight! Or is he? It's hard to tell these days, especially when New York's wildest vigilante protects the street with two-fisted justice and three, that's right-- three different personalities!"--P. [4] of cover.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,602,455 books! | Top bar: Always visible